Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I did not get dual-chargers, and I could have used it for the first time on Friday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

e-FTW

New electron smell
Aug 23, 2015
San Francisco, CA
Disclaimers:
  • I do not have home charging (rental condo)
  • I charge at work and a monthly Supercharger visit
  • I lease my car
  • I live at ground zero for EVs, so charging options are plentiful
  • My experience cannot be used to predict yours
  • I am in the 40 amp on-board charger world
  • This is about the S, and only the S (X is 48 to 72 amps)
This is just one piece of data to help you decide. In the end, if you put 100k$ on a car and intend to road trip outside of Supercharger coverage, or you are installing a HPWC, I would definitely swing for the second charger ASAP. Get familiar with amps, and how much of those you are likely to connect to. I have not gotten the second charger yet, because I knew my chances of needing it would be very slim. Public charging stations I have used provided either 16 or 30 amps. And I have yet to meet an outlet that would provide me with more than 40 amps. YMMV!

So this Friday, I happened to be going Richmond, CA for the day. And I had a weekend in Russian river planned. I wanted to have all the charge I could get to have the option of making the weekend without a charging stop, even though the Petaluma SC is right there.

I left for Richmond with a high state of charge (220 miles, since I had the car charge to 100% at the airport on Thursday while I was flying back to SFO). After Richmond, on my way back to the city, I figured I'd swing by a supercharger and top up. Well, when you map it out, you realize that there are no SCs on my way. Hmm...
I checked PlugShare, and it showed a Tesla Store in Corte Madera with HPWCs. I was already planning to take the Golden Gate Bridge on the way back to avoid Bay Bridge traffic, so this was working out real well. I was also starving, and that Store is in an upscale outdoor shopping mall where I was likely to find sustenance. So, I made my way over there, plugged in and walked over to the store to say hi (you are supposed to have an appointment to charge, but it was not busy, they let it slide).

Key: this charger offered up to 72 amps to my car, but it could only draw 40 since I only have the one on-board charger. The charge session lasted about 2 hours. I was charging at 28mph, and had to hang around for something like an extra 45 minutes to get to full charge, which pushed me right into Friday rush hour (albeit of the Bay Area reverse commute). I did have a great hot dog at Stang's, and got some good work done in nice weather. As far as annoyance factor, I'll admit this was a "low". But I am also admitting here, that at that time, I wished I had the dual-charger.

Long story to say this: this was the first time since I got the car last September where having dual-chargers would have made a difference for me.
If you are hesitating and the 2k$ will make a difference, and you cannot identify areas where you will go where it would give you a faster charge, skip it, get the Autopilot or a cool color. Or a nice set of wheels from Evannex. Or paint protection. You can alway get the second charger installed later. :)
If your circumstances are the same as me, I would skip it.

Last edited: