Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I did searches, handling anyone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have searched for a comparison on google and here, but I am not finding my answer. Taking out the Perf M3 can anyone give me a good review/comparision of the STD v Long range handling, fun to drive, acceleration, passing power, cornering. I'd really like to know if it's worth $9k more (I'm doubting it). I am already on the fence about FSD and have read the thread on it last month...my head is still spinning.

Thank you everyone!

They all feel quick due to the instant torque power delivery. I prefer the lighter weight and mid-engine like handling of the SR+ RWD model but I also like the brutal acceleration of the dual motor models as well. If you don't need AWD and the SR range works for you then I would save the money. However, if you are the type of person that will always being wondering if they should have got the faster model and your finances are in order pony up the cash and get the model that you really want. My wife has an SR+ and I have an M3P+. They both are great.

STD vs Long Range does not have very much difference in the handling department. Standard is a bit lighter and some claim that they can feel the difference.
Long range does give faster acceleration and top speed. Biggest difference of course is the longer range on a charge.

I hear the RWD models feel better than any of the AWD models including the Performance due to weight. 400 lbs is a lot of mass and can definitely be felt in hard cornering. Of course feel and capability are two different things and the AWD versions will probably corner harder and get better numbers due to the additional grip and horsepower.

LR AWD vs SR is gonna be a pretty significant difference in acceleration/passing power (and even moreso if you consider the acceleration boost option on the LR AWD)

Handling is gonna be a bit of a mixed bag- the SR is lighter, the LR is AWD- so it'll depend what exactly you're doing

AWD also offers more regen braking by having 2 motors FWIW.

If the fastest car you're used to is like 7 seconds 0-60 either is gonna seem plenty fast though so if the range difference doesn't matter to you the SR is probably fine

If you're used to performance cars and/or might ever need the greater range I think you might find the price difference worth it

I had a RWD and now have AWD - there is a handling difference but it depends on how you drive if you notice/care. Steering on the RWD also felt lighter but I'm acclimated now and it does not matter.

My AWD is a Performance version and the acceleration is absolutely a must-have for some (me). Bigger battery if you take longer trips or have cold climate to deal with - which is why it's a bummer Tesla got rid of the LR RWD since it's a prize for some buyers.

the SR is 5.3 and the LR is 4.4, it's a second I get it, but it's instant ON torque! How is the passing power though? I am curious, I pass cars a lot, multiple. I know how RWD acts vs AWD in ICE cars, but EVs are more torque and I have a PHEV now that I am selling, Fisker Karma, and it's great to drive. I would love a PM3, but only used, I am not paying over $60k for an M3.

the SR is 5.3 and the LR is 4.4, it's a second I get it, but it's instant ON torque! How is the passing power though? I am curious, I pass cars a lot, multiple. I know how RWD acts vs AWD in ICE cars, but EVs are more torque and I have a PHEV now that I am selling, Fisker Karma, and it's great to drive. I would love a PM3, but only used, I am not paying over $60k for an M3.

LR-AWD is actually 3.9 measured the same way the P is... (3.5 if you buy the acceleration boost)

The dual motor cars have significantly more power in general- you see this reflected in the large difference if trap speeds on 1/4 mile runs... AWD vs P is a quite small difference... AWD vs RWD (even LR) is much larger.

I own both and SR+ and M3P+. The 400lbs less weight over the nose of the car allows the SR+ it to wiggle its hips better but the pull out of a corner in the M3P is ridiculous. It is worth every penny. What other performance cars can deliver this level of performance for under $60k?

A Camaro ZL1 will put down a similar 1/4 mile as you can see in this video.

Here is another Tesla M3P vs. a 707HP Hellcat Charger. You can see how easy it is to go fast in the Tesla. No drama, but to some not as much fun without the drama.

A Tesla model 3 corners like a boat relative to a small lightweight spots car. That it will rocket away out of the corner and leaved the sports car for dust afterwards is a given, but these cars don't ' handle'.
Very interesting comment. The varied opinion on handling to me is interesting.

Some have stated the handle/cornering compares well vs sports cars like 3 series BMW and others not so much. Appears very subjective

I have 2018 340i, handling is nice from but not as good as some older 3 series, actually looser at times than I like

I have read an it seems the steering is quicker in the model 3 than a lot of cars. I admit my 340i does not have as tight a steering as my old 2003 530i. BMW has been really criticized for the steering changes.

My personal overall, impression reading these forums is the handling/cornering might be less than the 3 series??? but close

I am sure compared to a 2 series or any Porsche(these cars from what I hear are some of the best handling cars period made) it will be unfair comparison

• Love
Reactions: Jenremoved
Appears very subjective

I agree it's very subjective. I compare all my cars on a two lane levee road with curves. I have the Model 3 Performance with PUP and personally feel the handling isn't as good as my Acura NSX. Not an apples to apples comparison though, as the NSX is a two seat, mid engine car with a 6 speed manual and the Tesla is a 5 seat sports sedan. Straight line acceleration is another story though, as my NSX will be left in a different time zone....

Reactions: T3SLAROD
Very interesting comment. The varied opinion on handling to me is interesting.

Some have stated the handle/cornering compares well vs sports cars like 3 series BMW and others not so much. Appears very subjective

I have 2018 340i, handling is nice from but not as good as some older 3 series, actually looser at times than I like

I have read an it seems the steering is quicker in the model 3 than a lot of cars. I admit my 340i does not have as tight a steering as my old 2003 530i. BMW has been really criticized for the steering changes.

My personal overall, impression reading these forums is the handling/cornering might be less than the 3 series??? but close

I am sure compared to a 2 series or any Porsche(these cars from what I hear are some of the best handling cars period made) it will be unfair comparison

Subjective for sure. It depends what you are used to driving. I came from a C7 GrandSport Corvette that included magnetic ride suspension. It can pull 1.2g on the skid pad vs. .95g on the M3P+ with the Michelin PS4S tires. If you have the 18” ECO tires then you drop down to about .84g.

It handles well for a sport sedan and the limits of city street driving but if you like to track the car then you will probably want to improve the suspension further via the aftermarket.

Reactions: JasonR67
I think it's totally subjective. I came to the Model 3 from a Prius and a F150 pickup, so the handling is amazing compared to those. I imagine if I were used to something like a Miata, though, the M3 would feel like a boat. It *is* still a sedan, after all.

As far as passing performance goes, they're all very snappy. Mountain Pass Performance did dyno runs of the different versions of the M3, and they interestingly found that the SR+ has about the same power to weight above 60 mph as the LR AWD does, so I suspect highway passing performance on both of those is the same.

I think when people say "model 3 handles like boat compared to a sports car" they are thinking actual sports cars (eg Cayman, 911, lotus).

If you're comparing to Sports Sedans or Sports Coupes (bmw 3,4 series), it is comparable in handling, if slightly worse.

I think it's totally subjective. I came to the Model 3 from a Prius and a F150 pickup, so the handling is amazing compared to those. I imagine if I were used to something like a Miata, though, the M3 would feel like a boat. It *is* still a sedan, after all.

As far as passing performance goes, they're all very snappy. Mountain Pass Performance did dyno runs of the different versions of the M3, and they interestingly found that the SR+ has about the same power to weight above 60 mph as the LR AWD does, so I suspect highway passing performance on both of those is the same.
I’m skeptical about that. I’d like to see the evidence. My experience is that my Performance kills the non AWD versions pretty easily. The AWD versions aren’t much slower than the Performance past 60.