Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I didn't expect to pay $35,000 for a model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[QUOTE="codex57, post: 2233115, member: 63413]

And for what it's worth, I had a $35,000 BMW without power seats or real leather. The lack of power seats confused the car wash people, but I didn't think it was all that big a deal. Plus, I think a lot of the confusion had to do with how BMW made the manual controls. There's no bar under the seat to slide the seat back. It's a lever next to other seat levers. Haven't been in another manual seat car that didn't have a bar under the seat to move it back and forth. I change the seating position all the time in one of our cars and I manually push the buttons rather than use the preset cuz I don't always like "my" setting on the preset. I still have to reach for and find and hold a button. It's not all that different than pulling a lever.

.[/QUOTE]

My BMW with power seats and real leather had an MSRP of over $45,000; but I bought it for discounted price of under $40,000. That's the big difference. Options on BMWs and almost all other cars will usually be heavily discounted by the dealers in order to make a sale. Not only does Tesla charge more for their options, they don't discount them.

• Helpful
Reactions: R.S
It comes with heated front seats. Heated mirrors and heat throughout is upgrade package.

Hmm...
screenshot from Model 3
Underlining mine. It doesn't prove it either way, but I'm thinking if the standard seats were heated, they wouldn't be coy about it.

seating.png

Hmm...
screenshot from Model 3
Underlining mine. It doesn't prove it either way, but I'm thinking if the standard seats were heated, they wouldn't be coy about it.

View attachment 239599

You underlined the wrong area. People are looking at the heated seats... THROUGHOUT, including open wood and TWO REAR USB

The front comes with 2 USB but they don't mention it. However, they mention the 2 rear USB as part of the PUP. So, the theory is that the heated seats mentioned THROUGHOUT means PUP comes with rear heated seats while the front was already heated standard, like how it has front USB standard.

I am coming at this from a different angle. Giving up my Lexus SUV (17 mpg) for the Model 3. Goal is to get wife on the EV train and buy the Model Y in a few years. So I will order the base Model 3 with $1,000 paint upgrade. This will be our daily driver to work (36 miles roundtrip). Aft

Reactions: C141medic
I am coming at this from a different angle. Giving up my Lexus SUV (17 mpg) for the Model 3. Goal is to get wife on the EV train and buy the Model Y in a few years. So I will order the base Model 3 with $1,000 paint upgrade. This will be our daily driver to work (36 miles roundtrip). Aft
Once Model Y comes out I can add towing hitch to pull my boat; get largest battery to take long distance trips; EAP for those Interstate drives and PUP for comfort. I see this as more of a chess game than one and done!

Let's not forget you can spec a $35K M220, but you can't have it. With $35K to burn, you don't get the car. A delivery fee to me is lame, even if everyone does it.

The BMW and Merc competition do look bleak in tha Bloomberg table. Some feutures, Tesla may lack that the Germans do offer.

The BMW and Merc competition do look bleak in tha Bloomberg table. Some feutures, Tesla may lack that the Germans do offer.

My main worry is Tesla's lack of refinement and luxury. Right now, the EV experience so outweighs everything else, that it's not an issue. However, in a few years when the other luxury brands finally get into the EV game for real, I hope Tesla can ramp up their quality and refinement game faster than the others can ramp up their EV tech. Tesla doesn't have to "win", just sort of keep up.

My main worry is Tesla's lack of refinement and luxury. Right now, the EV experience so outweighs everything else, that it's not an issue. However, in a few years when the other luxury brands finally get into the EV game for real, I hope Tesla can ramp up their quality and refinement game faster than the others can ramp up their EV tech. Tesla doesn't have to "win", just sort of keep up.

Even when they catch up with EV tech, hopefully Tesla will be a leader with autonomous driving tech. Even as far as brand recognition goes, more people have likely heard of Tesla Autopilot vs Nissan Pro Pilot or GM Supercruise. Even though this was due to bad press, it had a positive impact for the brand.

I realize the configurator will be the answer to many pricing questions, but Tesla hasn't done a great job with the pricing info released to date. For example, on the delivery estimate page it is a mystery when I can buy a $44,000 LR version. Will I be able to get the car in the initial three month time block, the second three month time block, the third time block....or other? I'm willing to cough up the $9,000 but $44,000 is the highest my budget will absorb and it seems I should be able to start planning for that purchase by now. If I can get it in my first three month timeframe (Oct-Dec 2017), I need to juggle some finances around pretty soon to ensure the $7500 credit can be used, but at this point I have no idea if the $44,000 version will be built this year.
I disagree, it's pretty clear.

You'll be able to get the $44k version when the base model ($35k) is available.

If it's not dual motors and it's not LR with premium upgrade then it's in the second time block.

Even Tesla doesn't know. Their ramp up in production is uncharted territory for them. You're still essentially dealing with a startup. And one that is trying to downplay any info on your car because they've got way more demand than they can handle.

As a startup, their "estimated" delivery times are optimistic. If I'm optimistic, than I'd expect my car at the tail end of the time frame they gave me. Just look at how long the delays were for the S and X.

Not according to pretty much everyone who reviewed the M3. The look and feel of the interior has generally been raved over. From a feature standpoint, it's also very competitive.

In my head, I was thinking more of the S/X and the luxury of cars at that level. That said, it can apply to the M3 too, although you're getting more into the preferences for ultra minimalist interiors vs I guess non-minimalist?

I have to go reread like all the reviews, but I just got the sense that they were happy with the M3 interior in a relieved and pleasantly surprised kind of way. That stuff felt nice. Not that it's class leading in any way or even on par with the better ones. More in a "much better than a Chevy Bolt". Look at the C class interior for example. Even the shape of the vents are a design element. Maybe it's a smart watch vs old school mechanical watch argument, I dunno, but subjectively to me, the C-class interior is far more "luxurious" as to how I define luxury. And price-wise, the M3 really is competing against the 3 and C and A4.

But, what I was really thinking about was at the S/X level. At $35,000, the M3 is technically even competing against an Accord so take the non-PUP interior up against an Accord's interior. Or Mazda 6. But at the S/X, then you're at Audi A8, S-class, and up. They've recently released pictures of the new 2018 Lexus LS500. That's kind of what prompted this for me. Too many pictures to point to in particular, but just look at this car and imagine if Toyota ever got it's act together and made it an EV:

The 2018 Lexus LS Showcases Handcrafted Japanese Artistry

In my head, I was thinking more of the S/X and the luxury of cars at that level. That said, it can apply to the M3 too, although you're getting more into the preferences for ultra minimalist interiors vs I guess non-minimalist?

I have to go reread like all the reviews, but I just got the sense that they were happy with the M3 interior in a relieved and pleasantly surprised kind of way. That stuff felt nice. Not that it's class leading in any way or even on par with the better ones. More in a "much better than a Chevy Bolt". Look at the C class interior for example. Even the shape of the vents are a design element. Maybe it's a smart watch vs old school mechanical watch argument, I dunno, but subjectively to me, the C-class interior is far more "luxurious" as to how I define luxury. And price-wise, the M3 really is competing against the 3 and C and A4.

But, what I was really thinking about was at the S/X level. At $35,000, the M3 is technically even competing against an Accord so take the non-PUP interior up against an Accord's interior. Or Mazda 6. But at the S/X, then you're at Audi A8, S-class, and up. They've recently released pictures of the new 2018 Lexus LS500. That's kind of what prompted this for me. Too many pictures to point to in particular, but just look at this car and imagine if Toyota ever got it's act together and made it an EV:

The 2018 Lexus LS Showcases Handcrafted Japanese Artistry

To each their own. I think that thing is hideous, inside and out, from the weird front grille to the strange looking pattern on the inside of the doors. I think the Model S and Model 3 are far and away better looking cars.

Last edited:
[
Even Tesla doesn't know. Their ramp up in production is uncharted territory for them. You're still essentially dealing with a startup. And one that is trying to downplay any info on your car because they've got way more demand than they can handle.

As a startup, their "estimated" delivery times are optimistic. If I'm optimistic, than I'd expect my car at the tail end of the time frame they gave me. Just look at how long the delays were for the S and X.

A couple years ago people were using exactly that same logic to confidently predict that Tesla wouldn't be shipping the Model 3 until 2019. Who knows, but I'm just saying.