Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I didn't expect to pay $35,000 for a model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Range anxiety in these cars might only apply to "trips" or non-standard driving. For example, I drive a lot and yet I personally HATE to go to the gas station (ironic). My current vehicle gets about 500 miles per tank which was actually a purchase consideration because I hate going to the gas station. So while someone might think I should be looking to get a 500 mile EV, I would totally disagree. My daily commute is 110 miles round trip. So, I currently have to go to the gas station once a week (yuck). With either SR or LR M3, I will comfortably start my morning commute with a "full tank" after having charged in my garage at night. I don't have to go to the gas station EVER. I don't even have to go to a supercharger station if I don't take a trip or some other non-standard drive. While I will be getting the LR, I would see even the shorter 220 mi range as a serious re-fueling upgrade since I get to do it at home now.

What interested me in the tesla model 3 in the first place was the self driving capabilities; and I knew the software was an extra cost option. That option on the model S added about 10%; so I expected to pay about $4000 extra for it on the model 3. Other than that, the features which come standard on all other $35,000 cars (power windows, mirrors, seats etc.) would suffice. Accordingly, I expected to pay around $39,000 (maybe a little more, but less than the average Musk expected of $42,000). But if you had told me that it would cost me $49,000 for that car, I would have laughed in your face--that would've suggested that Tesla had been conning us all along--and Elon Musk had a much better reputation than that.

There has been only one substantial cost change while the model 3 has been under development--the cost of copper (hence the cost of electric motors e.g. power seats) has fallen about 50%. That is one reason why every other "$35,000" car includes electric seats, mirrors etc. as standard. This has been clearly a bait and switch.
Having math trouble? 35+8=43

My calculation is as follows: $35,000 + $8000 (full self driving) + $1000 (I hate black) + $5000 (premium interior) = $49,000.
Being "forced to buy," is an interesting concept. In an era when electric motors are cheap, only a stripped-down base model does not include power seats. I won't pay $44,000 for a stripped-down base model of any car.
Lolz. Then don't buy it. Toodles!

They're just trying to inflate the price as much as they can, which is a stupid game that short sellers in the media also apparently enjoy playing. Even worse are those who insist that it's not really a $35k car because you can't buy one in that config (yes, you can - you have to be patient for a whopping few extra months), or that it's not a $35k car because nobody would want to buy one in its base config (even though its base stats are better and more feature rich than other cars in its class, some of which don't even have bloody navigation standard).

This game was annoying the first time I saw it, but by now it's just tiring.

M3 wins in price / feature / performance comparisons in its class even without taking into account tax incentives and gas savings or the convenience of not having to go to gas stations. Tack on the LR option if you want (not everyone wants to - I'm certainly not getting it), and even still it remains competitive when all is said and done.

Or one can be utterly disingenous and pretend that a midrange sports sedan is somehow equivalent to a Lada. :Þ

Why can't you guys argue honestly; why do you have to constantly impugn the integrity of your opponents? And if you want to talk about being disingenuous, what about comparing the M3 to the BMW 320i? The M3 cannot reasonably be compared with the BMW 320i. Not only does the 320i list for less than the M3, I have been able to get substantial discounts on the BMWs I have bought. My Z4 had an MSRP of over $45,000 and I bought it for less than $40,000. So the model you need to be looking at is a BMW 330i. The 330i come standard with premium features like the M3 PUP, good-looking aluminum alloy wheels and white paint in addition to black. An M3 with those features + delivery costs: $35,000 +$5000+ $1000 + $1500 + $1200 = $43,700. The BMW 330i + delivery costs: $38,750 + $995 = $39,745--and that is before you factor in the discount (and yes, the 330i is actually faster than the M3). Moreover, that is without adding the additional $9000 to make the M3 a long distance road car like the 330i.

I'm curious ... what competitor car pricing did you find with EAP, future FSD, LTE and wi-fi ?

After all, if those features are available on a bare bones Tesla, surely they are available and cheap on ICE cars.

The comparison/competitor pricing argument was started by Tesla and its fanboys: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/239508/
Moreover, that comparison is basically dishonest because they should have used the BMW 330i not the 320i (See my post above). There is one part of your argument with which I agree though: EAP/FSD; it is one of the primary reasons why I am getting an M3 notwithstanding that I am displeased with the new pricing.

Last edited:
The M3 cannot reasonably be compared with the BMW 320i.

330i is closest, and yes, it absolutely can. Not to mention that journalists who drove and rode in M3 explicitly stated it to be a threat to BMW's 3-series.

I have been able to get substantial discounts on the BMWs I have bought

And once M3s start accumulating in stock you'll be able to buy floor models and the like.

The 330i come standard with premium features like the M3 PUP

Nonsense. The base 330i doesn't even have navigation or a backup camera standard, let alone PUP features; both are optional extras. Despite starting out at a much higher initial price point, and getting no tax credits, and having to pay for gasoline**. Backup camera and ultrasonic sensors are $950 extra for the 330i. M3's standard safety assist features cost $1700. Navigation costs $2750 more, and still doesn't come with anywhere near M3's 15" screen - although they do offer a HUD (if you want one for M3, you can do that as a $500 aftermarket option). Full LED is lighting is $800 extra on i330, but standard on M3. Want a half-hearted remote control and anything better than standard radio? You need the premium package ($2450).

** Even simply reducing fuel costs on the BMW is a significant premium. Going to diesel increases the MPG but adds $1500 to the cost and reduces the acceleration from 5,5s 0-60 to a terrible 7,4.

Want PUP-like figures? You need to start adding add-ons like the Luxury package ($1,45k) for nice upholstery, the sport package ($3k) for nice trims, cold weather ($850), moonroof comes with the aforementioned $2450 premium package, $500 for wireless charging, improved sound is $875, and on and on and on.

good-looking aluminum alloy wheels

17" wheels rather than 18", and M3 aeros are just a cap over alloy wheels. 18" wheels are a $660 premium on the 330i.

and white paint in addition to black

Yes, a whopping one more colour. Plain white, not pearl.

I'm sorry, there is no way that the i330 wins this comparison.

Last edited:
330i is closest, and yes, it absolutely can. Not to mention that journalists who drove and rode in M3 explicitly stated it to be a threat to BMW's 3-series.

Yes, a whopping one more colour. Plain white, not pearl.

I'm sorry, there is no way that the i330 wins this comparison.

Your citation referenced in red said that it would take options up to $43,950 for the BMW 330i to equal the features on the M3 but it ignored the fact that you would have to option the M3 up to $43,750 to equal the features on the BMW 330i. But in recognizing that you can get a real discount now on the BMW, not a hypothetical future discount like on the M3, makes the BMW less expensive. Furthermore that doesn't include the extra $9000 you would have to add to the M3 to make it a long distance road car like the 330i.
But please don't forget that these comparisons were started by Tesla and its fanboys by disingenuously comparing the M3 to the BMW 320i.

The white on the M3 may be called "Pearl" but it's really just plain white--it doesn't have the luminescence that a real Pearl paint has.

Nonetheless, I'm still going to purchase the M3--I just don't like bait and switch pricing.
Tesla’s Model 3 isn’t a luxury car, but it’s priced like one

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: insaneoctane
Your citation referenced in red said that it would take options up to $43,950 for the BMW 330i to equal the features on the M3 but it ignored the fact that you would happen to option the M3 up to $43,750 to equal the features on the BMW 330i. But in recognizing that you can get a real discount now on the BMW, not a hypothetical future discount like on the M3, makes the BMW less expensive. Furthermore that doesn't include the extra $9000 you would have to add to the M3 to make it a long distance road car like the 330i.
But please don't forget that these comparisons were started by Tesla and its fanboys by disingenuously comparing the M3 to the BMW 320i. Nonetheless, I'm still going to purchase the M3--I just don't like bait and switch pricing.

Let's go dollars for donuts.

320i manual seats, automatic, red, 17" base wheels: $35,145 MSRP. 0-60mph = 7.1 seconds. Economy = 28 mpg combined, premium.
i3 stripped. Base color, stripped interior. $45,445. 0-60mph = 7.2 seconds. Range = 114 miles.
Model 3 stripped in red. ~$37,000 before referral, Fed, State, Utility discounts. 0-60mph = 5.6 seconds. Range = 220 miles.

None of those cars are equipped with anything but paint.

The cheapest car for most people after incentives is going to be the Model 3 220.
But without incentives, even at today's low gas prices, the M3-220 will match the 320i price in under 2 years using EPA data for the average driver. EPA says $1500 worth of premium per year. An EV with M3 specs will use about $500 of electricity.

Now the problem is the 320i is an economy car with economy performance, but uses premium, and is $1000 per 5 years more thirsty than the typical ICE car in it's sector. It a 'badge' car for folk who want to appear more affluent than they are, and are willing to burn more gas to do it, and care little about performance.

I just went to the BMW website. The 330i is definitely the most comparable car. There's no perfect correlation of options, but the base $35,000 M3 roughly equates to a $46,000ish 330i. The BMW has a lot of PUP features in it, so if you throw in the PUP stuff, than we're talking a $49,000ish BMW.

That's LR M3 with PUP pricing. But let's discount the BMW $5,000. The base M3 with PUP is still a fantastic deal. What with the faster performance and the option to get EAP, even the LR M3 isn't looking too bad financially. It's most definitely a threat to the 3 series.

The pricing/options don't match up perfectly, but I can't get a Mercedes or Audi to match up perfectly either. Every company does pricing their own way so at best, you just get a rough comparison if you're using options/pricing.

I guess people who wanted the base car are disappointed, people like me who wanted a loaded car are delighted that they don't have to spend $70k+. I am also very happy that $49k car gets priority. If I remember with the S and the X to get priority you had to buy the performance version which costs closer to $149k than $49k

I really wasn't expecting 310 mile range + leather upgraded audio etc for $49k minus $10k here in CA... wow. Then sport wheels only $1.5k?? $5.8k on the model S!!

I know some here were expecting all those things but I wasn't. I am glad I was wrong and..

Also, I am so glad that the performance version is delayed!!!! I know a few will be mad at me for saying that... but I would really hate to see $70k+ something cars shipped first..

I can't wait

$35K base model
plus $1K for a paint color other than black
plus shipping to Pittsburgh, I've seen $1200 listed for that
plus sales tax
plus loan fees
and just like that, the base $35K car is now more like $40K with NO options. I don't consider changing the paint color as an option, it is more of an excuse for Tesla to pull another $1000 out of us to avoid the ugly black paint.

And no one needs power seats, unless they are really lazy. I nearly never move my seat once it is set.

$35K base model
plus $1K for a paint color other than black
plus shipping to Pittsburgh, I've seen $1200 listed for that
plus sales tax
plus loan fees
and just like that, the base $35K car is now more like $40K with NO options. I don't consider changing the paint color as an option, it is more of an excuse for Tesla to pull another $1000 out of us to avoid the ugly black paint.

And no one needs power seats, unless they are really lazy. I nearly never move my seat once it is set.

It's kind of unfair those other cars don't have loan fees or taxes. Or delivery fees...

I'll give you the paint, though even there charging for an actual color is common, though ridiculous.