Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I Didn't Get Tech Package - Is There a Turn-by-Turn Workaround with Internet Screen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ahhh... Whether or not the Google maps nav gets developed, it doesn't detract from the tech package in my opinion. There are still other features inherent within the tech package that made it worthwhile. I'd never go back to halogens after having had HID lamps for the past 6 years. I love the fact that my key looks exactly the same as it did on delivery day, albeit, I hardly ever see the key, and never touch it. Home link with location awareness? Schweet! I like the cornering lamps and don't miss having active cornering headlamps because I feel like the lighting is more than adequate. I like the convenience lighting, the control I have over my rear hatchback, and the clarity of the rear camera.

If they bump up the quality of the google piece, it only make for icing on delicious cake. Hopefully the changes include orientation updates and vector graphics, greater zoom capabilities, POI mapping and favorites. That is of more value to me.

To put this thread squarely back on track, I'm hopeful that the tesla solution provides a suitable workaround, although I recommend a good smartphone mount and Waze. You'll be bi-winning with that.

+1 for WAZE

I have used and like WAZE too, however it does require a data connection. Here in Canada, data is a lot more expensive than in the US and you can just forget about roaming! I use the TomTom app on my iPhone because it downloads all the maps on to the device. Great for when I travel because I get a pretty good GPS on my phone that doesn't use or need any mobile data.

I suspect if they do offer Google turn-by-turn navigation, it will be highly dependent on the 3G connection. If it drops (as it does especially in the country where cell coverage is poor), you'll no longer get those instructions. The reason for the Tech Package nav, is to have directions even if 3G skips a beat. As a bonus you get a secondary 3D mapping view that is not available on Google maps. The Tech Package nav portion is licensed from Garmin, and I'm sure it was not free for them to supply it. Anyway, I think it's worth it as part of the Tech package.

Well, from what I gather... GARMIN functionality, with 7 years of map updates is only on the Tech Package. The only workaround would be to use your mobile phone to get turn by turn directions... I could be wrong though.

Pretty sure all cellular chips include GPS radios these days. Many also have GLONASS as well.

Indeed - though I don't know of any that have GLONASS yet. But there are differences among the devices in terms of how well they keep a lock. A Nexus 7 is the best of the ones I've tried (as good as the Garmin 500/800 cycling units, not quite as good as the new 510/810), a Nexus 4 is better than most. Google Maps is getting better at pre-caching along a driving route, plus you can manually pre-cache yourself, but it's true that in the absence of a good connection the voice instructions still seem fall back to something a little more generic that's on par with most purpose-built nav systems (and again, different phones can do better/worse at keeping a data connection going in marginal areas).

There's also the Garmin GLO, which you can slave an Android phone to for location.

I've had a lot of trouble getting my Garmin or my phone mount to stick to the windshield, but I admit I gave up pretty quickly. What's the coating your referring to?

The front windshield, and the pano glass (both of them), have a metallic film inside of the glass. You can see this if you look very closely at the edge of the glass near the edge blackout. It will block virtually all radio signals, as well as block most IR radiation that would heat up your car. I would imagine putting a Navigation device in the center of your dash wouldn't work very well. I would expect one towards the side of the car to work acceptably. Or one down in the cabin of the vehicle.

Maybe stick it to the 17" display!

So is there any option to buy the Tech Package later? Is it only software? Certainly the navigation portion of it is.

Xenon headlights - There's a $2600 Xenon Headlamp Retrofit package for the Roadster. It seems reasonable that they would offer the same for Model S at some point.
Electrochromatic side mirrors & Convenience lighting - I opted against the Tech Package and still got these.
LED cornering lights, Power rear liftgate, HD back-up camera - These could theoretically be upgrades like the headlights, but it's anyone's guess.
Homelink - It's possible this could be software based, if the hardware for it is cheap enough to warrant installing by default and enabling/disabling it via software.
Turn-by-turn navigation & Automatic keyless entry - These are certainly only software, but whether Tesla will offer them as upgrades is unknown.

Personally, I'm really hoping they'll offer the Nav, and if I had to guess I would say they probably will, but I'm not sure yet how much I would pay for it. I can get a standalone Garmin with lifetime updates for $100-200, but I would still pay a premium to have it integrated.

Some of you have mentioned using bluetooth to hear the turn bu turn directions from a map/GPS app on your smartphone through the Model S speakers. When you are using that, are you able to listen to any music/audio in the car, or is it silent except for the directions for the entirety of the programmed route?

With the turn by turn in the Tech package, I am listening to my music/news/etc. Whenever I get to the next turn, the music is decreased and the direction is voiced over the driver front speaker, then the music goes back full when the Nav is not speaking.

I've found the TomTom app on my iPhone works great when I travel and have a rental car (there is a Garmin app as well). It gives pretty good voice turn-by-turn directions, and if you pair it via Bluetooth, you should have a workable audio solution at least. (I like these apps because they include all the maps on the phone, and I don't have to incur data roaming charges when I'm out of the country).
I can say the same for Navigon on Android. I like it for the very same reasons. BTW, Navigon is also what Tesla uses for Navigation in cars w/ Tech Pkg (along with Google maps on the center screen).

Some of you have mentioned using bluetooth to hear the turn bu turn directions from a map/GPS app on your smartphone through the Model S speakers. When you are using that, are you able to listen to any music/audio in the car, or is it silent except for the directions for the entirety of the programmed route?

With the turn by turn in the Tech package, I am listening to my music/news/etc. Whenever I get to the next turn, the music is decreased and the direction is voiced over the driver front speaker, then the music goes back full when the Nav is not speaking.
If you use your phone as your music source at the same time, which many owners on this forum seem to do, anyway, then you have the same experience as with the built-in Nav.

If you use your phone as your music source at the same time, which many owners on this forum seem to do, anyway, then you have the same experience as with the built-in Nav.

That has been my experience using my TomTom app on the iPhone, however, if you are listening to the car's audio (i.e. a radio station) the audio will cut out completely when turn-by-turn instructions are spoken, just like a phone call would.

I actually emailed Waze the other day and told them they should get in touch with Tesla about creating an App for the Model S...How cool would that be?

Would be exceedingly cool! But given Tesla already has Google maps and Navigon navigation I doubt they are going to allow outside navigation apps. Insert iPhone google maps scandal/debacle here....

if they did allow it I bet a lot of people wouldn't get the tech package (which would cost tesla thousands of dollars).

Would be exceedingly cool! But given Tesla already has Google maps and Navigon navigation I doubt they are going to allow outside navigation apps. Insert iPhone google maps scandal/debacle here....

if they did allow it I bet a lot of people wouldn't get the tech package (which would cost tesla thousands of dollars).

I look at it exactly like the introduction of the iPhone...no initial app store, but they came around and opened one soon after. I think Tesla will allow navigation apps in the future. The tech package provides offline nav and many other features that wouldn't necessarily be possible through an app, so while some people would opt out of tech if there were other nav options, many would still choose to get that upgrade because of everything that is bundled with it. I've read quite a few posts where people say they are getting Tech just for the xenon headlamps, but I've also heard Tesla will offer an aftermarket xenon upgrade. I don't think Tesla is trying to squeeze more money out of us by bundling options, I think some of those things were bundled to make production/ramp up go smoother. My 2 cents...