Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I dipped my Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Definitely a cool color - but as others have pointed out, that is definitely not the way you paint a car properly. That is how a beater is painted for $199 before selling it. Please tell us you didn't just throw a layer of paint over the existing body, and only taped trim off. That would be a shame for a $100K+ car, and would have completely devalued the car, making it unsellable. Really hope it was a special treatment like plastic-dip or something.

Every kit comes with one. LMAO!
image.jpg

the orange peal effect........ is this something you were among for?

Oh yeah, I figured what better way to represent the Florida state fruit than to drive a gigantic orange with orange peel. Also, u know how they say Tesla is the Apple of cars, well I thought they could now compare apples to oranges. :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

They painted over the side turn signal lights?

IMG_4542 2.JPG

Now I have to find a good color to paint my calipers. Suggestions?

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't done any of the jambs. I don't know if I will. If I do, it won't be anytime soon. This took a lot of my time. Need a short break. :smile: It still needs a little work. I just couldn't leave my fellow Tesla friends in the dark anymore. It was too big a secret. Hard to keep this news bottled up.

Beautiful color mate. I'd say, either paint the calipers that same exterior color, or go for the dark contrast hue of the same color, so, it'd be a dark drown. Depends on what you want your scheme to be.

This is a pretty cool and seems like the easiest/cheapest way to change the color of your car. How long does the "dip" last? Does it offer any protection to rock chips, etc? Also, how much time and money did this total job cost?

It provides excellent paint protection against rock chips and also keying. I keyed one of my sample pieces about 10 times. I peeled it and it never scraped the piece underneath. Amazing. I might have to get a video of me doing that.

It it was about $550 in supplies. If I was going for a matte finish, it would've been about $200. Satin burnt copper would've been about $400. I wanted high gloss so it was $550 for me. It took me about 8 hours at the spray booth. In hindsight I think I could've taped up more before heading over to the booth. I did feel a little rushed towards the end of my rental.

If if properly maintained the dip should last about 2 years. But when I can change the color of my car for so little, I don't think it'll last me two years.

I've got a ton of speed shapes with different colors I tested out. I'll post pics of those soon. Most of them are blue as that was the color I was shooting for. But when Tesla unveiled the Ocean Blue, that idea went down the drain. I was going for a very unique color. I think I found it.

Last edited: