Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I dipped my Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today's project is done. I will admit it does look a little odd without the rest of the car being done but oh well.
IMG_5431.JPG
IMG_5430.JPG
IMG_5429.JPG

I like the silver nosecone on the burnt orange. I'm reserving judgement on the rims until the car is done. I repeat my offer to come down and gracious provide my Model S as a guinea pig. Be nice to see the crowd after reading the posts by you and your neighbors/friends.

I'm glad you posted the FX pic - I wanted to too. Bought one of the first of that color in SoCal and always have loved it. It's been a great car too, though now looks a little more shabby than that pic :/

Couldn't find a copper wrap for the S that I thought looked right. Still not sure about the orange peel texture of the dip, and have xpel already, but if I ever remove it, I am tempted to play around with dip or wrap colors. Also considered looking for a copper finish on the hypothetical 20" wheels I may switch to once the tires on my 21's wear out. I'm not sure but I think it'd look ok on a black car, and the old blue is functionally black most of the time :)

I'm glad you posted the FX pic - I wanted to too. Bought one of the first of that color in SoCal and always have loved it. It's been a great car too, though now looks a little more shabby than that pic :/

Couldn't find a copper wrap for the S that I thought looked right. Still not sure about the orange peel texture of the dip, and have xpel already, but if I ever remove it, I am tempted to play around with dip or wrap colors. Also considered looking for a copper finish on the hypothetical 20" wheels I may switch to once the tires on my 21's wear out. I'm not sure but I think it'd look ok on a black car, and the old blue is functionally black most of the time :)

The orange peel is mainly due to inexperience. If u have a professional dip your car then the texture will be as minimal as vinyl wrap. As I dip more, the texture will lessen. The main differences between dip and wrap besides the obvious is - The color combinations for dip is practically limitless whereas your choices for wrap a limited to the colors manufactured. Dip is more for the person who wants to change the color of their car more often. It's easier to peel and apply. And a bit cheaper too.

More than a bit cheaper! I've shipped my Model S about 4 times since I started posting here. And I love the flexibility to change it! Actually a few weekends ago I dipped just my hood for my boys wedding in Boston. Put the Guyanese flag on it. Haven't taken it off yet cause I haven't had the time, but looked amazing!

More than a bit cheaper! I've shipped my Model S about 4 times since I started posting here. And I love the flexibility to change it! Actually a few weekends ago I dipped just my hood for my boys wedding in Boston. Put the Guyanese flag on it. Haven't taken it off yet cause I haven't had the time, but looked amazing!

Pics or it didn't happen.

A flat color can run about $150-$200. Satin can cost $250-$400. Gloss can cost $400-$600 Supplies alone. A simple HVLP compressor setup will work.

Damn, gonna make me do it huh?

That's my boy on the left, me on the right, Sapna below. If you in the DC area, probably seen me driving around. Going to have a new dress on my baby next week though.

10631236_10101376194477275_4517114920561911260_o.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

One more... Me with the Bride, and Sapna without the masking...

11709644_10102858117017510_5231175617542883864_n.jpg