Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I disassembled my driver door handle, please help me fix it ! :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Symptoms, three long squeals instead of going in/out then it gives up.
The motor moves fine when applied 10v/ limited to 0.5A
The handle works well when stowing, but clearly don't know its position.
There are two internal connectors on top; LED and motor.
The lower 6-pin connector had some, not much, corrosion, I cleaned it.

The lower connector pin 1-2 are for the LED, 5,6 for the motor.
pin3-4 must be the hall effect transistor/or reed relay (whatever it is using)

one way - I measure 2v (as if there was a diode between), or 16Mohm
swapping the leads around the other way I cant measure any continuity.

The handle's position (and the magnet near the hall sensor does not affect the measurement. (!)

Does anyone know the "normal" / correct signals/levels ? - is the hall sensor completely enclosed, or can it be corroded? / is it worth opening?
are those two pins supposed to be shorted when handle is stowed(or extended?)

I have attached the photo of the handle assembly:
20211020_175213.jpg

For around $100 (new)

Left

Right

Good luck

the "left driver side" - won't ship to Europe.. hooray :)
I reassembled the door as-is , there is some soft of hall effect sensor with high angular precision inside, and I do not even know if it is a reed relay based device or a semiconductor.

the "left driver side" - won't ship to Europe.. hooray :)
I reassembled the door as-is , there is some soft of hall effect sensor with high angular precision inside, and I do not even know if it is a reed relay based device or a semiconductor.
Hello Ande,
I have an 2018 MS and have the same problem, three squeals 2-3 seconds apart, then the door handle stops. Last night, it started to squeal and never stopped. I had to pull the door panel off and disconnect the handle control module.
How did you resolve your issue?
Thanks in advance!

Hello Ande,
I have an 2018 MS and have the same problem, three squeals 2-3 seconds apart, then the door handle stops. Last night, it started to squeal and never stopped. I had to pull the door panel off and disconnect the handle control module.
How did you resolve your issue?
Thanks in advance!

Their post was from Oct 2021. I suspect their issue has been resolved ;)

Their post was from Oct 2021. I suspect their issue has been resolved ;)
Agreed that their issue is resolved. That's what I'm hoping for, and maybe some feedback on how they resolved it.
There doesn't seem to be a lot of feedback on the Gen 3 handles. Some resolve themselves, some have to have them recalibrated, and some have the whole handle assembly replaced. This member seems to have a very good grasp of how the Gen 3's work. I know it's been about 1.5 years, but I figured it was worth a shot.