Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I do miss my Honda's dumb cruise control!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It might be more relaxing for you with the Honda, but not for the pedestrians unaware that the Honda might plow into them at any time. It really sounds like you should not have been using any sort of cruise, smart or not, on some of those roads. The Honda, being dumb, is going to be convenient, but unsafe. The Tesla, inconvenient but safe. I know which I'd choose.
Tesla tacc safe…thats funny. You should try the australian version. Even tesla’s own manual admits and warns it has a mind of its own and reacts to nothing.

Tesla tacc safe…thats funny. You should try the australian version. Even tesla’s own manual admits and warns it has a mind of its own and reacts to nothing.

Setting aside the issue of where it is safe or advisable to use CC...

You drive a Honda with dumb cruise control on normal roads. A pedestrian walks out into the road in front of the car. The car runs the pedestrian down. Always.

You drive a Tesla with TACC on normal roads. A pedestrian walks out into the road in front of the car. The car attempts to stop and/or avoid hitting the pedestrian.

Now tell me which is safer.

The OP was implying that a dumb CC was "better" because it didn't slow down unexpectedly, but "better" in the post really meant "more comfortable for me", not "contributing to overall road safety".

Setting aside the issue of where it is safe or advisable to use CC...

You drive a Honda with dumb cruise control on normal roads. A pedestrian walks out into the road in front of the car. The car runs the pedestrian down. Always.

You drive a Tesla with TACC on normal roads. A pedestrian walks out into the road in front of the car. The car attempts to stop and/or avoid hitting the pedestrian.

Now tell me which is safer.

The OP was implying that a dumb CC was "better" because it didn't slow down unexpectedly, but "better" in the post really meant "more comfortable for me", not "contributing to overall road safety".
Equally, you drive a dumb cruise control and it just drives. You drive a tesla tacc and for no apparent reason it slams the brakes on (per the manual) causing a car load of people behind it to slam into the back of the tesla. Multiple people get whiplash. Thats not safer.
The pedestrian example I can see coming and take action. Thats my role as driver. The shadow rapid braking I cannot act fast enough as I don’t know it is about to occur. Tesla tacc is dangerous and unpredictable.

Equally, you drive a dumb cruise control and it just drives. You drive a tesla tacc and for no apparent reason it slams the brakes on (per the manual) causing a car load of people behind it to slam into the back of the tesla. Multiple people get whiplash. Thats not safer.
Can you provide an example of this actually happening? And what is the relative frequency of that (if it ever happens) compared to the number of times the car has avoided running down a pedestrian or otherwise mitigated what would have been a serious accident?

Can you provide an example of this actually happening? And what is the relative frequency of that (if it ever happens) compared to the number of times the car has avoided running down a pedestrian or otherwise mitigated what would have been a serious accident?
You havn’t heard of or experienced tesla phantom braking?
Its all over the site and indeed now referenced in the manual.
I’ve had it happen to me multiple times. Is like full brake instantly. Last one the car behind me locked up and I was quick enough to take over to avoid a major accident. Neither I nor my tesla have run over any pedestrians. Neither I nor any previous car I have owned has run over any pedestrians. Not sure why that is the excuse for accepting the other deficiencies.
The last time it happened I was able to accurately time stamp it, and tesla agreed that there was a major braking incident and that there was nothing there to brake for.
I no longer use tesla TACC due to the frequency of this problem, and tesla’s inability to advise me that they can fix it

Reactions: Quamera
Let's be clear you're saying a Tesla braking isn't safe because the car behind you isn't following at a safe distance. Ideally the car behind would also have collision avoidance and maintains a safe distance to brake. Being cautious when it comes to vulnerable road users (pedestrians, cyclists) is the correct priority.

Reactions: drtimhill
You havn’t heard of or experienced tesla phantom braking?
Its all over the site and indeed now referenced in the manual.
I’ve had it happen to me multiple times. Is like full brake instantly. Last one the car behind me locked up and I was quick enough to take over to avoid a major accident. Neither I nor my tesla have run over any pedestrians. Neither I nor any previous car I have owned has run over any pedestrians. Not sure why that is the excuse for accepting the other deficiencies.
The last time it happened I was able to accurately time stamp it, and tesla agreed that there was a major braking incident and that there was nothing there to brake for.
I no longer use tesla TACC due to the frequency of this problem, and tesla’s inability to advise me that they can fix it
Of course I've heard of PB. And I'm sure you have not hit any pedestrians, but that's not the point. It's not how many pedestrians you personally have hit, that's absurd (I hope), it's how many overall accidents TACC has prevented with non-phantom braking events vs accidents caused by PB events. Of course this is incredibly hard to quantify. For a start, avoided accidents dont get recorded very well (if at all); the police dont get called to "an accident that didn't happen". But, regardless of the practicalities, if TACC is preventing more accidents than it is causing, then its a net win. Sure, Tesla should (and indeed are) work on lowering the false-positive (PB) events, but not at the expense of the true positive events.

Reactions: Lachlan Smith
Let's be clear you're saying a Tesla braking isn't safe because the car behind you isn't following at a safe distance. Ideally the car behind would also have collision avoidance and maintains a safe distance to brake. Being cautious when it comes to vulnerable road users (pedestrians, cyclists) is the correct priority.
Almost all accidents occur because one road user did something wrong, and the way to keep out of accidents is to drive for yourself and defensively against those around you. This includes tailgaters, pedestrians, cyclists, animals, and other drivers. It doesn’t help when your own car does something unplanned.

Reactions: Quamera
Almost all accidents occur because one road user did something wrong, and the way to keep out of accidents is to drive for yourself and defensively against those around you. This includes tailgaters, pedestrians, cyclists, animals, and other drivers. It doesn’t help when your own car does something unplanned.
Actually a majority of serious accidents occur when (a) someone does something wrong and (b) other drivers in the vicinity are unable to adjust for (a) in time. Your arguments about PB boils down to TACC being more (a) than (b), that is, a net contributor to accidents (a) rather than a net avoider of accidents (b). I don't see how you could know such a thing with any certainty.