Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I do not recommend using PCA Auto Tint in Tampa, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Steve,

Thanks for your observations. I'm still in the process of deciding what to do and your input is very helpful.

In the sentence quoted above I assume you meant to say that the service center would not install Crystalline 70 rather than 90. Correct?

Thanks.

Larry

Larry, my car came back yesterday. Looks great! We can meet up for a coffee if you want to see it.

PCA charged me $250 for the windshield. Telsa SC would not do anything dark enough on the side and back, so I went to PCA.

3M rejected any claim, saying it must be - get this - a defective windshield. PCA then told me to jump in a lake after that. VISA is currently helping me recoup my money. So my takeaway is that I would never trust my $100k car to a service provider doing a $600 job who won't back up their work.

In FL anything more than 90 on the front is illegal, I was told. And yes, crystalline is too thick for the front, I was also told.

Sucks, but removing the film ain't so easy either, I was told they (my next tint shop) need a sunny day to heat up the windshield before it can come off. And I guess they will use a Madico product tint.

Hi,
Sorry to hear of your fiasco.
I won the award for the best tinter in Fla, Ga, LA & Alabama.
Now, I am a doctor in Chicago and just tinted my S that came out flawlessly...20 years later.
I would highly recommend Tropical Window Tinting in Gaineslville.
John Voss was the best employee ever and now has his own tint shop.
We serviced the Porsche BMW Mercedes dealership and I would bet he could help figure out a solution to your situation.
Best of luck,
Ivan

PCA charged me $250 for the windshield. Telsa SC would not do anything dark enough on the side and back, so I went to PCA.

<snip>

In FL anything more than 90 on the front is illegal, I was told. And yes, crystalline is too thick for the front, I was also told.

Tampa Service charged me $400 for 3M Crystalline 90% and it looks fantastic. Both my wife and can really feel the heat difference and I'm figuring we'll save that money back in better economy and besides that it's much more comfortable. When I asked Mark what would happen if it didn't work out his reply was (paraphrasing) "Don't worry, it'll come out fine but we'll take care of you as we always do". There is some security/comfort value in getting it done through Tesla and I like it so much they are doing my Roadster later this week.

Marty, if you want to see it just let me know.

Tampa Service charged me $400 for 3M Crystalline 90% and it looks fantastic. Both my wife and can really feel the heat difference and I'm figuring we'll save that money back in better economy and besides that it's much more comfortable. When I asked Mark what would happen if it didn't work out his reply was (paraphrasing) "Don't worry, it'll come out fine but we'll take care of you as we always do". There is some security/comfort value in getting it done through Tesla and I like it so much they are doing my Roadster later this week.

Marty, if you want to see it just let me know.

I checked out Nigel's windshield yesterday. It was a very nice installation without any obvious flaws. I'll probably have it done when I do my annual maintenance.

Larry

I'm certainly up for a meet, greet, and inspection. Might be tough with t-Day and me headed to Miami next weekend for my first long distance trip.

Anyhow, Driving Expressions removed my bad tint, and installed new tint, which I'm happy with. They were great people, down on 41 across from the Honda dealer. If I had to do it all again I would let Tesla do the 90 on the windshield but I still needed darker on the rest.