TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

I don't get it

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by lloyds, Jan 3, 2015.

1. lloyds

lloyds Member

This is so annoying. There were 4 charging spaces blocked by people who can't read.

Attached Files:

2. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

This is a perfect opportunity to put the copy of a previous post on their windshield, I carry a few of them and if I see something like this I will educate those people.

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The problem is the signage. It just doesn't look official. If it's not official looking most people will ignore it. Even if it's official looking there will still be a few jerks, but having a non-official looking sign is just asking for it.

4. lloyds

lloyds Member

I think if the signage states a potential of fine or the car being "towed at owner's expense", then people will not park there. I'm seeing this happen more often and with more Teslas on the road, the stations are already overcrowding in some places. Non-Teslas taking up these spaces make it a lot worse.

5. tezzla

tezzla Member

#5 tezzla, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
    From Cabazon this afternoon, segregated by color!

Cabazon.jpg

I was reading a book while charging, it was funny watching everyone drive by, slow down/stop and stare like these were spaceships or something.

6. GreenT

GreenT Member

What am I missing? The photo does not fit your text? Where is there evidence of ICE'ng?
    Do you work for a newspaper? I thought only "reporters" started threads with ambiguous headings like "I don't get it" while not giving anyone a hint as to its content.

7. youlikeadajuice

I don't know that I've ever seen a supercharger ICE'd when they are mounted in this "pull straight in" configuration. I realize that "back in" configuration is often more practical, especially for snow removal, but the "front in" style seems to do a far better job at preventing ICE'ing.

"What am I missing? The photo does not fit your text? Where is there evidence of ICE'ng?
    Do you work for a newspaper? I thought only "reporters" started threads with ambiguous headings like "I don't get it" while not giving anyone a hint as to its content." -GreenT

The first car in the picture is an ICE...doesn't seem ambiguous to me.

8. robby

robby Member

There should be a number you can call to have cars towed in these situations.

9. Bluespark

Bluespark Member

roby, that would work, if local laws allow such. At least here in CT, the signs don't say "Your car will be towed". So you can't legally haul away someone's car. All you can do is call Tesla and they in turn call the property owners.

10. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

I used the Huntsville SC three times this weekend, not one ICE was seen taking a space. I've been there on full-parking-lot college football weekends and no ICEing then either.
    They do have the extra sign:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420341124.436291.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420341135.986149.jpg

11. TTT

TTT Member

Did you call Tesla?

From http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

A non-Tesla car is parked in a dedicated Supercharger stall, what should I do?

Many Supercharger sites are outfitted with ‘dedicated’ stalls (meant only for Tesla vehicles) and a few ‘enabled’ stalls (which allow for time-restricted general parking). Please be aware of stall signage. If a non-Tesla vehicle is blocking a ‘dedicated’ Supercharger stall, please notify Tesla at (877) 798-3752 (international phone numbers).

12. markb1

markb1 Active Member

But what has Tesla ever done when contacted about ICEing? It's out of their control. The best they can do is ask the property owner to do something, and I doubt that will make much difference.

13. Jeddi

Jeddi Member

lloyds where did you take this picture?

14. jerry33

They can't do anything about it in the short term other than call the property owner. Long term they can identify the locations that have problems, change signage (this has been done), add new stalls (They've done this), or add a new nearby location (no evidence they've done this other than for volume).

15. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Why does Tesla not have this sign on all supercharger locations, this is the first sign I have seen like this on any of the supercharger locations I have visited in California.

16. BerTX

BerTX Member

That sign is in Huntsville, Texas. You mean Texas did something right? Nah, couldn't be...

17. purplewalt

purplewalt Active Member

I believe this is Culver City.
    IIRC it was really ICE'd before Christmas by shoppers.
    Combination of bad timing and location to Open a Supercharger adjacent to a Shopping Center (Just before Christmas).

Posting more directly worded signage (with the word "Towing") will minimize this from re-occurring.

18. jerry33

Because Tesla makes individual agreements with the property owners. I suspect many are reluctant to annoy their non-Tesla customers and believe that the Tesla SCs won't be used very often.

Huntsville didn't have the tow signs when it first opened and they were 100% ICEd frequently.

19. Bluespark

Bluespark Member

Actually now that I think about it, I think the property owners are the ones who can put those signs up, if they choose too. I don't believe local laws have anything to do with it. Technically it is "private" property. If you are not on the property to buy something, then the property owners can have your car removed. So, I think it is up to the property owners whether they place these "your car will be towed" signs. So it comes down to the agreement Tesla has with the property owners.

20. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

I think that if ICIing becomes a problem at any particular supercharger and Tesla is aware of it they should put up those signs. So important for us to call the hot line and report these incidents.