TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

I don't know who you are, but I owe you dinner...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Panoz, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Panoz

Panoz Member

I've scoured the TMC website and the Tesla forums trying to find the original post, but I can't. All I know is that I'm grateful.

Someone responding to a post about a damaged bumper (it was ripped off after driving over a curb) posted a rule of thumb: line up the bottom of your side-view mirror with the object you're trying to avoid and you'll never hit it. They said it always works, regardless of vehicle.

I have a very rare car (Panoz) that is known for low skirt in the front just ready to be damaged. I tried the technique and it works!

Whoever your are, you saved me any future bumper damage on any car. Dinner on me.
    Facebook-20150827-061054.jpg

2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Always reverse park model S when you see cement parking curbs | Forums | Tesla Motors

3. Panoz

Panoz Member

Hey! Thanks! JordanRichard gets dinner when/if I see him...

4. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and Coral Gables, FL
    jordanrichard deserves reputation points in addition to the dinner. I avoided damage to my Tesla due to his post, although I cannot say the same about several other cars.

5. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

I also watch the reflection of my car in the car next to me to gauge the space I have left in front. Works like a charm... just make sure you park next to well maintained cars!

6. Panoz

Panoz Member

The reflection? Meaning you match up the wheel reflection of their car with yours or something?

7. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

8. Nikxice

Nikxice Member

From a good friend who is also the director of the National Institute of Driver Behavior,
    "For the application with the curbs used for parking tire stoppers, I would recommend that the car be stopped as the view of the curb at ground level begins to reach the passenger side mirror. That should place the vehicle's bumper about a foot away from contacting the cement barrier. It is always best for each driver, in each vehicle, test out this reference point in a parking lot with lines. Get out of the car and see how accurate the relationship is. Then when used with a curb it is extremely important that the curb at ground level is viewed, not the top of the curb, as the top of the curb is not a constant as there are various curb heights, but only one ground level."

I'll just add that he advocates backing up, versus head in parking, wherever possible.

9. JustSam

JustSam Member

agreed! backing up is also easier to get out =) love this post!