Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I don't see why you'd need the quicker model 3.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to say this is a limitation with the motor design but I could be totally wrong. Everything I'm reading says this shouldn't be the case though, so maybe it's just a software thing.

Typically the maximum torque output of an induction or permanent magnet motor is constant all the way down to zero rpm.

I've heard suggestions that Tesla might have some fancy new variation on the permanent magnet motor here, so possibly it's not true for that, but I haven't seen any evidence of that yet.

Looking at the dyno chart drag times gave us: Tesla Model 3 Long Range Dyno Testing, it seems likely they used software to limit torque below about 20 mph for whatever reason, unless there was a problem with the test.

The model 3 torque and max power curves look EXACTLY like the S and X, only with lower values. Fixed torque initially (constant acceleration of power) until a max power is reached then an inverted curve (declining at declining rate) likely due to back EMF. We have three 0-60 samples before Tesla turned off the API. All are identical. The first two are already uploaded into the performance metrics.

upload_2018-6-20_16-23-35.png

Last edited:
The model 3 torque and max power curves look EXACTLY like the S and X, only with lower values. Fixed torque initially (constant acceleration of power) until a max power is reached then an inverted curve (declining at declining rate) likely due to back EMF. We have three 0-60 samples before Tesla turned off the API. All are identical. The first two are already uploaded into the performance metrics.

That would make sense.

The dyno chart on the link I posted doesn't show that, which may or may not be related to how they rolled into the test or issues with the equipment.

It shows a linear increase in torque with rpm until ~20 mph, followed by the usual constant torque and constant power phases.

I don't know if it's an unusual case with that tester, because my quick use of Google wasn't turning up any other proper dyno charts for the 3.

Okay, I take back my initial post. After owning the car for two weeks I'm already feeling like it's "slow". This morning I stepped on it already going about 40 and thought it was in chill mode (it wasn't) because it wasn't going as fast as I wanted. Time to start saving for the performance model. :)

Welcome to the new normal. :)

It was really strange driving through Montana when it didn't have a fixed daytime speed limit. Started out doing 70 and slowing to 60 on curves, later was slowing to 75 for curves (back in 95 or 96, so not a Tesla).

It's a combination of instant acceleration, torque, and inexperienced driver.

Whatever insurance company balks at customers that have instant acceleration and torque is going to quickly commit suicide in the insurance industry because in the near future....that's the only thing that will exist.

5000 - 6000 new EV's per week is just quiet enough so that it won't get the attention of oil industries.....however its quick enough to be considered as accelerating the planet into sustainable energy through transport.

I enjoy the 3’s quickness, but the ”jolts” are no favorite of my wife and our dog. So, after quite some time I begrudgingly tried the chill mode. There is an amazing smoothness to it that I actually enjoy. But not when I’m alone in the car.

Reactions: Sg911
Coming from a highly modified 800hp BMW... As fun and quick as the Model 3 is, I definitely want a little more.

Once some reviewers get their hands on a performance model, I will likely reserve and trade up unless it's somehow a spectacular failure (doubt it). AWD and brake upgrades will make me feel a lot better about taking it to the track.

I had a 2017 Dodge Daytona 392 500hp, it was fun ...in the first few months, then I went to a hellcat 707hp then I got tired of putting tire to rubber but not the ground... lol but I’ll miss that supercharger whine ....so here I AM. AWD FULL Electric 3P... lets do this..

Reactions: shrspeedblade
From like 35 it's like a roller coaster but I wish it was a wee bit quicker off the line...even though it is pretty quick. Just doesn't have that same push you back in your seat until around 30 or 35mph.
This curve shape is exactly how my first test drive of Model 3 felt. It instantly reminded me of the curve shape of Valet mode -- though the amplitude of the Valet mode is much lamer.

While it's certainly true that almost any car can be driven too fast for conditions, it seems to happen to cars with quick acceleration more often.
That sounds like a relatively obvious conclusion of some not so complicated math. Unless I'm misunderstanding.

And the logical conclusion then is that all cars should have the acceleration of a horse because nobody ever destroyed a skyscraper by riding a horse into it because of too much acceleration.

That sounds like a relatively obvious conclusion of some not so complicated math. Unless I'm misunderstanding.

And the logical conclusion then is that all cars should have the acceleration of a horse because nobody ever destroyed a skyscraper by riding a horse into it because of too much acceleration.

The acceleration of a horse, or the top speed of a horse? :p

The point at hand is that the two are different and too fast for conditions pertains to the second and not the first, although there does seem to be a correlation - probably because folks who drive aggressively tend to choose quicker cars.

I love the fact that for the first time ever I have absolutely no thought about the fuel I'm using when accelerating hard. Oh no I might only average 3 miles/kWh! It truly is having your cake and eating it too.

I'd better keep up with my tire rotations, though. I almost wish the go pedal was a little bit more linear. :eek: