Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I don't see why you'd need the quicker model 3.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ummm... duh. Driving fast is really, really, really, really, really fun. Sometimes foolish and irresponsible? Yes. But fun? Absolutely! The acceleration is already great. More would be even better.

Does anyone "need" it? Of course not. If you're talking "needs", then super cheap basic transportation with a 0-60 of 20 seconds or more would do it. But no kid has a poster of a car like that on his wall. It surprises me that you would wonder why people would "want" it, even if you don't.

Funny, I used this comment the other day when someone asked me how fast it was ... I said it's no Model S, but there certainly is no justifiable way to say it needs to be faster. Many might want it faster, but it is purely want. This car is really fast and even though I'm guilty of occasionally wanting a little more, I can't say it is anything other than unnecessary extravagance due to speed addiction ...

Fast doesn't do diddly when you've got two lines of cars ahead of you at the light. Even if you're first at the light, the next light will be red when you get there. When the three cars ahead of you take a half mile to get to 50 mph (in a 60 zone), you're not going anywhere. That's how I see it. Maybe you live where there's no traffic. I find that once in a while I can pass at the dotted line if there isn't traffic coming at me, but more often than not, I get to follow the fertilizer truck behind the '82 Honda Civic doing ten mph under the posted signage. I've never found my 3 underpowered, even though it's not a P or a D. Until it can levitate and go overhead, we're all stuck.

Fast doesn't do diddly when you've got two lines of cars ahead of you at the light. Even if you're first at the light, the next light will be red when you get there. When the three cars ahead of you take a half mile to get to 50 mph (in a 60 zone), you're not going anywhere. That's how I see it. Maybe you live where there's no traffic. I find that once in a while I can pass at the dotted line if there isn't traffic coming at me, but more often than not, I get to follow the fertilizer truck behind the '82 Honda Civic doing ten mph under the posted signage. I've never found my 3 underpowered, even though it's not a P or a D. Until it can levitate and go overhead, we're all stuck.
Why are you under the impression that people like to go fast in order to get to their destination faster?

Roller coasters don't go anywhere!

After getting my model 3 I was giddy from the acceleration as I've never really had a fast car. I thought to myself this is plenty...no need for anymore power. But then a day later I was like you know what I could go for a little more! The acceleration is addicting! From like 35 it's like a roller coaster but I wish it was a wee bit quicker off the line...even though it is pretty quick. Just doesn't have that same push you back in your seat until around 30 or 35mph. I think they kinda had to choose where they wanted to have the most power. It makes more sense I guess to have it around 30 or 40 for merging and passing. Plus if it had the same power at 0 you'd be spinning the tires unless AWD I bet. So I'm happy with it and in a few years will probably trade up to the AWD to get a bit more power and more grip off the line.

• Love
Reactions: davidc18

Take the roads less traveled by, literally.

I agree that the acceleration from 30-50 is awesome. More impressive than the off the line speed. I think this is mainly because most ICE cars just don't have this kind of acceleration from speed.
The funny thing is that I'm actually more impressed with the smoothness of the powertrain. I never realized just how much vibration in an ICE is from the engine (even though everybody writes about it when comparing EV's)

In a way the car makes me want to drive slower and concentrate on being as smooth as possible.

I find myself often on two lane country roads behind someone doing 20 mph below the speed limit and a gravel truck coming at me in the opposite direction. The quicker I can get around the slow guy and get back in my lane, the better! Every second counts.

Reactions: McRat
Who likes slow cars? It's a tesla not a Leaf. I believe Tesla's are purchased for bragging rights. To pump out your chest and be able to smack talk other EVs. The opportunity to just plug into one of those sexy red and white machines..... makes you feel a class above the rest. Sure we don't need the extra charge.. but hey why not. We paid extra to be part of the club. .... please show me one individual that has never plugged in just to chill with the club for a few minutes. Lots of eye candy at the superchargers.....

Passing distance is a safety feature. HP that exceeds the limits of traction on dry pavement is for Experienced and Trained drivers for their personal entertainment, be it a quick blast up a freeway ramp, or closed course events.
We have all seen what happens when you run out of skill before the car runs out of HP. That should be avoided.

• Love
Reactions: DR61 and jbcarioca