Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I don't think Tesla will take Ghosting seriously

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aren't there SOME here on the list (that are either shorter or taller) - that when they look for the condition they can't notice any ghosting at all, no matter where they try & find it - no matter what kind of night time lighting conditions? iirc, the answer is/was 'yes' . . . and presuming so, doesn't that mean that quality glass CAN be achieved, and that Tesla is simply unwilling to admit they're unwilling to force their manufacturer to scrap out that percentage of lower quality windshield glass?

When you see the ghosting, move your head up and down to see where the ghosting disappears. I've seen it where the ghosting is really strong, but as I move my postiion around, i can watch the ghosting move back into the original.
I've tried this and I can get it to go away when I'm looking through the steering wheel and through the lowest part of the windshield. There is no physical way for me to comfortably or safely operate the vehicle while doing this without a) lying down in the seat or b) having about 5 or 6 inches of my spine surgically removed. o_O;)

I've tried this and I can get it to go away when I'm looking through the steering wheel and through the lowest part of the windshield. There is no physical way for me to comfortably or safely operate the vehicle while doing this without a) lying down in the seat or b) having about 5 or 6 inches of my spine surgically removed. o_O;)
Lol

Well that's what autopilot is for.

The ghosting issue can by solved by polarized lenses. You can buy a custom-made polarized lens with very light grey tinting that allows you to see very well at night. There is absolutely no ghosting or double images any more with this trick.
If you go to this web site KBco | LENS GALLERY you will see all the polarized lens options available. It looks like the lightest would be the gray #1.

Reactions: madodel
Received my X back today and got the standard wording, but with an encouraging lead-in:

Service Center said:
Test drove vehicle in low light conditions and verified customer concern. Found vehicle to have large amounts of ghosting when other vehicles headlights or stoplights shine through the front windshield. Reflections (ghosting) occur in all laminated glass to varying degrees and affect some more than others. A small handful of customers have experienced this phenomenon. We are investigating the root cause, and you will be given priority once a solution is available.

In which case replacing the windshield is unlikely to make any difference. Although I sit very high, I see an equal amount of ghosting if I sit low.

Exactly my concern. There are ways to reduce the partial internal reflections in the glass using coatings which help transition between the air and glass indicies of refraction, but I don't know how durable they would be on the outside or inside of the windshield. The AR coatings I have seen on flat glass or lenses do not like being touched.

I don't think there is an easy fix, but hopefully Tesla is motivated enough to address the problem. It is sad to have such an enjoyable car to drive that you can't see clearly out of. I'm still surprised that this issue wasn't addressed in the design phase of the car.

I'll be honest -- it bothers me a lot.
People in the passenger seat don't seem to notice it, but from where I sit, it is very annoying.
I also realized that it happens all the time -- not just during the night.
It is MOST noticeable at night with tail lights and headlights, but the truth is that any high contrast image will cause ghosting. This will be true during the day, too, but not as severe.

When I have to drive our other car and compare the view out the windshield to the X, I notice that the image through the front windshield in my X is just blurry, and this is how ghosting will manifest during the day. Not a true double image, but enough haziness to make everything blurry. (and no, washing the windshield doesn't fix anything).

• Informative
Reactions: KZKZ
I'm 6'2" and reading about ghosting complaints, but cannot see it in mine in 5 months of regular use. Day, nite, with oncoming or rear lights, just don't see it. My close-up vision requires mild 1.5x reading glasses, but far vision is fine so no glasses while driving.

I probably just didn't get unlucky,

hi Guys, my X has very bad ghosting. It bothers me alot , now I kinda learned to live with it but I still hate it and think its a terrible BUT.. Interesting enough my brother that is a bit shorter than me (I'm 6'1 and he is 5'9) has no issue with it. He's been driving my car since i'm out of town. He is super picky with everything optics , glass, sunglasses etc.. but he has no issue with my windshield. So I reached the conclusion that Tesla may not do anything about this. I now believe that very few people are complaining about this like I was told at my service center and the people that have this issue , well we may not be taken to seriously after all :(

I feel your pain. Ghosting is severe in my car and tesla won't do anything about it. I honestly think it makes driving at night unsafe- basically like drunk driving.

I'm 6'2" and reading about ghosting complaints, but cannot see it in mine in 5 months of regular use. Day, nite, with oncoming or rear lights, just don't see it. My close-up vision requires mild 1.5x reading glasses, but far vision is fine so no glasses while driving.

I probably just didn't get unlucky,

If you ever come to San Francisco with your MX I would love to sit in your car for a minute to compare the ghosting issue with mine, and have you do the same. To date, I haven't heard of anyone who sees the ghosting issue in one car not see it others as well.

[QUOTE="Colby Boles, post: 1738739, member: 41950" To date, I haven't heard of anyone who sees the ghosting issue in one car not see it others as well.[/QUOTE]
If someone does this I will go have a talk with Tesla about my window but until then I fear that I might just end up fighting to get the same glass again.

[QUOTE="Colby Boles, post: 1738739, member: 41950" To date, I haven't heard of anyone who sees the ghosting issue in one car not see it others as well.
If someone does this I will go have a talk with Tesla about my window but until then I fear that I might just end up fighting to get the same glass again.[/QUOTE]
Where in Jersey are you? I am in the Poconos and do not see any ghosting, even at night in the 7 months I have had my X. I do wear glasses to drive and I also have had an issue my entire life where I am far sighted in my right eye and near sighted in my left eye, so my brain has been conditioned to focus primarily with one eye at a time. Not sure if that problem makes it difficult for me to see this. Certainly has always made it near impossible for me to backup since I can't gauge distance without seeing blacktop. Greatest thing for me was the backup camera. ;-)

[QUOTE="Colby Boles, post: 1738739, member: 41950" To date, I haven't heard of anyone who sees the ghosting issue in one car not see it others as well.
If someone does this I will go have a talk with Tesla about my window but until then I fear that I might just end up fighting to get the same glass again.[/QUOTE]
Same here. I would love to drive one that someone doesn't have a problem with. I see it in all four I've driven. I'd like to know if it's me or the glass.

I just picked up VIN 145xx. Horrible ghosting unfortunately. Oncoming cars DRL are seen above their car and from the lights themselves even in daylight. It is very strange. I have mentioned it to SC, I think if enough owners complain we will eventually get a solution.