Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I don't think Tesla will take Ghosting seriously

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your reply makes the wait even harder.... :)

i know the feeling and to add to your wait anxiety :) ! I'm coming from a Cayenne S built like a tank , I mean its a Porsche (first Porsche or nice car I ever had).. and to be honest, I was very skeptical. I knew I would like the electric drive because I test drove the S and X and that is an instant winner. But I was a bit skeptical of the fit and finish feel overall, just general ownership of the thing, I read pages and pages of forum complaints and was starting to doubt the purchase to be honest. I never spent that much money in a car.. but then you take the X home and starts a love relationship with a machine. Holy cow man. I don't know what the hell it is, (I think its got to do with the details) I mean the car freaking opens the door for me when I approach it. The Falcon wing doors have more personality than many people I know. It's a car that has no comparison. I check the freaking app 5 times a day when i'm not around the car just to check that he is ok. I don't know but its super weird, and yeah the fit and finish is phenomenal. The other day I had a Ferrari owner friend that sat in the car and was ready to dump his Ferrari and complimented the fit and finish. I will admit the X has a bit of a little rattle here and there that maybe the Porsche didn't have so early on, but man.. it's insignificant and If i ever have to go to the service center and get a p90d for a few days. NO PROBLEM ! :)

i know the feeling and to add to your wait anxiety :) ! I'm coming from a Cayenne S built like a tank , I mean its a Porsche (first Porsche or nice car I ever had).. and to be honest, I was very skeptical. I knew I would like the electric drive because I test drove the S and X and that is an instant winner. But I was a bit skeptical of the fit and finish feel overall, just general ownership of the thing, I read pages and pages of forum complaints and was starting to doubt the purchase to be honest. I never spent that much money in a car.. but then you take the X home and starts a love relationship with a machine. Holy cow man. I don't know what the hell it is, (I think its got to do with the details) I mean the car freaking opens the door for me when I approach it. The Falcon wing doors have more personality than many people I know. It's a car that has no comparison. I check the freaking app 5 times a day when i'm not around the car just to check that he is ok. I don't know but its super weird, and yeah the fit and finish is phenomenal. The other day I had a Ferrari owner friend that sat in the car and was ready to dump his Ferrari and complimented the fit and finish. I will admit the X has a bit of a little rattle here and there that maybe the Porsche didn't have so early on, but man.. it's insignificant and If i ever have to go to the service center and get a p90d for a few days. NO PROBLEM ! :)
Thanks for your extra anxiety :) Your post reassures me and also makes the wait a tad harder. I am coming from a toyota Yaris 2008 so my expectations are pretty low and I am used to a pretty low end car. I am sure I will really appreciate the model X. The test drive blew me away and i just really wanted one. If it wouldn't be for the X i'd still be driving my Yaris till it falls appart.

Reactions: electricity
Has anybody had ghosting fixed by a windshield replacement? The problem might be the curvature of the glass and their isn't much that can be done about it. That would explain why it seems that tall people see it more.
If some tall folks have NO issues, even trying to find ghosting in the most optimum night-time conditions - yet still have flawless windshield clarity - while other folks do have ghosting - it would not be presumptuous to to imagine the issue CAN be resolved.

If some tall folks have NO issues, even trying to find ghosting in the most optimum night-time conditions - yet still have flawless windshield clarity - while other folks do have ghosting - it would not be presumptuous to to imagine the issue CAN be resolved.

That does seem like a reasonable piece of logic but until we have either heard of someone that has seem two Xs, one with and one without ghosting, we can't rule out that some people just can't see it for some reason.

I am 6'1 and no ghosting. August Delivery.
So am I and my June delivery has it pretty bad.

For reference I have my seat all the way down.

I don't have a clue as to why some folks see it and others don't. My eyesight isn't great but it's not bad for a 40 something that stares at computer screens way too much. It might be a slight astigmatism but it's not bad enough that I have to wear glasses (like ever, though I'm supposed to).

Last edited:
Here is how to fix the ghosting, sit lower in your seat and/or further back. I finally saw the ghosting the other day, i moved my seat forward and was a bit higher ( passenger behind me)... i realized normally i dont see it in my normal postion.

Try moving your seat a bit further back, and lower it.

To test the ghosting, move your head up and down and you will see where the sweet spot is to avoid ghosting. It's a flaw in the curvurture at a certain angle. change the angle, to fix it.

BTW, i'm 6"3.

Here is how to fix the ghosting, sit lower in your seat and/or further back. I finally saw the ghosting the other day, i moved my seat forward and was a bit higher ( passenger behind me)... i realized normally i dont see it in my normal postion.

Try moving your seat a bit further back, and lower it.

To test the ghosting, move your head up and down and you will see where the sweet spot is to avoid ghosting. It's a flaw in the curvurture at a certain angle. change the angle, to fix it.

BTW, i'm 6"3.
Not possible.

As I stated, I've got my seat as low as it will go. To address your idea of moving it back further, no can do. I've got the steering wheel as far out (towards me) as it will go as well and if I tilt my seat back any further I can't reach it without my back coming off the seat and rolling my shoulders forward.

Then again, maybe I've got some TRex genes or something.

So am I and my June delivery has it pretty bad.

For reference I have my seat all the way down.

I don't have a clue as to why some folks see it and others don't. My eyesight isn't great but it's not bad for a 40 something that stares at computer screens way too much. It might be a slight astigmatism but it's not bad enough that I have to wear glasses (like ever, though I'm supposed to).
I have a March 1 delivery and my ghosting is pretty bad. I've complained and it is documented. The service center has so far even refused to drive it at night to verify 1 or more techs see the same thing as I do. I've had multiple passengers see/confirm it. I may need to figure out how to escalate it.

Not possible.

As I stated, I've got my seat as low as it will go. To address your idea of moving it back further, no can do. I've got the steering wheel as far out (towards me) as it will go as well and if I tilt my seat back any further I can't reach it without my back coming off the seat and rolling my shoulders forward.

Then again, maybe I've got some TRex genes or something.

When you see the ghosting, move your head up and down to see where the ghosting disappears. I've seen it where the ghosting is really strong, but as I move my postiion around, i can watch the ghosting move back into the original.

That does seem like a reasonable piece of logic but until we have either heard of someone that has seem two Xs, one with and one without ghosting, we can't rule out that some people just can't see it for some reason.

This. The ghost images are a fundamental effect you get when light passes through parallel-surfaced materials of a differing index of refraction at an angle to their surface normal. The bigger the angle from the normal, the bigger the effect of the apparent shift, spatially. The thicker the material, the greater the shift as well. The low initial angle of the glass that gets even lower as it curves over your head creates larger, and hence more noticeable ghosting shifts than you see in other cars, particularly if you sit high up in the vehicle and look downward.

Ghosting is everywhere. Even in the mirrors you have in your house, assuming you are looking at anything other than your own eyes and they are not first-surface mirrors stolen from an optics lab.

Here in AZ we get windshield cracks at a rate of 1 - 3 per year. We're kinda hoping it doesn't happen lest we get more ghosts compared to the mild 'we-can-live-with-it' glass we have now. We considered naming our white MX Casper, but our friends have a white Honda Odyssey named The White Whale so we decided to go with The Pequod as we often follow them to restaurants. Maybe we should have gone with The Flying Dutchman ala Spongebob's ghost ship.

This. The ghost images are a fundamental effect you get when light passes through parallel-surfaced materials of a differing index of refraction at an angle to their surface normal. The bigger the angle from the normal, the bigger the effect of the apparent shift, spatially. The thicker the material, the greater the shift as well. The low initial angle of the glass that gets even lower as it curves over your head creates larger, and hence more noticeable ghosting shifts than you see in other cars, particularly if you sit high up in the vehicle and look downward.

Ghosting is everywhere. Even in the mirrors you have in your house, assuming you are looking at anything other than your own eyes and they are not first-surface mirrors stolen from an optics lab.

In which case replacing the windshield is unlikely to make any difference. Although I sit very high, I see an equal amount of ghosting if I sit low.