Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I don't want "hate mail" but I have some issues with the Model 3:

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. You (or anyone who will close the frunk) have to push on it only in the designated areas, in order to prevent damage to the lid. (according to the prodigious manual)
2. The heated seats have just 3 settings. Seriously? Why can't they provide more granular control??
3. Door release latches can damage the vehicle? I don't understand that one at all..
4. No spare tire? People resort to patch kits and 12v inflation pumps? WOW.

The more I read about Teslas and the 3 specifically, I have to wonder just what is so great, OVERALL, about these vehicles. They seem very hit and miss when it comes to engineering. I UNDERSTAND they are FAST, and they are QUIET, but I don't want to have to baby a car. Things should be durable and most of all, self-evident.

I did get quite a laugh at the video of a woman trying to fill a Tesla with gasoline. That was hilarious!! :)

1: Valid.

2: In my experience, the Germans are the only ones who give more granularity.

3: It's not that hard to understand and it's totally consistent with other vehicles with frameless windows and electric door releases. Notably, the Corvette and the Cadillac XLR.

4: Consistent with other cars in the segment. Increases margin, lowers weight, increases fuel economy. Not to mention most people are stupid and don't maintain the spare, so when they finally drive on it, it's underinflated.

1. I think that is conservative - but for the anal owners among us - probably good advice to follow
2. My RangeRover only had 2 ...
3. Damage because the glass does not drop away from the frame if you use the manual "emergency" release - but if you use the normal release (which will only take you or your passenger 1 day to get used to - no issue)
4. When was the last time you got a flat and needed to use the spare ? Roadside assistance will come with a wheel swap for you if you do get a flat. (the anal amongst us carry a patch kit, can of slime, compressor - mostly for longer trips). Saves weight (Range), trunk space. and cost.

Once you have driven it for a week - you will understand ...

At least for number 4, I can confirm my 2012 Kia Optima didn’t come with a spare either. I believe it’s the way things are trending for all car companies. Well, perhaps not the U.S. companies who are instead just getting rid of sedans all together!
Yes, it blows my mind that sedans are going the way of the dodo. I've got a sedan, a van, and a truck. I much prefer how the sedan (Camry Hybrid) handles. (I'm not crazy about the ride--but handling is fine, in my book). I test drove a Highlander in 2018 but didn't care for the way it handled. Cushy ride but wallowed. Maybe its the Costco runs and cushy ride that have people flocking to SUV's?

• Funny
Reactions: Dre78 and TQCLove
1. You (or anyone who will close the frunk) have to push on it only in the designated areas, in order to prevent damage to the lid. (according to the prodigious manual)
2. The heated seats have just 3 settings. Seriously? Why can't they provide more granular control??
3. Door release latches can damage the vehicle? I don't understand that one at all..

The more I read about Teslas and the 3 specifically, I have to wonder just what is so great, OVERALL, about these vehicles. They seem very hit and miss when it comes to engineering. I UNDERSTAND they are FAST, and they are QUIET, but I don't want to have to baby a car. Things should be durable and most of all, self-evident.

I did get quite a laugh at the video of a woman trying to fill a Tesla with gasoline. That was hilarious!! :)
1. How did you close the frunk in your other car?
2. How many settings do you want?
3. You're using the emergency door release. Doing so could damage the trim since the window isn't rolling down to clear the trim. There's a button that's designed for regular use.
4. I resort to calling roadside service if I get a flat. I've been driving for over 12 years and have had 2 total flats in my entire life. It's not really a big deal.

Your question about what makes the Model 3 so great can be applied to any car. Why is a BMW, Mercedes or any other car so great?

I agree with #1 - I try to avoid storing stuff in the frunk, to avoid opening and closing it.
2. Every other car I have seen which has heated seats also has 3 settings. This seems to be universal. Never seen anyone complain about this. I guess automakers assume, rightfully so, that the bum is not as sensitive to temperature as the face and torso.
3. The latches are for emergency when the power door open button is inoperable. Just use the button and you'll be fine.
4. To give you more range, those things weigh a friggin ton. Many other cars are getting rid of the spare. IMO, the repair kit is much better than expensive runflats (which also have horrible ride quality)

Autopilot, and being a fun car overall. If I wanted to own a reliable car that I hate every moment of driving, I'd have bought a Toyota.
Gee, we have had 3 Toyotas since 1999 and almost zero trouble with them. Have 2 now and the Camry Hybrid is fun to drive, although lacking the high tech stuff of the last couple of years. Can't say I've ever hated driving either our Sienna or the Camry. Now if it wasn't a Hybrid, that's another story. Unless u get the 6 cylinder, you get no power. The Hybrid has decent acceleration compared to the non-hybrid Camry, and of course all of the Prius models--I can't stand driving any of them.

Gee, we have had 3 Toyotas since 1999 and almost zero trouble with them. Have 2 now and the Camry Hybrid is fun to drive, although lacking the high tech stuff of the last couple of years. Can't say I've ever hated driving either our Sienna or the Camry. Now if it wasn't a Hybrid, that's another story. Unless u get the 6 cylinder, you get no power. The Hybrid has decent acceleration compared to the non-hybrid Camry, and of course all of the Prius models--I can't stand driving any of them.

Different strokes for different folks. I want something not just quick, but actually fun. I also want to drive as little as possible during my commute because traffic makes me want to wash my mouth out with buckshot.

Only one question: have you driven one? If you haven't, there's no amount of explaining that will be helpful to you.

Yes, it blows my mind that sedans are going the way of the dodo. I've got a sedan, a van, and a truck. I much prefer how the sedan (Camry Hybrid) handles. (I'm not crazy about the ride--but handling is fine, in my book). I test drove a Highlander in 2018 but didn't care for the way it handled. Cushy ride but wallowed. Maybe its the Costco runs and cushy ride that have people flocking to SUV's?
I have to drive a minivan tomorrow (rental back home from airport). I know how comfy they can be but...minivan! At least it’s only about 3 hours.

Did you get a Model 3 recently? Going to soon? I’ve had mine since February and while I agree with you it’s not perfect, it’s been my favorite car that I’ve owned. I love it! :)

Number 1 is frustrating

Number 2. I am glad that there are only three settings. Having to toggle through four or five settings to turn it off would kill me.

I am surprised about number 4. I would think that we would at least have the horrible run flat tires.

With the exception of number one, your concerns are indicative of a large number of passenger cars and more a sign of the current design of vehicles rather than issues specific to the Model 3 or "engineering" issues. I think you might be missing all of the benefits that the Model 3 and Tesla vehicles in general offer. They really have set the bar for other vehicle manufacturers. However, if the four items that you list are absolute deal breakers for you, then you may need to find a different vehicle or vehicle segment altogether.

Reactions: Dre78
I've driven all of the Toyotas you listed and I can't say any of them are fun to drive. They are not designed to be fun. They are designed to be cheap and reliable. Perfectly fine cars but it makes no sense comparing those to something like a Tesla Model 3.

4: Consistent with other cars in the segment. Increases margin, lowers weight, increases fuel economy. Not to mention most people are stupid and don't maintain the spare, so when they finally drive on it, it's underinflated.

And all these explanations about the spare don't even mention how much fewer people each year don't know HOW-TO charge a tire anyway. Amazing how many people call for help when they have a flat EVEN when they have the spare there.

Reactions: TQCLove