Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I don't want "hate mail" but I have some issues with the Model 3:

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. You (or anyone who will close the frunk) have to push on it only in the designated areas, in order to prevent damage to the lid. (according to the prodigious manual)
2. The heated seats have just 3 settings. Seriously? Why can't they provide more granular control??
3. Door release latches can damage the vehicle? I don't understand that one at all..
4. No spare tire? People resort to patch kits and 12v inflation pumps? WOW.

1. Push firm but not with great force.
2. 3 settings works for me and I think most people.
3. Just use the small button to open the door..unless you happen to be in a lake and sinking.
4. We don't need the extra weight.

I don't think you can fit a baby in there.

2019-Jaguar-I-Pace-Froot.jpg

Maybe a baby carrot.

• Funny
Reactions: Dre78
Gee, we have had 3 Toyotas since 1999 and almost zero trouble with them. Have 2 now and the Camry Hybrid is fun to drive, although lacking the high tech stuff of the last couple of years. Can't say I've ever hated driving either our Sienna or the Camry. Now if it wasn't a Hybrid, that's another story. Unless u get the 6 cylinder, you get no power. The Hybrid has decent acceleration compared to the non-hybrid Camry, and of course all of the Prius models--I can't stand driving any of them.

If you find a Camry fun to drive then you're not missing out on much and you should hold on to that car for as long as you can ;) I had a 3 series BMW before this and the only thing from your list that was different on the BMW was the door opening mechanism (although its quirk was that opening a locked door required a double pull that was equally confusing to most people). Also the BMW had no frunk and I'd prefer a frunk you have to close carefully to having no frunk.

1. You (or anyone who will close the frunk) have to push on it only in the designated areas, in order to prevent damage to the lid. (according to the prodigious manual)
I didn't see anyone really address why this is so I'll just mention that the frunk lid is part of the front crumple zone which makes the car safer for you as well as any pedestrians you might hit.

screen-shot-2018-01-24-at-12-22-51-pm.jpg

Ideally you want a front trunk lid to be light as possible to help with efficiency, but also you need it to be able to crumple and absorb an impact hence the honeycomb pattern on the inside.

Tesla-Model-3-hood.jpg

Because of these properties, you have to be careful not to press too hard or slam the hood (frunk lid) or it will happily crease. It's made to withstand forces from the front of the car, not the top.

• Informative
Reactions: Stacks
For those of you who have had someone accidentally pull the emergency latch you know that the window releases just like it does with the electric switch. There is a small delay, but the window does release allowing the door to open normally if you are careful. I could see how one could damage the trim by pulling on the latch and aggressively pushing the door open without allowing time for the windows to release.

• Informative
Reactions: nvx1977 and SMAlset
I didn't see anyone really address why this is so I'll just mention that the frunk lid is part of the front crumple zone which makes the car safer for you as well as any pedestrians you might hit.

screen-shot-2018-01-24-at-12-22-51-pm.jpg

Ideally you want a front trunk lid to be light as possible to help with efficiency, but also you need it to be able to crumple and absorb an impact hence the honeycomb pattern on the inside.

Tesla-Model-3-hood.jpg

Because of these properties, you have to be careful not to press too hard or slam the hood (frunk lid) or it will happily crease. It's made to withstand forces from the front of the car, not the top.

I don’t believe the hood is a critical part of the crumple zone. The honey comb is just a stiffener. Probably what is critical is that hinges don’t let go and the hood buckles on impact so that it doesn’t start to enter the windshield. It probably absorbs some energy, but not much in the big scheme. The real energy absorption is all below the hood.

Also I doubt how energy absorbent the front end is or isn’t would help a pedestrian much. That’s a whole other scale. I thought I’ve heard of some cars with an external airbag though.

I don’t believe the hood is a critical part of the crumple zone. The honey comb is just a stiffener. Probably what is critical is that hinges don’t let go and the hood buckles on impact so that it doesn’t start to enter the windshield. It probably absorbs some energy, but not much in the big scheme. The real energy absorption is all below the hood.

Also I doubt how energy absorbent the front end is or isn’t would help a pedestrian much. That’s a whole other scale. I thought I’ve heard of some cars with an external airbag though.

Critical or not it helps.

At low speed, I hit a person once... it was their fault and they apologized, but after the front bumper hit the legs, they immediately landed on the hood. If the hood has some give then it'll definitely help keep the pedestrians safe vs a hard unforgiving surface.

related:
US9283923B2 - Ladder honeycomb hood structure for a motor vehicle for pedestrian protection - Google Patents

Aside from OP potentially trolling, there are plenty of people for whom the Model 3 is simply NOT the right car in any way, shape, or form.

I have a good friend who recently purchased one (I was a big part of encouraging her) and she's too scared of it to drive it - the touchscreen interface is just too frightening and intimidating compared to the safety of all the knobs and buttons she was used to in her previous German cars. There are plenty of people who simply never transitioned to [naturally] using touchscreen UI. It's one thing when they fumble around with their phones or tablets but putting them in a Model 3, aside from being a subpar experience for them, might be simply too dangerous for the rest of us and they should probably stick to the vehicles they know.