Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I drive a Toyota-but am looking forward to my Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was pretty much all I needed to know about the article...

That single line means you can dismiss the entire article.
Yep, stopped reading as soon as I saw Niedermeyer's name mentioned. Didn't notice the article was written by Schmitt until I had started reading it, unfortunately. He's the guy who welched on eating his hat after losing a wager he had made with Elon.

I'm a Toyota owner too. But that doesn't mean I'm under any illusion that the Model 3 would match the reliability of one, since Tesla is a relatively new company and the Model 3 is a new model.
Same here... we're currently a two Toyota household. I reserved a Model 3 with my eyes wide open. Tesla is still a relatively new and small car company, but I'm willing to take a risk with them because they're the only production car company fully committed to BEVs. If Toyota had simply offered or announced plans for a comparable BEV, I would have considered it. But they didn't and still don't, so they're out of the running for my next car.

There's some merit to the premise of that article. If the most 3 user has do deal with the amazingly long wait times for parts/fixes and exorbitant repair costs that Model S owners have to deal with this could bow up in Tesla's face given not only the differing markets but also the much larger volume

I agree it's a problem... For Toyota not Tesla.

I'm a Toyota hybrid owner and fan for the past 14 years but the direction they are heading, very unlikely I will get another Toyota.

Meanwhile I have been very very impressed with Tesla and their mission. I've got a M3 on order and also a shareholder. Quite certain my wife will be tempted to replace her Toyota with a Model Y so yes. It's a problem alright, not for Tesla.

The problem with self professed 'Tesla Contrarian' viewpoints like those often expressed by Neidermeier (maybe I should call him [ECHO NOVEMBER] from now on?) is that they are never built on a solid foundation of facts.

I remember back in the good ol' days when someone with an opposing viewpoint to mine, George Will for example, could explain his viewpoint in a logical manner. They would have actual facts and figures instead of rhetoric and innuendo to back up their position. You could actually argue the subject at hand istead of some sideline theorem that had no basis in reality. So that even if you were not convinced it was the best path forward, you could at least agree his point of view deserved a fighting chance.

The guys who profess to be 'contary to the hype' or 'immune to the cult' have instead drank deeply at the Fountain of HaterAde. Any explanation is but 'spin' to them. Every accusation is gospel. And their supposed attempts to hold Tesla to a higher standard, to put them to task at every turn, because somehow all that's been managed so far has been 'too easy' and thus 'the bubble is bound to burst'... Any day now. Just watch. The market will correct itself! You'll see. It's all just a passing fad. Then all those Tesla Drones will see just how right they were all along... Yadda, yadda, yadda... Where's the Soup Nazi when you need him?

For some of them their Tesla Death Watch has been going on for well over a decade now. What will it take for them to admit being wrong? Does TSLA really have to split 100:1 to match their preferred valuation per share?

Geez.

There's some merit to the premise of that article. If the most 3 user has do deal with the amazingly long wait times for parts/fixes and exorbitant repair costs that Model S owners have to deal with this could bow up in Tesla's face given not only the differing markets but also the much larger volume

When is the last time Toyota sent a mobile repair technician to fix a car? How often does Toyota offer to trailer your vehicle 100 miles to the service center and deliver a bright shiny loaner to you? Tesla's service has been exemplary for me.

In the article it says, 'Toyota owners are more demanding'. I'm not convinced.

Tesla Motors is located in the NUMMI factory that was operated as a joint venture between GM and Toyota.
Cars produced that were badged Toyota had a higher customer satisfaction than the GM cars sold from the plant did. The cars were built using the same workers and technology. Seems Toyota owners are less demanding than GM owners, at least for the cars produced at NUMMI.

My problem with the "article" is the faulty reasoning. Model 3 reservations that are current Toyota customers are not a random group; they are a relatively small, self-selected sub-group of the the Toyota universe and it makes no sense to presume that the expectations of the Toyota owners at large will mirror the switchers.

I just bought my fourth Toyota hybrid yesterday -- a plug-in this time, to complement our LEAF. It will be a wonderful bridge to my Model 3 and I am pretty aware of the bumps in the road that a Tesla purchase might encounter.

Reactions: dauger and ikjadoon
When is the last time Toyota sent a mobile repair technician to fix a car? How often does Toyota offer to trailer your vehicle 100 miles to the service center and deliver a bright shiny loaner to you? Tesla's service has been exemplary for me.
My parents had only Toyota's for more than 15 years now and to be fair they never need a repair that's why they don't need to send technicians. Also, the nearest service center is always less than 100 miles away.
I have a Toyota and have a Model 3 reservation. If Toyota had a similar priced BEV that wasn't ugly as the Prius I would probably take it, although I would be losing in the technology side.
That said I don't expect to have the same build quality that I have now in a Toyota and I don't expect not needing to visit a repair center ever, as I do expect with a Toyota, but that is a price that to me is worth the technology gap (Electric power train, remote functions, autopilot).

Two Prius family here, and repairs are pretty much a non-issue. I'd care a lot more that Toyota wouldn't send a technician to my house if I needed them. But I don't. Not more than once every five years or so.
Tesla won't match that for a long, long time. But (for now) I'm still looking forward to my Model 3. Warts and all. Unless the warts are too big, or too ugly.
Robin

• Funny
Reactions: Red Sage
My parents had only Toyota's for more than 15 years now and to be fair they never need a repair that's why they don't need to send technicians. Also, the nearest service center is always less than 100 miles away.
I have a Toyota and have a Model 3 reservation. If Toyota had a similar priced BEV that wasn't ugly as the Prius I would probably take it, although I would be losing in the technology side.
That said I don't expect to have the same build quality that I have now in a Toyota and I don't expect not needing to visit a repair center ever, as I do expect with a Toyota, but that is a price that to me is worth the technology gap (Electric power train, remote functions, autopilot).

Owned a Prius for 10 years, it had about the same amount of issues as my Model X has had in the first year. Service at our local Toyota dealership sucked (It has one star on Yelp!), service by Tesla has been amazing! Of course, that is just one person's experience.

It will be interesting to see what happens to Toyota drivers when they get to drive a sub 6 second EV. Will it terrify them? Perhaps Tesla will have to include some air-sickness bags and Depends undergarments with each car so Toyota owners can acclimate themselves. :D

To put it in perspective a first gen Prius would go 0-60mph in 13.0 seconds or 19.0 seconds in a 1/4 mile. To put that in perspective, a horse with a jockey ran a 20 second 1/4 mile. A bicycle has done it in 24 seconds. But a Prius would really clobber a man on foot, who can only muster a 44 second 1/4 mile. So a Toyota is significantly faster than running to work.

Do you really believe they'll be able to do send technicians and flatbed vehicles when they dramatically increase the volume of cars they have on the road with the model 3? Tesla does those things in order to make up for the fact that they don't have as many service centers. Toyota dealerships are typically closer than 100 miles away.

The wait for parts is a real issue. An issue I don't see getting better when they increase volume. At least not immediately. A warning for my 12 V battery came on last week. Called the service center, no answer. Thankfully I'm close, so I just stopped by. They assured me it's just a warning and I could drive for months with no problem. They didn't have any in stock but would order one and call me when it came in, said it should take a few weeks. For a 12 V battery.

If you've had to repair your S, then you know that long waits for parts is a common. I don't think the average model 3 reservation holder realizes this and is fully prepared to take it in stride.

Reactions: ikjadoon and N5329K