Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I drive my Model X (non Performance) more spirited than I ever drove my Performance Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
NH
Why?

I'll tell you why. Because the Model 3 Performance is Missing "Standard" Acceleration mode.

I did NOT like leaving the Performance 3 in Sport mode for daily driving. It was dangerously too fast (just to easy to accidentally abuse, for me or my wife). So I kept it in Chill Mode.

On the Model X, I leave it in Standard Mode which is quite a bit faster than Model 3 in Chill. But not insanely fast.

I notice the Performance Model X has 3 Levels (or was it 4), I forget. Chill, Standard, Sport and Ludicrous

But the Model 3 only has Chill and Sport. It goes from like 0-60 in 3 sec to 7 sec.

Model X does supposedly 0 - 60 in like 4.4s (just right for normal spirited driving, not the freak'n race track).

At this point, I'd prefer an AWD Non Performance 3 (or RWD) rather than a Performance 3 for daily driving. I would have enjoyed it more.

You can blame the driver all you want, but there is good reason Tesla does offer more than 2 levels of performance in there other performance cars. But for some reason they leave it out on the Model 3 Performance.

I'm the opposite. I have a Model X 75D and Model 3 Performance. I think even if I had the X Performance I woudn't drive it as fast as the 3. Just something about being heavier and takes longer to brake that makes it feel more dangerous when flooring it than a lighter more nimble car to me.

Reactions: SilverGS and focher
At this point, I'd prefer an AWD Non Performance 3 (or RWD) rather than a Performance 3 for daily driving. I would have enjoyed it more.

... exactly why I'm in an LR AWD. It's plenty fast for normal driving, has all the excitement I need or want. And, I was able to take the $8k I saved and book a killer, memories-to-remember-forever European cruise for my family.

I personally find the 3 in normal mode perfect for around town. Its easy for me to drive like a grown-up most of the time, but I also love to have insanity just a few degrees of ankle rotation away at all times. So fun!

I wouldn't be opposed to more throttle modes, but if there were I would keep mine in the current setting.

Just my $0.02.

I'm the opposite. I have a Model X 75D and Model 3 Performance. I think even if I had the X Performance I woudn't drive it as fast as the 3. Just something about being heavier and takes longer to brake that makes it feel more dangerous when flooring it than a lighter more nimble car to me.

I understand where your coming from.

But every time I did “floor it” (on the Model 3 Performance in Sport mode) it often ended in “slamming the brakes”, because it was way more than needed.

I also think the bigger car gives you the illusion of going faster than you really are :) Which is fine by me.

Yes, the Model 3 handled great. Partly attributed to the Stiff suspension that got a little tiring at times. And yet another example I often had to go slower in the Model 3 than the X on bumpy secondary roads and speed bumps. I mean seriously slower. Where I’ll just cruise right along in the X.

Last edited:
Reactions: BulldogsRus
I personally find the 3 in normal mode perfect for around town. Its easy for me to drive like a grown-up most of the time, but I also love to have insanity just a few degrees of ankle rotation away at all times. So fun!

I wouldn't be opposed to more throttle modes, but if there were I would keep mine in the current setting.

Just my $0.02.

“normal mode”, I assume you mean Standard, on what (assume you mean RWD or AWD). Because Performance 3 has no “normal” (or standard) mode which is my gripe.

I can believe “standard mode” on AWD or RWD Model 3 would have been perfect. Similar to X (non P) on Standard.

Makes me feel better about my 3 AWD (non-P)
Does seem like would have been fairly simple for them to have a Standard mode in between Sport and Chill on the P model 3 where it behaves the same as the 3 AWD non P ; since the performance acceleration difference is just software anyway.

Reactions: 22522
“normal mode”, I assume you mean Standard, on what (assume you mean RWD or AWD). Because Performance 3 has no “normal” (or standard) mode which is my gripe.

I can believe “standard mode” on AWD or RWD Model 3 would have been perfect. Similar to X (non P) on Standard.

You are correct, I mis-spoke. I have a "Stealth Performance" 3 which has only "Sport" and "Chill" modes, no "Normal" or Standard". Sport is perfect for me.

Why?

I'll tell you why. Because the Model 3 Performance is Missing "Standard" Acceleration mode.

I did NOT like leaving the Performance 3 in Sport mode for daily driving. It was dangerously too fast (just to easy to accidentally abuse, for me or my wife). So I kept it in Chill Mode.

On the Model X, I leave it in Standard Mode which is quite a bit faster than Model 3 in Chill. But not insanely fast.

I notice the Performance Model X has 3 Levels (or was it 4), I forget. Chill, Standard, Sport and Ludicrous

But the Model 3 only has Chill and Sport. It goes from like 0-60 in 3 sec to 7 sec.

Model X does supposedly 0 - 60 in like 4.4s (just right for normal spirited driving, not the freak'n race track).

You can blame the driver all you want, but there is good reason Tesla does offer more than 2 levels of performance in there other performance cars. But for some reason they leave it out on the Model 3 Performance.

It’s called “slow car fast”. It’s the feeling “slow cars” are super fun, because you can push them to the limit easier and still not get into trouble. It’s the Mazda Miata, VW GTI, civic si that may be slow but man they’re great canyon cars. (I am no way directly comparing a 100k X to a Miata) but just the idea that you can’t push a high performance car and not get into serious trouble.
My 2010 GTi was one of the funnest cars I’ve ever had. It’s wasn’t that fast but I could push it 90% and still not get into trouble. I can throw in on a sharp corner on a mountain road and it just pulls through with the front wheels and xds differential pulling the car through. With the model 3 I can only push a little bit and I’m going 85 and not realizing it.

• Love
Reactions: mswlogo
I'm apparently the first, but if you want to swap your P3 for a AWD, I'm first in line! (White on white, 19" wheels, 2019)

I already swapped it for a Raven X Non P.

Like I said, there is nothing wrong with the P3 other than it should have a medium Performance Mode like Tesla offers on the S/X Performance cars.

Why Tesla hasn’t is a head scratcher.

It’s called “slow car fast”. It’s the feeling “slow cars” are super fun, because you can push them to the limit easier and still not get into trouble. It’s the Mazda Miata, VW GTI, civic si that may be slow but man they’re great canyon cars. (I am no way directly comparing a 100k X to a Miata) but just the idea that you can’t push a high performance car and not get into serious trouble.
My 2010 GTi was one of the funnest cars I’ve ever had. It’s wasn’t that fast but I could push it 90% and still not get into trouble. I can throw in on a sharp corner on a mountain road and it just pulls through with the front wheels and xds differential pulling the car through. With the model 3 I can only push a little bit and I’m going 85 and not realizing it.

I would second that, however, I find the P3D to have much more usable performance, than my previous performance car.
Faster to 60, but slower to 100, and much slower over 100. Top speed 35mph down.

AWD with traction/stability/aids vs 2WD without any traction/stability/ABS etc.
4000lb vs 2300lb

So, it's all relative, and depends on which direction you are looking at it from

Last edited:
When I'm behind the wheel it's set to sport mode! When the old lady is riding shotgun, I TRY to remember to place it in chill mode. So that I don't hear "what the hell was that for" or "geeezzz" when I mash the GO pedal to the floor and hit 90 in an instant!

Reactions: c.ross3
...I don't need the car in "Launch Mode" at every stop sign, so I was forced to use Chill.

Honestly not certain whether you're trolling, or what, but :rolleyes:

So, your fine-motor skillz aren't adequate to control the Model 3P's acceleration? Ohhhkayyy, but did you test-drive it before you bought it??

By contrast, I find that the accelerator response is SO perfectly tuned and predictable that I'm smoother driving this car than any I've owned previously.

But, like I mentioned initially, I'm glad that the Model X suits you better and that you're happy.