TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

I dropped it

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by Tezla1, May 10, 2019.

1. Tezla1

Tezla1 Member

1349D4C5-D071-4777-B7F7-3A50DF6E01EC.jpeg F660C15A-3F10-4595-BBC4-FA055B5E16D0.png Here are some pics.

Top:

MODERATE, front and rear (making clunking noise in rear end)

Bottom:
    SP in rear, Moderates in front.

2. hydro 481

hydro 481 Active Member

Post some pics of the new springs

3. Tezla1

Tezla1 Member

The pics got uploaded backwards for some reason.

They are reversed. The TOP is Moderate springs front + rear.

4. Tezla1

Tezla1 Member

Update:

Front springs: (Moderates) they’re making a lot of noise now, it’s terrible! Clunk clang clunk everywhere I go! Not acceptable

Rear springs: (SP) I’ve grown used to the higher height than Moderates and like it - the ride is good, just about stock, handling NOT as good as moderates - probably bc they sit an inch higher than Moderates. But overall, it’s fine and I like the drop height in rear

I have an appointment to take it back to UP.

UP rep said they will attempt to “fix” the front springs lol

but I’m going to tell them I want them replaced, not fixed. I’m tired of the driving back n forth.

Have an appointment next week, will update results here.

So far, it seems unplugged springs are NOT ready for the street - they’re in beta mode and testing things it seems. I guess I’m the test dummy they’re testing on :/

• Informative x 2
  5. Tezla1

Tezla1 Member

I’m at UP shop right now, for the 3rd time.

My front springs became super clunky over the past 30 days - from no noise at all to embarrassing clunks every single time I’m in the car. It’s like they got damaged very quickly after a short period of use.

Anyway - at the shop now - they are going to replace my front springs with SP springs (they don’t have Moderates in stock).

will have an update with pictures here in a few hours

6. xp3nd4bl3

xp3nd4bl3 Member

Glad you're posting this. I've been waiting for them to get the moderates in stock before I bring my car there. Hoping you get it sorted.

7. Tezla1

Tezla1 Member

Update: June 12

UP replaced my front moderate springs with Super Performance springs.

Now, my front end sits 1-2 inches HIGHER than before (with moderates). So, SP springs are higher than Moderate, not the same drop.

So, with this new setup of all 4 SP, the front wheel gap is 1/2 inch HIGHER than my rear wheel gap, which also has SP.

Front gap = 3 fingers
    Rear gap = 2 fingers

I’m at a loss at how there can be such large differences in height from the same type of spring (SP)

The way it looks now, the Front sits higher than the rear ‍♂️

At first glance, I did not like the look of this irregular stance - it just looks off.

But, having little choice, I left UP with the understanding that they will allow me to replace ALL 4 springs again, if I’m still not happy with the look / noise.

As far as noise with new SP springs:

I will post an update on spring noise after I’ve had them on for a few days

8. Tezla1

Tezla1 Member

C5897B80-9E81-4FFE-949B-8CD498C1BBCD.jpeg

Here is the new picture with new SP springs all around.

The gaps seem fairly close here, maybe the ground at UP wasn’t perfectly level?

9. Lithiumilo

Lithiumilo Member

looks good! that clunking is a concern. hopefully UP will find a solution

10. Tezla1

Tezla1 Member

Yup! Clunking noise was only issue.

Handling and looks are both good.

11. xp3nd4bl3

xp3nd4bl3 Member

No springs should have a reverse rake. That's not right.

How come nobody else has reported this kind of stuff with UP. Have I just missed it?

12. Mrcarcrazy

Mrcarcrazy Many Leather bound books.

I for one appreciate the honesty and updates.

The look of the SP (based on the above pic) looks to be a more appropriate height for my taste (looks like it could be stock). I don’t like the slammed look of the moderates (I realize I’m in the minority)

I find it super odd you’re having all sorts of bangs and clanks. I’m guessing the spring is moving in the seats. As the spring itself doesn’t make noise, maybe their length is 1/4 inch too short or something.

13. m3.hn

m3.hn Member

Any updates? How’s it holding up now with the new setup?

14. Tezla1

Tezla1 Member

few days ago, went back to UP for the 5th or 6th time, I can’t keep track anymore lol

they replaced front springs and put in the new isolators, were very helpful and took about 1.5 hrs. The rear springs, no change.

as for the clunking noise: the noise has been reduced significantly, but I still hear the clunking going up / down my driveway while at an angle.

At this point, I can only think that my problem is bad struts in front.

Did lowering the car damage my struts? I don’t know.

were the struts going to start making clunking sounds even if I never lowered the car? I don’t know

What do you guys think I should do?

15. EVDSCar

EVDSCar Member

Sound like too much trouble just for the look. Put back the stock then get done with it

16. Tezla1

Tezla1 Member

def not doing it for just the look.

the handling with UP springs is 100x better than stock.

17. KenMast3rs

KenMast3rs Member

Can’t they just replace you with the new updated version springs they have been working on?

I am still waiting for the updated moderate springs I’ve ordered in July. It’s like taking forever.

18. m3.hn

m3.hn Member

This is the only reason why I haven’t gone with the SUPER LOW springs because of this clunking noise everyone is getting.

I also have seen other cars with fifferent brand springs (I.e. Eibach, Tsportline, H&R, etc.) I’m thinking about picking those up but still im concerned about my struts that’s why I’m waiting.

Good luck man and please keep us updated now I’m hoping someone gives u a good response as to why this is happening

19. CaptainSlooow

CaptainSlooow Member

@UnpluggedP any comment as to what seems to be the problem here? I'd also like to get your moderate springs, but clunking noise would be a dealbreaker for me...

20. Tezla1

Tezla1 Member

Just want to point out that I’ve posted more recent updates than the post you quoted from me above. Since that post, I’ve been to UP twice and they’ve been trying to help resolve this issue since my first visit to them.

UP has been very accommodating, in terms of offering to swap springs / try new isolators etc.

The main issue UP is pointing to is that the spring isolators are the cause of the clunking noise.

In my opinion, after several visits, it seems that , at least in my case, it’s not the isolators.

why?

I had UP replace isolators twice, clunk noise still there.

I had UP replace springs twice, clunk noise still there.

My amateur opinion is that I’m going to need new struts. I am going to be in touch with UP this week to see what steps they recommend moving forward.