Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1349D4C5-D071-4777-B7F7-3A50DF6E01EC.jpeg
F660C15A-3F10-4595-BBC4-FA055B5E16D0.png
Here are some pics.

Top:

MODERATE, front and rear (making clunking noise in rear end)

Bottom:
SP in rear, Moderates in front.

Update:

Took car back today to UP to diagnose the clunking noise coming from rear of car after moderate springs were installed.

They tightened things up and put sleeves over entire rear springs. Took an hour and after it was done , we did a test spin and I could still hear a light clunk pulling out of the driveway there.

I stopped and was able to back up and recreate the clunk 3 more times. Again, it seems to be coming from rear of the car. Same noise as before.

So, I took it back to UP shop and they recommended to swap the rear springs to Super Performance (SP) & leave front springs the same Moderates.

They didn’t have any moderate or mild in stock.

The UP rep said the SP springs will look exactly like the Moderate but with slightly stiffer ride. He said it will be same drop in height as Moderate.
They seemed real cool about working with me until I was happy, so that’s a plus.

So, lacking any other options - I agreed to do the SP replacement for the rears.

30 mins later, it was time to test the new setup.

One major thing I noticed right as I was walking to my car:

The rear of the car now is twice as high as before. I asked the UP rep and he was also a bit confused and said he didn’t know why it was higher than Moderate springs.

Now, the front looks low and back looks high. NOT exactly what I wanted - I def like the look of the Moderate springs better.

I really did not like the look of the car at first glance, but hey, maybe it wears on me?
The rear looks higher than Front. Before it was level.

At this point, It was getting close to closing time and told I left after spending 3 hours there.

But, I told them if I still hear noises or I don’t like the way it looks - I want to go back to Moderates. They agreed to let me swap. They seem pretty cool about making things right.

I will post impressions of how the car drives / handles with this MOD / SP staggered springs setup.
Post some pics of the new springs

Update:

Front springs: (Moderates) they’re making a lot of noise now, it’s terrible! Clunk clang clunk everywhere I go! Not acceptable

Rear springs: (SP) I’ve grown used to the higher height than Moderates and like it - the ride is good, just about stock, handling NOT as good as moderates - probably bc they sit an inch higher than Moderates. But overall, it’s fine and I like the drop height in rear

I have an appointment to take it back to UP.

UP rep said they will attempt to “fix” the front springs lol

but I’m going to tell them I want them replaced, not fixed. I’m tired of the driving back n forth.

Have an appointment next week, will update results here.

So far, it seems unplugged springs are NOT ready for the street - they’re in beta mode and testing things it seems. I guess I’m the test dummy they’re testing on :/

I’m at UP shop right now, for the 3rd time.

My front springs became super clunky over the past 30 days - from no noise at all to embarrassing clunks every single time I’m in the car. It’s like they got damaged very quickly after a short period of use.

Anyway - at the shop now - they are going to replace my front springs with SP springs (they don’t have Moderates in stock).

will have an update with pictures here in a few hours

I’m at UP shop right now, for the 3rd time.

My front springs became super clunky over the past 30 days - from no noise at all to embarrassing clunks every single time I’m in the car. It’s like they got damaged very quickly after a short period of use.

Anyway - at the shop now - they are going to replace my front springs with SP springs (they don’t have Moderates in stock).

will have an update with pictures here in a few hours
Glad you're posting this. I've been waiting for them to get the moderates in stock before I bring my car there. Hoping you get it sorted.

Update: June 12

UP replaced my front moderate springs with Super Performance springs.

Now, my front end sits 1-2 inches HIGHER than before (with moderates). So, SP springs are higher than Moderate, not the same drop.

So, with this new setup of all 4 SP, the front wheel gap is 1/2 inch HIGHER than my rear wheel gap, which also has SP.

Front gap = 3 fingers
Rear gap = 2 fingers

I’m at a loss at how there can be such large differences in height from the same type of spring (SP)

The way it looks now, the Front sits higher than the rear ‍♂️

At first glance, I did not like the look of this irregular stance - it just looks off.

But, having little choice, I left UP with the understanding that they will allow me to replace ALL 4 springs again, if I’m still not happy with the look / noise.

As far as noise with new SP springs:

I will post an update on spring noise after I’ve had them on for a few days

View attachment 418661

Here is the new picture with new SP springs all around.

The gaps seem fairly close here, maybe the ground at UP wasn’t perfectly level?
I for one appreciate the honesty and updates.

The look of the SP (based on the above pic) looks to be a more appropriate height for my taste (looks like it could be stock). I don’t like the slammed look of the moderates (I realize I’m in the minority)

I find it super odd you’re having all sorts of bangs and clanks. I’m guessing the spring is moving in the seats. As the spring itself doesn’t make noise, maybe their length is 1/4 inch too short or something.

few days ago, went back to UP for the 5th or 6th time, I can’t keep track anymore lol

they replaced front springs and put in the new isolators, were very helpful and took about 1.5 hrs. The rear springs, no change.

as for the clunking noise: the noise has been reduced significantly, but I still hear the clunking going up / down my driveway while at an angle.

At this point, I can only think that my problem is bad struts in front.

Did lowering the car damage my struts? I don’t know.

were the struts going to start making clunking sounds even if I never lowered the car? I don’t know

What do you guys think I should do?

few days ago, went back to UP for the 5th or 6th time, I can’t keep track anymore lol

they replaced front springs and put in the new isolators, were very helpful and took about 1.5 hrs. The rear springs, no change.

as for the clunking noise: the noise has been reduced significantly, but I still hear the clunking going up / down my driveway while at an angle.

At this point, I can only think that my problem is bad struts in front.

Did lowering the car damage my struts? I don’t know.

were the struts going to start making clunking sounds even if I never lowered the car? I don’t know

What do you guys think I should do?

This is the only reason why I haven’t gone with the SUPER LOW springs because of this clunking noise everyone is getting.

I also have seen other cars with fifferent brand springs (I.e. Eibach, Tsportline, H&R, etc.) I’m thinking about picking those up but still im concerned about my struts that’s why I’m waiting.

Good luck man and please keep us updated now I’m hoping someone gives u a good response as to why this is happening

Update:

Front springs: (Moderates) they’re making a lot of noise now, it’s terrible! Clunk clang clunk everywhere I go! Not acceptable

Rear springs: (SP) I’ve grown used to the higher height than Moderates and like it - the ride is good, just about stock, handling NOT as good as moderates - probably bc they sit an inch higher than Moderates. But overall, it’s fine and I like the drop height in rear

I have an appointment to take it back to UP.

UP rep said they will attempt to “fix” the front springs lol

but I’m going to tell them I want them replaced, not fixed. I’m tired of the driving back n forth.

Have an appointment next week, will update results here.

So far, it seems unplugged springs are NOT ready for the street - they’re in beta mode and testing things it seems. I guess I’m the test dummy they’re testing on :/

@UnpluggedP any comment as to what seems to be the problem here? I'd also like to get your moderate springs, but clunking noise would be a dealbreaker for me...

@UnpluggedP any comment as to what seems to be the problem here? I'd also like to get your moderate springs, but clunking noise would be a dealbreaker for me...

Just want to point out that I’ve posted more recent updates than the post you quoted from me above. Since that post, I’ve been to UP twice and they’ve been trying to help resolve this issue since my first visit to them.

UP has been very accommodating, in terms of offering to swap springs / try new isolators etc.

The main issue UP is pointing to is that the spring isolators are the cause of the clunking noise.

In my opinion, after several visits, it seems that , at least in my case, it’s not the isolators.

why?

I had UP replace isolators twice, clunk noise still there.

I had UP replace springs twice, clunk noise still there.

My amateur opinion is that I’m going to need new struts. I am going to be in touch with UP this week to see what steps they recommend moving forward.