Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I ended up hitting a car *video*

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First: I wasn't looking. I turned on EAP to check an email. Yes, it was a stupid thing to do, and a lesson has been learned, but I wanted to share this anyway because EAP and all the safety stuff Tesla touts seems to have some faults.

EAP turns on within the first 1-2 seconds of the video, and I didn't look up until right before I was about to hit the car. I jerked the wheel hard to avoid hitting it, and ended up side swiping the cars rear left bumper. Damage could have been a LOT worse, but several things didn't happen.

Assuming EAP was actually on, it failed to stay in the lane. I noticed my car veered into the next lane at the same time the car in front of me was also changing lanes. Coincidence?

Assuming EAP was NOT on, and I had just turned on adaptive cruise control, the car still should have corrected the line and put itself back in the correct lane, or at least slowed down when it detected it was too close, or at the very least chirped at me. None of those things happened. I asked Tesla to pull logs to verify if EAP was on, but no response yet.

link to video: Imgur

Sorry to hear of your accident. However, the behavior you are showing looks nothing like I've ever seen EAP do in much more than 10,000 miles of usage on our cars. It really looks as though it wasn't on. If you had NOA enabled it might change lanes on its own but it would warn you. I suspect autopilot was not on. Please let us know what Tesla finds.

Sorry to hear of your accident. However, the behavior you are showing looks nothing like I've ever seen EAP do in much more than 10,000 miles of usage on our cars. It really looks as though it wasn't on. If you had NOA enabled it might change lanes on its own but it would warn you. I suspect autopilot was not on. Please let us know what Tesla finds.

+1

Reactions: P85_DA and brkaus

I agree. One "problem" with the car is that it tracks so damn well you can sometimes think you're on AP but you're not. It's caught me a few times, with a few blaring oh *sugar*'s. Even with AP possibly disabled, I'm surprised LDA or ELDA didn't kick in for him.

BTW to OP, thanks for sharing your mistake. We've probably all made "mistakes" too and I keep having to tell myself leave the F'n phone alone. Sometimes I might look just to see who a message is from and if important pull over. I never read it, that is my self justification that it's ok and safe. But just doing that is also asking for trouble. But I have depended on AP while I looked at the radio to select something. No worse than looking at a radio a decade ago with no AP to assist. But still, it only takes a split second looking away.

This episode of Black Mirror really hit home with me. I don't want to spoil it, I really liked it because it has helped remind me to not let myself get distracted while driving. It won't make sense until near the end when the main character gets his call through.

Smithereens (Black Mirror) - Wikipedia

Reactions: Sherlo
First: I wasn't looking. I turned on EAP to check an email. Yes, it was a stupid thing to do, and a lesson has been learned, but I wanted to share this anyway because EAP and all the safety stuff Tesla touts seems to have some faults.

EAP turns on within the first 1-2 seconds of the video, and I didn't look up until right before I was about to hit the car. I jerked the wheel hard to avoid hitting it, and ended up side swiping the cars rear left bumper. Damage could have been a LOT worse, but several things didn't happen.

Assuming EAP was actually on, it failed to stay in the lane. I noticed my car veered into the next lane at the same time the car in front of me was also changing lanes. Coincidence?

Assuming EAP was NOT on, and I had just turned on adaptive cruise control, the car still should have corrected the line and put itself back in the correct lane, or at least slowed down when it detected it was too close, or at the very least chirped at me. None of those things happened. I asked Tesla to pull logs to verify if EAP was on, but no response yet.

link to video: Imgur
Yeah so I’ll say it....YOU failed. Your the “driver” your vehicle is not in charge. Titles like this one are misleading.

+1 I have over 60k miles on AP1 and 2.5 those lines on highway look decent ..I also suspect AP didn’t engage as once it does it “locks” pretty well in the lane..sorry to see this hope things work out with timely repairs