Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I Enjoy the Car, I Really Dislike Tesla the Car Company

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And someone from Wisconsin has vast experience with the issues we face in California? :rolleyes:

I'm not claiming to (although I have been there with my Model S, yes).

What I am saying is that his extrapolation to the entire population is invalid (in addition to the fact that he was originally posting multiple threads for the same problem, which he finally stopped).

Edited to add: I forgot, my daughter actually did have to have service done to my S when it was in California (last year). Amazingly, she got in the next day and told me it was a pleasant experience all around.

Last edited:

Based on my many conversations with the service manager and service personnel, I can say that "my experience" appears to be quite common (at least in So Cal).

They seem to be just as frustrated and perplexed...

But they're used it, because they deal with this everyday. Unemotional, detatched (almost uncaring) to the current reality of Tesla.

So what would that lead me to believe..?

THAT THIS IS SYSTEMIC

One only needs to try and book a SC appointment in California or look at the long lines of brand new Tesla's lined up for repairs to know this is an issue.

Next I expect we'll hear arguments that there really aren't any waits at Superchargers in California or,
that "top of the line Model S loaners.. ..with all the best features and options" are the primary loaner car. And these loaners won't "eventually become an aging fleet of overused cars."

Give it up Bonnie.

SocalMS's vast experience with Tesla (he might actually have 1000 miles on his car by now) certainly qualifies him to make generalizations such as "THIS IS SYSTEMIC."

:rolleyes:

... and what qualifies you?

("he might actually have 1000 miles on his car by now")

Just over a thousand miles now...

A service manager from another branch picked up my vehicle for service.
.. and we had a nice talk..

Some Take Away From My Conversation...
. Some centers are much better than others.
. They are in the process of ramping up service personnel and techs to speed up queue time.
. They have been struggling with some body shops, quality control wise.. etc...
eg. Jobs that should take 24hrs is turning into week(s).
. He promised me things would be different with him and his center.

We even took a quick drive to test my cruise control/tacc issue, and something does seem to be broken

Everything went well.

He left me an X as a loaner.
* (could've been cleaner, but was cleaner than the past 4 loaner vehicles I've had)

We'll see how this goes...

Hopefully, from ALL THIS, Tesla's "customer facing" portion of the company improves...

... and what qualifies you?

("he might actually have 1000 miles on his car by now")

Just over a thousand miles now...

A service manager from another branch picked up my vehicle for service.
.. and we had a nice talk..

Some Take Away From My Conversation...
. Some centers are much better than others.
. They are in the process of ramping up service personnel and techs to speed up queue time.
. They have been struggling with some body shops, quality control wise.. etc...
eg. Jobs that should take 24hrs is turning into week(s).
. He promised me things would be different with him and his center.

We even took a quick drive to test my cruise control/tacc issue, and something does seem to be broken

Everything went well.

He left me an X as a loaner.
* (could've been cleaner, but was cleaner than the past 4 loaner vehicles I've had)

We'll see how this goes...

Hopefully, from ALL THIS, Tesla's "customer facing" portion of the company improves...

First, in response to your query...

Although I have over 90k miles of Tesla ownership (as well as years with other EVs), I have NEVER claimed to apply any of my personal experiences to the general population so nothing qualifies me (or you) to make such a claim. We each have our own experiences as well as how we react to them.

I have often shared my experience, and more often shared thoughts and ideas of how to make others' experiences better. That is what this forum is for - sharing thoughts, ideas and recommendations to help those who have not yet had those experiences. If you want to see how that works - go read the Roadster forum.

It sounds as if you are on the path to getting your car fixed. I hope it works for you.

I responded honestly to my CR survey when asked. I had three drive train replacements in three years on my Model S, none on my Toyota Highlander in the same period of time. Which car would I buy again? The Model S.

A perfect example...

* Had many problems with Tesla
* Still would buy again.

Does he wish Tesla could improve their overall quality/service? Of course..

Reactions: AmpedRealtor
First, in response to your query...

Although I have over 90k miles of Tesla ownership (as well as years with other EVs), I have NEVER claimed to apply any of my personal experiences to the general population so nothing qualifies me (or you) to make such a claim. We each have our own experiences as well as how we react to them.

I have often shared my experience, and more often shared thoughts and ideas of how to make others' experiences better. That is what this forum is for - sharing thoughts, ideas and recommendations to help those who have not yet had those experiences. If you want to see how that works - go read the Roadster forum.

It sounds as if you are on the path to getting your car fixed. I hope it works for you.

"shared thoughts and ideas of how to make others' experiences better "
* This is exactly what I'm doing...
* I'm letting the public and other owners know that Tesla's current quality / service standards are unacceptable!

"It sounds as if you are on the path to getting your car fixed. I hope it works for you"
* I've been on the "road" to getting things fixed since day one...
* The next time I need service, I hope it's a lot smoother..
* Hopefully Jon and other management personnel is in the process of making changes to smooth this process so future Tesla owners NEVER have to experience this kind of nonsense.

(in addition to the fact that he was originally posting multiple threads for the same problem...).
* With all due respect, this is Not True.

"shared thoughts and ideas of how to make others' experiences better "
* This is exactly what I'm doing...
* I'm letting the public and other owners know that Tesla's current quality / service standards are unacceptable!

"It sounds as if you are on the path to getting your car fixed. I hope it works for you"
* I've been on the "road" to getting things fixed since day one...
* The next time I need service, I hope it's a lot smoother..
* Hopefully Jon and other management personnel is in the process of making changes to smooth this process so future Tesla owners NEVER have to experience this kind of nonsense.

(in addition to the fact that he was originally posting multiple threads for the same problem...).
* With all due respect, this is Not True.

Again, this is YOUR experience, and should not be generalized to all Tesla owners (current or future) as a whole. Multiple people on this thread have tried to get you to understand that, but apparently have failed.

Good luck.

Reactions: Canuck
I have been following this theme for over 200 posts, so I will add to the fire:

I think the best word to describe Tesla, the Company, is desultory.

We bought our car in May 2014. We live in Fresno. At the time Tesla offered complimentary Ranger Service for us outlying owners. Some time later, Tesla reconsidered and either eliminated it altogether or started charging per mile--even for warranty repairs. To me, this is wrong. Then, some software updates that are heralded as improvements work poorly (the trip planner is still beta, correct?) and remain unresolved. Why introduce a substandard product at all? The map on the touchscreen is awful. There is no legend, the scale zooms in and out for no apparent reason, we cannot dial into a location without using navigation, we cannot view Superchargers on our route to see if they are working or not--we are limited to an X mile radius of our current location--Tesla does not care if we are driving north 400 miles today because the screen reflects a dozen Superchargers south, east and west that have no bearing on our trip. Recent developments with reduced Supercharging speed and vandalism/theft put the Supercharger experience into tenuous territory. Tesla's engineers knew, or more likely, should have known, about the wear and tear on the cables or infrastructure, if that is, indeed, the cause of reduced charging speeds. These engineers should have known that some of the components of the Superchargers are valued for certain other uses, and are vulnerable.

I have had very good experiences with service. I do not have any complaints. Service gets A+.

But the company could do much more for its customers. Tesla should have more information available to us on our smart devices and the touchscreen. Tesla should have a troubleshooting app for our phones. We can open the app up and look for solutions to our questions. I do not remember to reboot the main screen on those occasions that something weird happens. I did not know how to use the spinning wheels to adjust the volume for the radio until a friend showed me.

Tesla should have a basic Supercharger app for us. It should be able to be sorted by radius, direction or highway. It should display whether they are operating as intended or are showing reduced power or are offline for whatever reason. I don't want to be driving to Oregon next month only to find out that Corning or Mt. Shasta is off line when I am 100 miles away. I should be able to know that information before I leave, and I should be able to notify Tesla of my intentions to stop at various Superchargers, and Tesla should be able to send me a notice if an outage occurs.

Tesla is not proactive for those people who are not tech savvy. With the frenzy surrounding the release of Model 3, Tesla needs to rethink its intentions. Because a lot of customers and future customers will be disappointed if Tesla continues it desultory approach to making driving a Tesla a wonderful experience.

I have been following this theme for over 200 posts, so I will add to the fire:

I think the best word to describe Tesla, the Company, is desultory.

We bought our car in May 2014. We live in Fresno. At the time Tesla offered complimentary Ranger Service for us outlying owners. Some time later, Tesla reconsidered and either eliminated it altogether or started charging per mile--even for warranty repairs. To me, this is wrong.

I agree that is wrong.

Speaking of Tesla taking things away, the Valet service still shows on Tesla's web site as a benefit. Why not update the website to reflect reality?

"Valet Service

Your time is valuable and should not be spent driving to or waiting at our service centers. Tesla is putting in place a valet service, so that your car is seamlessly picked up and replaced with a loaner and then returned as soon as we are done. There is no additional charge for this."

Creating the World’s Best Service and Warranty Program

While Tesla is taking away benefits, other companies are adding them. Lincoln offers free Valet service even though their cars on average are much less expensive than Teslas.

Reactions: SocalMS
Since I don't feel like reading all 11 pages I'll just add my 2 cents here.... We can all agree we have had Tesla service not return our calls or emails. I don't hate Tesla as company. I love Tesla I just don't think it should take you 3 to 4 weeks to get your car back if you have problems with it. They should absolutely do something with the service. You should not have a 100k+ car delivered with multiple issues.....QC....... and not have your car for 4 weeks before they return it to you with higher mileage than what it had before. I just don't like that and not speaking of the super BS loaner cars they've given out to some people. It seems like all luxury brand car owners are getting the crappy cars as loaners. And dont even get me started on the lies you get from the service manager....
Tesla please fix your service! ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Reactions: SocalMS
Any post on this forum that is critical of Tesla must be invalid or written by a troll. Tesla has the ethics of a saint and should not be questioned. Right?
I've been repeatedly critical of Tesla in my time on this forum, and I've never once been called a troll or felt that my opinion was invalidated by others. This post strikes me as an attempt at poisoning the well.

Any post on this forum that is critical of Tesla must be invalid or written by a troll. Tesla has the ethics of a saint and should not be questioned. Right?

Yes, right. You finally got it. Now why keep fighting it when you know this is how the forum works?

It's a jab at about 5 posters on this thread who can't be objective.

Who are the four after you?

I want to weigh in on the other side...

Every "complaint" post (as you call them), addresses a different issue and a different experience..

This thread is a look at Tesla the Car vs Tesla the Car Company and how wide that gap is...

Positive experiences balanced against the negative experiences are essential to evaluating the car company. The car company is the aggregate of all the customer experiences. not just the negative ones.

What, in the aggregate, do customers think of the company?

Tesla is the top ranking car brand when it comes to customer satisfaction

Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA) Owners’ Overall Satisfaction At 93%: Prenzler Digital Media

There will usually be anecdotal outliers in an aggregate of data. But the aggregate contains a better evaluation of the company than the (sometimes unlucky but many times extra- sensitive ) outliers.

Last edited:
Reactions: clea