Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I expected more from a P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was very happy with my late 2013 P85 (non-plus). But the overwhelming list of upgrades made to the car over the course of the year, wanting to redo some factory and aftermarket choices, and me being a gadget freak that upgrades my iPhone every year made it difficult to resist. I knew I would be an emotional wreck if I had to sit on the sidelines every time a new autopilot feature was added by software update. So basically, any 1 or even several of these upgrades alone (including 0-60 in 3.2 seconds) would not be enough reason to upgrade. But everything together made it impossible for me not to:

0-60 in 3.2 seconds
AWD
performance plus suspension (without being forced into 21" wheels)
alcantara top pad, wrapped bow, and available in black (was never a fan of the two tone interior)
Recaro seats
higher resolution dash screen, and redesigned dash trim
wider opening rear doors
adaptive cruise control
blind spot indicator
lane keep assist
forward collision warning and mitigation
autoparking
automatic charge port door
air ionizer
normal turnstalk
quieter car
newer revision battery pack
larger visor and vanity mirror (just kidding!)
redo color selection (pearl white instead of solid white)
redo aftermarket tint and paint protection choices

Last time I knew nothing about tint so I got generic 3M. This time got Photosync. Last time I did whole car OptiCoat, then front Xpel, then OptiCoat on top of that, then 6 months later Xpel rest of car and OptiCoat on top of that. This time, did Xpel and OptiCoat whole car all at once. ;)

Got it. I'm thinking of just doing opticoat, let's hope I don't regret it down the road.

The P85 has nearly all of the performance of a P85D. Motortrend measured the P85 at 3.9 seconds 0-60. The P85D has been independently tested at 3.2 seconds 0-60. That's a difference of a whopping 0.7 seconds. When I floor my P85, I also get that "facelift" effect. That's not a P85D thing. It feels like I'm being launched off an aircraft carrier. It's my own personal roller coaster. Take a $40k loss just to gain 0.7 seconds when I floor the pedal once or twice a year?

Happy with what I have. :)

The difference between a 3.2 second car and 4.2 second car is very noticeable. When dragtimes did test sport vs insane on P85D (3.2 vs 4.0 seconds) the g force was measured to twice as much on the 3.2 run.

Tesla Model S P85D Insane vs Sport Mode 0-60 MPH Testing | DragTimes.com Drag Racing, Fast Cars, Muscle Cars Blog

At $20k more for the 300+ more horses? Easy decision to go with P85D. Plus u get the nice next gen seats!

Plus the P85D is also the only P model currently in production. So there's that.

- - - Updated - - -

No cognitive dissonance here. The P85D is unquestionably top dog. It just wouldn't be the right product for me today. When I bought my P85 it was only $10,000 more than a standard 85 for the additional performance and without any hit to range. It was a fair price. Today that discrepancy is even wider, and if you want a performance car you can only buy one with lower range than a non-performance. Today I would not get the P85D. It no longer seems to represent as good a balance as the P85 did in terms of price/performance/range considerations.

I already have the majority of the P85D's benefits, as I see them, in my P85, and more power than I personally know what to do with. These discussions are all relative.

Original quote:So is it worth it? That's a moot question that is relative to the buyer of course. I paid $122k for my P85+ and $129k for my P85D a year later (before taxes and fees) with the same options available at the time. In what world is that possible? What a deal! But I also paid $55k net to upgrade after 1 year of ownership given the 87% trade-in on my P85+. I admit that was tough to stomach. And I admit that I fretted daily awaiting my P85D delivery to see if it would be worth the money. I will say it has met my wildest dreams and more. Would most people do this trade-in? No. Did I waste a bit of money? Yes. But it was worth it to me. Please don't compare the incremental value of the P85D to a $55k trade-in cost. That's not a fair comparison. I chose to eat it on the first year depreciation to experience the D. Not everybody will do that. I respect your decision not to do that.

I think the original posters thoughts are being misinterpreted. We also test drove a P85D and felt it was totally awesome. This is OMG power and we started really questioning the need to provide college assistance to the grand kids. We quickly concluded their parents don't need sxxt (we gave them life for god's sake!) and we should be the ones enjoying this thing. But after really thinking about it it was not worth the loss on our current P85 to upgrade. That's really what he meant.

Now if this was our initial buy... We wouldn't even be having this conversation and I'd be looking for Audi R8's, 911 turbo's and Corvettes to kill.

And there's also a difference between the 0 and when the 3.2 second time begins. This is where the "D" really shines. There's just no latency compared to the rest of the ICE vehicles even using launch control. Its simply instantaneous. That's what's tripping everybody's trigger:)

I took my S85 in for its birthday service (2 years) and got a P85D as a loaner. Overall, the car is amazing. I love the new seats and the tremendous electronic advances and am in love with the car. I did notice a couple of things that you all might be able to help with....First, when I launched the car in Insane mode, I was blown away by the immediate "manned space flight" acceleration. However, when I timed it (twice) I'm getting 0-60 in something like 4.4 seconds. Nowhere near 3.2. I know that the top speed is limited in loaners, but does anybody know if the acceleration is also limited? More "testing" today before I return the car. Next, the noise from the dual motors is very noticeable and seems about the same whether its in sport or insane mode. Might get on somebody's nerves after while. I sense that more soundproofing may be coming soon. Lastly, I think that the premium sound system is nice, but certainly not $2500 better than the standard one. The testing here was limited.