Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I expected more from a P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never got to drive a demo P85D, but my production car when driven at a constant speed is quieter at all speeds than my Sig S85 is. The ONLY time I hear motor noise is when I stomp on the accelerator, and then it's a pleasant (and not very loud) turbine whine.

I've been driving a 2012 P85 for two years and have enjoyed knowing I've owned the most awesome car of its time. Sure, I was hoping it would be the "top of the line" for a bit longer, but just like any technology (iPhone, iPad, etc.), things get "outdated" quickly. I'm taking the same approach as I do with other "digital age" items: skip a generation or two between upgrades. I can only imagine what Tesla will be offering 2 years from now. I'm somewhat surprised to see how many P85 owners are in a rush to get the "D" so quickly... ok, I've considered it :)

Have had a D for 2 weeks now and my experience is a bit opposite of the OP's.
Tried the Auto Pilot features and found them interesting but more intrusive than helpful, so turned them off.
The blazing acceleration and good handling I embrace with joy each time I get in the car. They are exhilarating and very useful when dealing with traffic.
Love this car.

Yep, 3 weeks in now and I'm still giggling like a child each time I miss a yellow light and have to stop.

The P85 has nearly all of the performance of a P85D. Motortrend measured the P85 at 3.9 seconds 0-60. The P85D has been independently tested at 3.2 seconds 0-60. That's a difference of a whopping 0.7 seconds. When I floor my P85, I also get that "facelift" effect. That's not a P85D thing. It feels like I'm being launched off an aircraft carrier. It's my own personal roller coaster. Take a $40k loss just to gain 0.7 seconds when I floor the pedal once or twice a year?

Happy with what I have. :)

As the saying goes, yrmv...there are those of use who logged tens of thousands of km in P85 that say there is no noticeable additional noise from the front...

I think Ive read a couple reports from people who had test drove the P85D before their delivery, and said that the test drive vehicle had noticeably more noise than their production P85D.

This from someone who was going to get a S and is trying to justify the P85D....

I'll make it easy for you--- take my 2-week old 85 RWD and I'll go get a P85D and let you know how it is.... :D

Seriously though, I agree with the OP, WRT the benefits for the cost. I think it is worthwhile, but really more bragging rights. If I were going to build out a new MS right now it would be an 85D, but without the Performance upgrade. It isn't that I don't want it, but I don't think the cost difference/hike is worthy. Once you get sick of showing off, will the difference be worthwhile? But that is a judgement call that will differ person to person.

I think Ive read a couple reports from people who had test drove the P85D before their delivery, and said that the test drive vehicle had noticeably more noise than their production P85D.

I can confirm that. The P85D demo car with a 62xxx VIN I test drove had more front motor noise than my production P85D with a 63xxx VIN. Both had/have 200 miles on the odometer.

The P85 has nearly all of the performance of a P85D. Motortrend measured the P85 at 3.9 seconds 0-60. The P85D has been independently tested at 3.2 seconds 0-60. That's a difference of a whopping 0.7 seconds. When I floor my P85, I also get that "facelift" effect. That's not a P85D thing. It feels like I'm being launched off an aircraft carrier. It's my own personal roller coaster. Take a $40k loss just to gain 0.7 seconds when I floor the pedal once or twice a year?

Happy with what I have. :)

Being in Canada there is always concern with powerful RWD due to snow and slush. Had a model x reservation simply for the AWD until the D came out. So really option was for 85D or P85D. At $20k more for the 300+ more horses? Easy decision to go with P85D. Plus u get the nice next gen seats!

As first time Model S owner, I wanted to mention a couple of reasons (/rationale ;-)) why I went for the p85d.

Handling. It's wet a bunch in PacNW. I've always owned AWD/4wd cars here. I like to slide cars occasionally for fun, though sliding a rwd car unintentionally is never fun with family in the car. I also drive over the mountains here pretty regularly. I've both test driven and "played" in s85, p85, and found them to have a loser back end than I liked. We have a model x on reserve (though unfortunately missed the sig opportunity), and kept getting emails and calls to (presumably) convert us to the Model S. They failed as we still have the X on pre-order... Oh, hang on...

I like quick cars. I was seriously considering the GTR and the release of the 2015 with 2.7 0-60, seemed ideal. It was vetoed by my better half reminding me our children have legs and, even if I squished myself into the steering wheel enough to accommodate their unwarranted request, she would prefer it if the children didn't have to invariably climb over the front seats to get in (ie 4 doors please)

I LOVE the torque and performance characteristics of an electric vehicle. Ever since first driving an old RAV4 EV, I knew there had to be a way to get myself driving one.

I try to think of how to do my part to reduce non-replenishable energy use

I respect the way Tesla has built up over time. They are not perfect, though strive to learn from missteps, not repeat them, and do better with a "one team" mentality. Their communication is perceived as poor, though I trust they'll find a better balance over time.

Netnet: I could have gone for s85d, and indeed the reason I wasn't signing up on day 1 was that I had a hard time justifying the ~20k (a nice car in its own right) of additional cost. I didn't as a) I'd already waited ~5 years for this type of car and b) my better half took pity on my continued slobbering over p85d, and said "life is short, you deserve it". I ordered that same day, and haven't regretted a moment since. I respect it as a great feat of engineering and the fun if is :)

Anywho, opinion is just an opinion. I think all Teslas are great and one day I hope to pick up a roadster too. Once the children have gone to college... Right? ;-)

Had really lousy winter here for a week, so not much for fun drive - only couple flat out accelerations on the second day. My take:
1. Awesome acceleration (summer will eventually come to Minnesota)
2. No noise - I can barely hear the engine and only when pushing the pedal. More quiet than the P85/P85+ I tested
3. Good road holding in bad weather
Overall quite happy

Had really lousy winter here for a week, so not much for fun drive - only couple flat out accelerations on the second day. My take:
1. Awesome acceleration (summer will eventually come to Minnesota)
2. No noise - I can barely hear the engine and only when pushing the pedal. More quiet than the P85/P85+ I tested
3. Good road holding in bad weather
Overall quite happy

I put good Nokian Hakka R2's on my P85D. Here are some results that show how well it does in icy conditions! Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 Snow Tire Report - Page 7

I put good Nokian Hakka R2's on my P85D. Here are some results that show how well it does in icy conditions! Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 Snow Tire Report - Page 7

I bought the winter tires that come with the winter-tire package on the Tesla site. I hear they are good. However, if they ever need replacing I would definitely go Nokian Hakka. The best snow tyres I've ever used were Nokians. Currently I'm running on WRG2's all weather for my ICE while I wait for the Tesla to be delivered. In some cases these All-weather have functioned better than my dedicated snow tires I had from Michelin.

My first post... I read this thread and had to reply. I'm surprised there aren't more P85D owners replying with testimony. With all due respect, and everybody is entitled to an opinion, but in my subjective opinion the P85D is clearly worth the additional premium over either a regular P85 and even a P85+ trade-in. To those who say they are sufficiently impressed by the face pull of a P85 and don't "need" the P85D, I question whether they have actually experienced the P85D pull off the line. To AmpedRealtor, if you're falling back to 0-60 time comparisons, then you just don't get it. I'm quite confident that typical P85's are not doing 3.9 zero to sixty but more like 4.2 or 4.3. I owned a P85+ for a year. I loved it. Best car ever after owning a series of sports cars. But it pales in comparison to the P85D on both acceleration and high speed handling. Its a totally different car. There is nothing like it 0 to 30 - period (1 second?). All my friends who have received a ride in both laugh at the comparison.

As it goes for the acceleration, so it goes for the handling of the all wheel drive. The P85+ rivaled my former M5 on track handling and high speed offramp shenanigans. The P85D blows them both away. I'm not sure what it is - whether there is a new improved suspension or whether its the all wheel drive. The OP's mention of a loss in smoothness and a grinding is absolutely not what I experience. Quite the opposite, the car is a sled. Its on rails and pulls itself through turns at high speed. It taunts me and haunts me because I don't feel I have the guts to push it to where it can go. Everything I ask it to do, it does with a flick of the wheel. The only gripe I have is the deletion of the steering sensitivity setting. I miss the tight Euro feel of the Sport setting on my P85+. The current steering feels too light - as if the car weighs nothing.

So is it worth it? That's a moot question that is relative to the buyer of course. I paid $122k for my P85+ and $129k for my P85D a year later (before taxes and fees) with the same options available at the time. In what world is that possible? What a deal! But I also paid $55k net to upgrade after 1 year of ownership given the 87% trade-in on my P85+. I admit that was tough to stomach. And I admit that I fretted daily awaiting my P85D delivery to see if it would be worth the money. I will say it has met my wildest dreams and more. Would most people do this trade-in? No. Did I waste a bit of money? Yes. But it was worth it to me. Please don't compare the incremental value of the P85D to a $55k trade-in cost. That's not a fair comparison. I chose to eat it on the first year depreciation to experience the D. Not everybody will do that. I respect your decision not to do that.

On these issues, if you have a generally frugal and miserly mindset, you're very likely to want to find reasons why the P85D isn't worth it. And that's ok. And perhaps I'm equally trying to rationalize my spend. But man, I have to say, every time I drive the beast, I'm reassured.

The P85+ rivaled my former M5 on track handling and high speed offramp shenanigans. The P85D blows them both away. I'm not sure what it is - whether there is a new improved suspension or whether its the all wheel drive... Its on rails and pulls itself through turns at high speed. It taunts me and haunts me because I don't feel I have the guts to push it to where it can go. Everything I ask it to do, it does with a flick of the wheel.

I picked up my P85D in Denver on December 20th, after trading in my 2012 Signature P85, and I agree totally about the improved suspension and handling. My other car is a 2014 Audi R8 V10 with a VF-Engineering supercharger that gives it 750 bhp and 590 ft lbs of torque. The Tesla P85D, believe it or not, has slightly HIGHER limits in the corners (1.0G vs. 0.99G). Relative to the Signature P85, the P85D feels much more planted, stable, and solid. The steering feels a bit light at slow speeds, but becomes very heavy (which I like) at highway speeds and above. Like the poster above, I'm afraid to explore the limits on public roads, but I do know that I love the different feel and the tight handling. The driving and handling characteristics most closely resemble the new Bentley Continental GT Speed, but the P85D is quite a bit quicker and costs about 100k dollars less.

I believe that the P85D is still not actually delivering 691 bhp. My inverter gauge never reaches 480kW at full throttle, and we're looking for 515kW to achieve 691bhp. When launching from a dead stop, the P85D gives me no wheel spin whatsoever, whereas my P85 would always spin the wheels twice, one at 0mph and once again at about 20mph. I'm not sure what's going on with the limited power delivery in the P85D right now. I'm not surprised that the P85D is already beating Aventadors and Ferraris at any legal speed, even while it's not performing up to spec. It's already at the hypercar level. I just can't wait until Elon releases all the ponies.

So is it worth it? That's a moot question that is relative to the buyer of course. I paid $122k for my P85+ and $129k for my P85D a year later (before taxes and fees) with the same options available at the time. In what world is that possible? What a deal! But I also paid $55k net to upgrade after 1 year of ownership given the 87% trade-in on my P85+. I admit that was tough to stomach. And I admit that I fretted daily awaiting my P85D delivery to see if it would be worth the money. I will say it has met my wildest dreams and more. Would most people do this trade-in? No. Did I waste a bit of money? Yes. But it was worth it to me. Please don't compare the incremental value of the P85D to a $55k trade-in cost. That's not a fair comparison. I chose to eat it on the first year depreciation to experience the D. Not everybody will do that. I respect your decision not to do that.

On these issues, if you have a generally frugal and miserly mindset, you're very likely to want to find reasons why the P85D isn't worth it. And that's ok. And perhaps I'm equally trying to rationalize my spend. But man, I have to say, every time I drive the beast, I'm reassured.

I picked up my P85D in Denver on December 20th, after trading in my 2012 Signature P85, and I agree totally about the improved suspension and handling. My other car is a 2014 Audi R8 V10 with a VF-Engineering supercharger that gives it 750 bhp and 590 ft lbs of torque. The Tesla P85D, believe it or not, has slightly HIGHER limits in the corners (1.0G vs. 0.99G). Relative to the Signature P85, the P85D feels much more planted, stable, and solid. The steering feels a bit light at slow speeds, but becomes very heavy (which I like) at highway speeds and above. Like the poster above, I'm afraid to explore the limits on public roads, but I do know that I love the different feel and the tight handling. The driving and handling characteristics most closely resemble the new Bentley Continental GT Speed, but the P85D is quite a bit quicker and costs about 100k dollars less.

I believe that the P85D is still not actually delivering 691 bhp. My inverter gauge never reaches 480kW at full throttle, and we're looking for 515kW to achieve 691bhp. When launching from a dead stop, the P85D gives me no wheel spin whatsoever, whereas my P85 would always spin the wheels twice, one at 0mph and once again at about 20mph. I'm not sure what's going on with the limited power delivery in the P85D right now. I'm not surprised that the P85D is already beating Aventadors and Ferraris at any legal speed, even while it's not performing up to spec. It's already at the hypercar level. I just can't wait until Elon releases all the ponies.

I'm with you guys, just about everyone went "WOW" in my P85, with the P85D it's more like "HOLY SH#%!!!!!!!!" ... I've actually seen FEAR in a few people's faces!
It never gets old with me (& my lead foot), well worth the depreciation loss I took on a 1 year old P85.