Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I experienced the worst of Teslas during our road trip. And it wasn't that bad!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I thought I'd share our road experience from this past weekend. I feel like we encountered some of the inherently "worst" stuff about Teslas (and electric cars) during the trip, but it wasn't too bad so I thought I'd share and let everyone judge for themselves.

The road trip wasn't anything too crazy, we took a weekend trip from the New Hampshire border to New York City (just under 250 miles). Normally this wouldn't be anything special, but 1) we have a 75D with ~225 miles at full charge, 2) The trip included 7 people and lots of baggage, which I feared would impact range, and 3) it was between 9 and 19 degrees F during the weekend, which obviously impacts range a lot as well.

So we went on our way, with the first supercharger about 120 miles away. My average speed was about 70mph and range was very poor, we got to the supercharger with about 25 miles left. It was a bit scary to watch, but in practical terms didn't affect the trip at all. We charged up enough to make it to the next one, then arrived in NYC with about 135 miles left. We did our vacation thing and left Sunday where there was about 120 left after the phantom drain due to cold. Same deal with the range.

The first supercharger went fine, but 12 miles before we got to the second charger, a tire got flat and I had to pull into a rest stop. Luckily we were driving right past the rest stop and pulled in. I was pretty scared at this point because it was 12 miles from the charger, we had 40 miles left, it was ~15 degrees, we needed a tire, and 7 people were just sitting around anxiously. But surprisingly it wasn't too bad. I called the Tesla road service, and they sent someone with a spare tire. Since the network isn't too established in the Northeast yet they said, it took the guy an hour and a half to get to us, but he changed it in a few minutes and we were on our way. For whatever reason, the car's range decreased from 40 miles to 29 miles in that hour and a half. We were all out of the car in the rest stop plaza and the car was off, but they were pinging the car remotely so maybe that took up some charge.

Nevertheless, I got to the charger with about 14 miles of range left and we charged up and went home. There was a lot of anxious feelings, but in practicality this was like any other trip except there was an extra hour and a half added on. At all chargers, we didn't have to wait any longer than what we naturally would have anyway.

So I feel like we dealt with the range-in-cold issue, range in general with lots of people issue, and the lack of spare tire/service network issue, and all things considered it wasn't too bad :) Apart from being more mentally aware of projected range etc, and having to sit in a rest stop for a bit, there wasn't much else different from normal. And with an effective range of about 140 per charge, I don't envision much of a worse scenario. Rest at peace Tesla community! :)

The first supercharger went fine, but 12 miles before we got to the second charger, a tire got flat and I had to pull into a rest stop. Luckily we were driving right past the rest stop and pulled in. I was pretty scared at this point because it was 12 miles from the charger, we had 40 miles left, it was ~15 degrees, we needed a tire, and 7 people were just sitting around anxiously. But surprisingly it wasn't too bad. I called the Tesla road service, and they sent someone with a spare tire. Since the network isn't too established in the Northeast yet they said, it took the guy an hour and a half to get to us, but he changed it in a few minutes and we were on our way. For whatever reason, the car's range decreased from 40 miles to 29 miles in that hour and a half. We were all out of the car in the rest stop plaza and the car was off, but they were pinging the car remotely so maybe that took up some charge.
Were you charged for the tire and/or the service call?
If so, how much?

Good write-up. A flat is a concern in this and many new cars that come w/o a spare. I keep a plug kit, fix-a-flat goop and compressor in the car but it's not a fix all. This cold weather is killing my range! Went upstate last weekend, 150 miles which is not usually a problem. Thankfully I pass a couple superchargers on the way and have used them plenty this winter.
Wonder where you stayed. Manhattan is loaded with destination chargers.

Reactions: David29
The lower estimate after your wait is probably because of a cold battery pack. When you pulled in, your pack was warm from all the charging and driving, but during the wait it cooled off - which means both less energy chemically available in the pack and more energy needed to warm the pack.

We notice we lose about 30-50% of the estimate range in very cold weather and driving 75+ mph.
Approaching 50% when the temps are below 10* F and driving 80+ mph with some grade change.
I concur -- had the same happening going 73 with 20*F and some uphill grade. Hopefully the navigation will eventually improve and become better at calculating such occurrences.

When it's very cold, my BMW i3 only shows 50 miles of range on a full charge (EPA rated range is 83 miles). While driving, the battery warms-up and the range indicator starts to show more range. It will typically grow to 65 miles after 15 miles of driving. Likewise, when driving slowly in temperate weather, the range will actually increase during the trip.

The BMW range meter is very "jumpy". For instance, when I turn the heat-on, the range immediate drops about 5 miles. Turn it off and it goes-up 5 miles again. I guess it makes sense to do that on a car with only 83 miles of range. It really teaches you what hurts and what helps range. When you get into the 200+ mile batteries, it doesn't need to fluctuate so much.

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. It sounds like the superchargers up there aren't busy at all. Did you have to wait at all? Here in Southern California the biggest issue is many times the spots are all full so you have to wait a while. The issue should continue to get worse as more Teslas come on line.

When it's very cold, my BMW i3 only shows 50 miles of range on a full charge (EPA rated range is 83 miles). While driving, the battery warms-up and the range indicator starts to show more range. It will typically grow to 65 miles after 15 miles of driving. Likewise, when driving slowly in temperate weather, the range will actually increase during the trip.

The BMW range meter is very "jumpy". For instance, when I turn the heat-on, the range immediate drops about 5 miles. Turn it off and it goes-up 5 miles again. I guess it makes sense to do that on a car with only 83 miles of range. It really teaches you what hurts and what helps range. When you get into the 200+ mile batteries, it doesn't need to fluctuate so much.

Like GM and Nissan, BMW gives you a primary range display that's based on the car's calculations of how far you'l get from recent driving trends and the energy left, though GM's is much more damped (and said to be more accurate) than the others. Tesla doesn't.

There are three choices for the main range display - percentage, ideal miles, and rated miles. All three of those are fixed values, always the same when you have the same amount of energy left in the battery, regardless of how you've been driving.

In the energy display on the center screen you can get an estimated range based on the last 5/15/30 miles of driving, which is probably fairly similar to the BMW and Nissan normal range displays (the GM one uses fancy time bucketing, and things that happened three drives back still have some small effect on the displayed number.)

What kind of tire do you have? (20" or 22")

Considering having 7 person during winter time with temperature between 9 and 19 degrees F,
I would consider getting a spare tire and a Jack in my car in the future.

The number of super chargers in the NE area around NYC is preposterously lacking. It's gonna be very hard to sell with no infrastructure. Here are our super chargers in the area...
IMG_0046.PNG

The number of super chargers in the NE area around NYC is preposterously lacking. It's gonna be very hard to sell with no infrastructure. Here are our super chargers in the area...
View attachment 218382

Seriously?!? You have 8 supercharger locations within a 35 mile radius of central Manhattan. That's more dense than anywhere outside of California I believe (maybe some parts of Germany) - and only SF and LA areas in CA approach that. Superchargers aren't supposed to be your daily charging solution - it's much more efficient for all involved if you can charge where you park instead.

Edit: Looking through Supercharge.info, there aren't actually any concentrations like that in Germany. They tend to have them every 50 miles or so, but not big clumps. London, on the other hand, has 14 within a 35 mile radius...

Seriously?!? You have 8 supercharger locations within a 35 mile radius of central Manhattan. That's more dense than anywhere outside of California I believe (maybe some parts of Germany) - and only SF and LA areas in CA approach that. Superchargers aren't supposed to be your daily charging solution - it's much more efficient for all involved if you can charge where you park instead.

Edit: Looking through Supercharge.info, there aren't actually any concentrations like that in Germany. They tend to have them every 50 miles or so, but not big clumps. London, on the other hand, has 14 within a 35 mile radius...
I've used the super charger one time so its hardly a daily thing and the sparseness creates range anxiety quite often traveling around the Hudson Valley.

• Informative
I've used the super charger one time so its hardly a daily thing and the sparseness creates range anxiety quite often traveling around the Hudson Valley.

I drive along the Hudson Valley often. They are getting better with adding some along route 87. But as I'm sure ahtlys knows, if your on the east side of the Hudson River it can get dicey. Tesla recently added Tarrytown which has made my frequent trips much more convenient. I have a vacation home 147 miles away which is no problem on a charge with the temps over 40 degrees. Now Long Island is another story. From the Hamptons to NYC:1 SCer location with only 4 chargers! And many times are full with vehicles being serviced.

1) There was no wait at the superchargers (although I was driving at kind of off times; about 6:00 am Saturday on the way down and 8:00 pm Sunday driving home)

2) I have 20 inch tires

3) I wasn't charged for the tire, but need to go to the service center on Friday to get a matching tire and return this "loaner" one so I'll update once I know more on Friday.