Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I feed bad for all those 90D owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In less than one year of ownership (9 months) and less than $8k miles my $113k 90D Model S seems like a terrible purchase and would be worth a fraction of what it cost. Today you can get a 75D brand new (Shipping with 85k Batteries installed) for $20k less fully loaded and fully charge it and get the same daily mileage.

I dont like the way Tesla keeps adding value to existing models to entice new users while continuing to devalue their existing customers. There is no good time to purchase a Model S or Model X because the minute you get it something you paid for will be given away for free to the next buyer.

Whether is a higher speed charger or full glass roof it seems the longer you wait to make a purchase the better it is. Heck I bought the 90D and right after picking it up the 100D came out and 3 months later the 90D was discontinued. Its crazy how they make so many changes and your brand new car can be discontinued a few months after you get it.

I dont like the way Tesla keeps adding value to existing models to entice new users while continuing to devalue their existing customers. There is no good time to purchase a Model S or Model X because the minute you get it something you paid for will be given away for free to the next buyer.
It is truly horrible how Tesla continues to rapidly innovate and offer more capability and functionality for less money. What are they thinking? ;)

I think you should take a loss and sell your Model S 90D immediately before it loses more value. Obviously it is not providing you any driving pleasure or utility since Tesla tricked you when you made your purchase. Then wait for the "ultimate" Tesla vehicle that cannot possibly be improved upon. Buy that car and enjoy it for the rest of your life knowing that it will never change. That will be a very satisfying ownership experience.:rolleyes:

In less than one year of ownership (9 months) and less than $8k miles my $113k 90D Model S seems like a terrible purchase and would be worth a fraction of what it cost. Today you can get a 75D brand new (Shipping with 85k Batteries installed) for $20k less fully loaded and fully charge it and get the same daily mileage.

Whether is a higher speed charger or full glass roof it seems the longer you wait to make a purchase the better it is. Heck I bought the 90D and right after picking it up the 100D came out and 3 months later the 90D was discontinued. Its crazy how they make so many changes and your brand new car can be discontinued a few months after you get it.
ah yes, the harsh life of dealing with the high rate of evolution in engineering. how many $1K brick sized cell phones did you own? how about $5k plasma tvs?
do you really think that advances in technologies will cease when you make your purchase?
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but new cars are almost always a bad investment and in the case of tesla many times the car becomes functionally obsolete real soon after you take delivery.
if you dwell on the fact that newer better models will appear I promise you that you'll be miserable, console yourself with the fact that you own one of the most advanced cars on the road and enjoy what you have in the now.

ah yes, the harsh life of dealing with the high rate of evolution in engineering. how many $1K brick sized cell phones did you own? how about $5k plasma tvs?
do you really think that advances in technologies will cease when you make your purchase?
No plasma TV here. My $5k “flat screen” CRT (weighing in at 300 lbs) coasted me right past those nasty plasmas.

Reactions: VT_EE and rabar10
You guys have to admit Tesla's rate of change is quite unlike anything, though. Many changes back and forth, better to worse, every quarter, many times over.

Manic, really. :) And with a product with long delivery times into many places of the world, the product is often obsolete before you even receive it... a new smartphone is at least new for a year or so...

It is no wonder it can cause extreme Osborning sentiments. I wouldn't dare to buy another Tesla anytime soon because of it.

Hate all you want... If I could sell my Model S without losing $30k with 9 months of ownership I would. The depreciation on these vehicles is worse than any car I have ever owned. When the Model 3's are readily available the Model S will plummet even further and faster.

Pro Tip: Don't treat new car purchases as investments. Ever.

As for Tesla in particular, the depreciation is right in line with to slightly better than any other ~$100k luxury car.

Don't feel bad for me, I'm as happy today with my 90D as I was the day I picked it up.

I had the option before production to pay 3K to upgrade to 100D and passed on the 100D so I could get the bespoke interior combo I wanted, and have never looked back. At the time I also was under impression that free supercharging was gone for 100Ds. . . I don't even care that they brought it back. I got the car I wanted.

I assume you don't want the lecture about the oxymoron that is "car investment" but don't forget that the premium you paid helped Tesla create the platform from which the M3 is already changing the world's ecosystem and the automotive industry.

You've played a role in that and should be proud.

Enjoy the leading edge car you have. . . If you're just worried about balance sheet impact and keeping up with the Jones', Tesla is probably not a long term strategy for you. . .

Good luck and have a great weekend!

Bq38YJuCIAAjGdm.jpg
Change sucks!

Improve sure from one year model to another sure... Every Quarter when they need a boost in new sales.. No I dont agree with that.
They release improvements as the improvements are ready.

Do you have some other data that shows they purposely release improvements at a certain point in a quarter to boost sales? That would be interesting to look at.

Hate all you want... If I could sell my Model S without losing $30k with 9 months of ownership I would. The depreciation on these vehicles is worse than any car I have ever owned. When the Model 3's are readily available the Model S will plummet even further and faster.
"Hate"? I don't hate you. I don't even know you. I am simply making the point that Tesla innovates continually and for good reasons. And has been pointed out many many times on TMC, Teslas depreciate at the same rate as other high-end cars in their price range, and some analyses show they depreciate slightly less.
Improve sure from one year model to another sure... Every Quarter when they need a boost in new sales.. No I dont agree with that.
So you want Tesla to adopt the traditional old school approach to selling cars: have an annual "model year" where every fall changes are introduced as a package in the "all new" model version (a grossly overused phrase that is almost always a lie).

I would have thought you would have noticed when you bought your Model S that Tesla does not, and never has, follow the traditional "model year" approach that all other car manufacturers have used for many decades. Tesla introduces changes when they are ready to do so, not based on some arbitrary "model year" timeframe.

You own a revolutionary, fantastic car that is just as great now as when you bought it. Tens of millions of people would love to own such a car but can't afford it. I'm sorry you are not enjoying your Model S just because now Tesla sells a slightly bigger battery then you have and includes a few formerly optional features as standard.

By the way, via the magic of OTA software updates, you car will continue to improve for years to come.

You guys have to admit Tesla's rate of change is quite unlike anything, though. Many changes back and forth, better to worse, every quarter, many times over.

Manic, really. :) And with a product with long delivery times into many places of the world, the product is often obsolete before you even receive it... a new smartphone is at least new for a year or so...

It is no wonder it can cause extreme Osborning sentiments. I wouldn't dare to buy another Tesla anytime soon because of it.

Makes you wonder if it's time for another person to take the reigns as Tesla CEO. Elon has enough on his plate anyways with SpaceX and that whole SolarCity mess, not to mention his personal life.

Well I couldn't wait, so I didn't. (Reminds me of that Pentium 60Mhz I bought...)
The difference in mine is less than OPs case, but I see the prices, and I think about it a little.

If I ordered right now instead of 4 years ago, I'd get a 75D with the same range (well, -6 EPA miles), all that was in the tech package, active safety features, folding mirrors, glass roof, quieter interior, air suspension, the performance of what used to be the P, all for about $6k less than I paid for mine.

Regrets? Actually none. I prefer the coil suspension, solid roof, and use my front trunk often for things that will not fit in the new small one. (Euphonium, french horn, trombone are examples.) More performance would be nice, but my 5.4 0-60 still impresses anyone who hasn't been in one.

And
I've been driving mine for 4 years and well over 100k miles. And it's green. All worth it.