Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I feel terrible for GM Bolt owners as a former Volt owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone in my team has a Bolt. If I was the Bolt owner, I would park that car far far away from the house.
I still have the Volt so I hope the battery is not afftected.
I sold my 2018 Gen 2 Volt when I got my M3. The Gen 1 & 2 Volts I had were nothing short of amazing, but they don’t compare to the Tesla UI/UX (User Interface/Experience).

My Bolt is parked away from the house currently and we only charge when getting close to the 70mi lower limit, with charge state limited to 80%. Talked with the regional service rep, they “expect” to start shipping batteries to dealers by the 14th. GM apparently has some sort of triage protocol for which cars get rebuilt first, but that part of the “plan” is not public apparently. If my wife didn’t love the car, it would already be buyback city, considering the reason we have it, is because GM bought back our 2019 (higher risk car) for a 2021 (No risk at the time) car.

GM tells Bolt EV owners to park 50 feet away from other vehicles

As a former Gen 1 & 2 owner, I feel terrible for the predicament the current Bolt EV owners are in. I am frankly really disappointed with how their CEO,Mary Barra is handling this debacle. If their only solution is to warn owners about parking outside and not to charge or not charge their cars enough, they should be ashamed. This is not some small company out of someone's garage, and yet they seem to be abdicating responsibility, presently.
wow this is pathetic if true.

For what you get, once they finish messing with MSRP playing with the EV Tax Credit, the Bolt is a pretty good car. 200 BHP with a 238+ mile range proved to be a great commuter car. Note a Model 3, but a decent car. The downfall, like so many other corporations in the face of disaster, is ignoring the customers that bought into their idea. Mary Barra should go all in on repairing the trust with customers, many whom have survived not one battery recall, but TWO. There shouldn't be a new or EUV rolling off the plant in Orion until all current customer are made whole, one way or the other. Actually got a call today on them attempting to setup a battery repair date for mine (though I suspect they might be under the gun to resolve my repurchase request). My wife loves her Bolt because of the small nature and commuter size. Hopefully everything the baby Tesla will be, then we can look to move on.

Reactions: tm1v2
i think it was an OK car and i do miss CarPlay, but it was too small for me. although i'm not super fat, i am somewhat tall, and the seats in that car were just too narrow. i'm glad that i don't have it now with this battery debacle and i'm even happier that the damn thing didn't burn down my house.

the build quality of the M3 is definitely inferior but the UX experience and frequent software updates make up for that.

gM stopped making the Volt - sure sign it must be fine, right?
The Volt is a great car. GM puts a hard limited so you can't fully charge or fully drain its battery. 52 miles is great for around town. I took it to campgrounds, mountains, a lot of road trips. Put 40k miles on it in 4 years without a single problem. I just sold it. Due to the high resale value right now and the 9k tax credit, I essentially only paid TTL for it.
If they make a PHEV with 100+ miles range, I will absolutely buy one over any BEV.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Opening up the SC network for Combo ported legacy EVs is just an Elon gimmick. Tesla is smart enough not to kill the main feature that every non-Tesla EV owner starts missing when taking a long distance trip through sparsely populated areas with chargers in odd and often unsafe locations.
interesting idea - SuperCharger could "run some tests" ?? Will be interesting to see how SuperCharging for most will develop. Holland & Norway to start.

Does anyone know the latest on the new production Bolts?

Last I heard the production lines were still shut down: GM to extend Chevrolet Bolt plant shutdown by three weeks.

Did they ever produce and ship any "fixed" Bolts?
Only the courtesy vehicles that the above refers to AFAIK.

GM won’t make new Bolt EVs until at least late January 2022 was semi-recent news.

On the more positive side, quite a few people more people have gotten their pack replaced or have been flipped to the 881 recall where there's no longer REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE, including surprisingly me. In other words, dealer can order a replacement pack for your VIN. My '19 Bolt is a US-made pack, not a Korean pack so I figured I'd be waiting 6+ months, maybe year+

This presents some more complications for me as I'm near the end of the buyback phase:

Repurchase timeline survey has a table of the various phases people are/were in. Two different folks no FB groups are asserting that if I take the replacement pack, my buyback case will be closed or denied, so I'm not doing that yet.

Bob Lutz and GM exec management:

2016:
"Tesla burns cash. It's not a car company, it's a cult of fanatics who think Elon Musk can do no wrong. But financially, it doesn't work."

2021, now that TSLA is the most valuable auto manufacturer by far:
Lutz now states that Musk’s impact in the auto industry has been “unbelievable” and “nothing short of incredible.” Lutz then added a rather interesting detail related to Tesla’s competition from Das Auto. “This is why Mercedes-Benz and BMW are so afraid of him,”

What Bob's not saying is that GM and Mary are the true Tesla killers and has Elon quaking in his shoes. Elon is only taking down the Germans so he won't have to face GM. Elon and Tesla will surely surrender when he finally has to confront GM. ;)🤣😃

• Funny
Reactions: Brando
Bob Lutz and GM exec management:

2021, now that TSLA is the most valuable auto manufacturer by far:
"Lutz now states that Musk’s impact in the auto industry has been “unbelievable” and “nothing short of incredible.” Lutz then added a rather interesting detail related to Tesla’s competition from Das Auto. “This is why Mercedes-Benz and BMW are so afraid of him,”"

Just proves how idiotic top management is, seems to be an affliction to 95% of top management all over world (remember Behr Sterns and Lehman Brothers?)

GM had the chance with the EV1, the success of Hybrids proved there was a market for efficiency chasers.
Ignored.

buh buy.

Reactions: mark95476