Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I finally changed my seat cover to the white I wanted!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought my model Y with a black seatcover from a tesla owner.But I want a white cushion.I purchased the seat cover via Amazon and installed it.They’re extremely comfortable.Excellent value for the money, I’m thinking of purchasing the red seats in a couple of months to spice things up a bit.I am really satisfied with this product.I want to share the item with everyone.
lALPD3zUOvszZQjNAqzNAfI_498_684.png_720x720q90g.jpg
lALPD3lGvFZm82_NAqrNAgc_519_682.png_720x720q90g.jpg

What are those covers going to do to your airbags and seat heaters?
I suspect, nothing. The seat heaters are not in the cover, but generally a heating element that sits between the cushion and the cover. You can also see on the white cover a black tag which I suspect indicates air bag. Generally special stitching is used around the air bag that will break when the air bag expands.

I suspect, nothing. The seat heaters are not in the cover, but generally a heating element that sits between the cushion and the cover. You can also see on the white cover a black tag which I suspect indicates air bag. Generally special stitching is used around the air bag that will break when the air bag expands.
So you’ve got to go through 2 layers of material for the heat and 2 layers of stitching for the airbags.

You don’t think that’s going to be an issue? I certainly wouldn’t trust my life to messing with the airbag design. To each their own though.

So you’ve got to go through 2 layers of material for the heat and 2 layers of stitching for the airbags.

You don’t think that’s going to be an issue? I certainly wouldn’t trust my life to messing with the airbag design. To each their own though.

Just living life on the EDGE!!!!

I have a set of dark brown ordered to go over my black seats in my Black on Black ModelY.

I have installed the covers for half of a year.They have no effect on my airbags and seat heaters.I think everyone can use the covers with confidence.

Yes,I need to take off the black covers to install the white covers.There is an installation video on youtube. It's very easy to install.
Something about this discussion doesn't add up. These seat covers are intended to install tightly over the original seats. You do not remove the original upholstery. That would be a much bigger operation requiring more upholsterer skills. And BTW if you did replace the originals, the heating elements would come out as they are attached. The over-the-original installation is confirmed by the Bomely YouTube installation video. Several reviewerss of these and very similar aftermarket covers have reported that the seat-heating function works fine even through the extra layer of material.

There are indeed proper full-replacement upholstery sets available, for example the Tsportline products, but those are not these. They are more expensive, much more difficult for a DIYer to install, and require destruction of the original upholstery to re-use the heaters - the main reason I've been holding off.

Regarding the airbag issue, this is definitely a legitimate concern, but contrary to the implication it is not necessarily ignorant and reckless to go with aftermarket or custom upholstery. The proper techniques for allowing deployment of side-curtain airbags are by now pretty well-known and not at all beyond the technology of the seat-cover suppliers. On the other hand, there are endless ways to mess up anything. The customer must decide whether to trust the claims, in this case rather specific by the supplier, that the airbag function has been properly accounted for. As I wrote in a different thread, I think it's unlikely that you'd be able to get an honest unconditional guarantee for a safety-critical feature like this, on a few-hundred-dollar DIY-installed product shipped from China. Its just too fraught from a legal standpoint.

Anyway I'd ask @super_cool to reconsider or re-explain the answer about removing the black seat covers to install the white ones. That is inconsistent with my understanding of this particular product.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Something about this discussion doesn't add up. These seat covers are intended to install tightly over the original seats. You do not remove the original upholstery. That would be a much bigger operation requiring more upholsterer skills. And BTW if you did replace the originals, the heating elements would come out as they are attached. The over-the-original installation is confirmed by the Bomely YouTube installation video. Several reviewerss of these and very similar aftermarket covers have reported that the seat-heating function works fine even through the extra layer of material.

There are indeed proper full-replacement upholstery sets available, for example the Tsportline products, but those are not these. They are more expensive, much more difficult for a DIYer to install, and require destruction of the original upholstery to re-use the heaters - the main reason I've been holding off.

Regarding the airbag issue, this is definitely a legitimate concern, but contrary to the implication it is not necessarily ignorant and reckless to go with aftermarket or custom upholstery. The proper techniques for allowing deployment of side-curtain airbags are by now pretty well-known and not at all beyond the technology of the seat-cover suppliers. On the other hand, there are endless ways to mess up anything. The customer must decide whether to trust the claims, in this case rather specific by the supplier, that the airbag function has been properly accounted for. As I wrote in a different thread, I think it's unlikely that you'd be able to get an honest unconditional guarantee for a safety-critical feature like this, on a few-hundred-dollar DIY-installed product shipped from China. Its just too fraught from a legal standpoint.

Anyway I'd ask @super_cool to reconsider or re-explain the answer about removing the black seat covers to install the white ones. That is inconsistent with my understanding of this particular product.
I think you are right.I'm sorry I didn't answer clearly in my previous reply. The white cover I installed is actually just a cover instead of a replacement. Before that, in order to protect my original seat from scratches, I used a black seat cover. So I need to remove the black seat covers firstly and installed the white seat covers. If you have not installed the seat cover before, you can directly install the white one according to the installation video.

Reactions: JHCCAZ
I think you are right.I'm sorry I didn't answer clearly in my previous reply. The white cover I installed is actually just a cover instead of a replacement. Before that, in order to protect my original seat from scratches, I used a black seat cover. So I need to remove the black seat covers firstly and installed the white seat covers. If you have not installed the seat cover before, you can directly install the white one according to the installation video.
Thanks, that makes more sense

tbh, I'd prefer complete seat replacement. Someone near me has a white Y pax seat for $200 on craigslist. Doesn't help you though I know because it'd probably be another $200 to freight it over to LA - doesn't help me either because I want tan :(

Only 2 layers of material?

I've never driven naked and sat directly on the seat. I've always had numerous layers. 🙈