Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I finally found roof shades that for M3 2021!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As many of you M3 2021 owners know, the headliner of the 2021 version is slightly larger than prior model years, and therefore the roof shades currently being sold are slightly too wide. Either you get bowing as you try to clip them in, or you can’t fit them in at all.

Well, Tesmanian has finally released a version 2 of their roof shades, and mine fit perfectly. Hopefully this we’ll help other 2021 owners as well.

Why do they only do half of the rear glass?
Are the a flexible to fold or does it stay same size for storage?
They twist/fold for storage.

Roof shades are too opaque to see through enough to be able to see traffic. Basically all of the roof shades on the market today stop part way down on the rear portion of the roof so as to leave an unobstructed view out of the back of the car…that way you can see traffic out of the rear view mirror.

I looked for a shade that had a fold up flap that would go all the way down but didn't see any. You would fold it up for driving and the rest would stay in place. I'll get a standard accordion type shade for the front windshield to use at the beach, probably the only place I would bother.

Ah, this is for driving with them on. I was thinking for a parked car on a hot parking lot all day. Thats why the rear one doe not go away. I guess I am looking for something else. Somedays my car will sit in a hot parking lot for 4 days and I am trying to find a total roof and rear window coverage. Found one with suction cups but cumbersome and did not care for those.

I looked for a shade that had a fold up flap that would go all the way down but didn't see any. You would fold it up for driving and the rest would stay in place. I'll get a standard accordion type shade for the front windshield to use at the beach, probably the only place I would bother.
You’re looking for something like this:

AutoHeatshield Folding Ultimate Windshield Sunshade for Tesla Model 3 Model-3 2018 2019 2020 2021 Custom Fit Sun Shade https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CYGJ1T...abc_ZHP9A6F45S21XCZBW4AY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I use that item when the car is parked outdoors on a sunny day, and it works great and folds up easily.

But this thread is about shades for the overhead roof glass as well as the glass that slopes down to the rear window. Many of us are looking for something to give more shade to the interior while driving.

You’re looking for something like this:

AutoHeatshield Folding Ultimate Windshield Sunshade for Tesla Model 3 Model-3 2018 2019 2020 2021 Custom Fit Sun Shade https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CYGJ1T...abc_ZHP9A6F45S21XCZBW4AY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I use that item when the car is parked outdoors on a sunny day, and it works great and folds up easily.

But this thread is about shades for the overhead roof glass as well as the glass that slopes down to the rear window. Many of us are looking for something to give more shade to the interior while driving.
I guess it sounded like I was still looking but in a previous post here stated I'd already bought from Tesmanian for exactly that.

They already came! Good job by Tesmanian getting them out. 9pm Thurs to 10am Mon from California to NY!

Anyway, I gave them a try for fit. The front fits perfectly and the rear is a little tight. But here's the thing, this isn't something you're going to want to do in a beach parking lot as it's kind of a PITA to get in. Once in though they are tight. I took them out though without taking a spin as it is pouring down rain at the moment and cool and they aren't necessary at all. They'll go in when the weather improves and I'll probably leave them in for the summer. Folding them back up to fit in the case is also a bit of a trial, but I did it in the car just to see if it was possible and it was. You push the sides together and the frame will fold on itself. They are delivered folded up so you'll see how it goes.

I checked the view out the rear and it is hard to tell from my driveway whether they block the view at all. And one more thing, the reflective shield is separate from the mesh in the frame so you could install without that if you don't need the full sun protection.

They should make one that can pop into the windshield where the curvature of the glass will hold it in place without clips. The clips are the biggest PITA of the whole process. And one for the rest of the rear too.

Last edited:
The front fits perfectly and the rear is a little tight.

I ordered the Tesmanian set shortly after seeing the original post and I received them before my 2021 M3 LR arrived a week ago. I tried them yesterday. They fit very well.

I think the rear shade is intentionally tight so that its frame will bend to follow the curvature of the glass, giving more headroom for rear passengers.

The only problem I found was that in some places the car's headliner edge was to tight against the glass, making it difficult or near impossible to put some clips in spots I thought would be best. I had to place some clips a few inches away from ideal.

The included opaque reflective cloth inserts that you can add on top of the mesh were an unexpected bonus, since they're not mentioned or pictured on the web page. They give you the option of more light and heat blockage at the expense of no visibility through the roof.

Don't like how the rear goes so far down, that rearview mirror shot, which sight is already impaired by the design of the rear part, makes it worse.

Guess I will just pay the extra $$$ and tint the roof/rear glass 15% as well as side windows to match, 50% front. Probably will be more than enough shade then.

The only problem I found was that in some places the car's headliner edge was to tight against the glass, making it difficult or near impossible to put some clips in spots I thought would be best. I had to place some clips a few inches away from ideal.
I found that too but just fit the clips where they would go. There was enough room for them on every side somewhere.

I got these as well and they fit really well. The rear shade droops a little bit on the back but only because you can't put clips on the back part.

The clips for these also didn't fit in snug in some places. I cut the clip a bit and sanded down the edges to smooth them out. After I customized each clip for each section, I was able to insert the clips nicely into previous spots that were too tight. I suspect you can do this for the Tesmanian clips as well.

Don't like how the rear goes so far down, that rearview mirror shot, which sight is already impaired by the design of the rear part, makes it worse.

Guess I will just pay the extra $$$ and tint the roof/rear glass 15% as well as side windows to match, 50% front. Probably will be more than enough shade then.
I dunno I have my rear glass and side windows (20?) And still appreciate the (poorly fit 2020) covers on my 21 - in Arizona it was 118f on the drive home. But it's a dry heat?