Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I finally found roof shades that for M3 2021!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have the shade that Tesla sells? Based on the picture, it looks to span the entire length of the rear window. Can anyone confirm?

F9277926-8909-4D71-95E4-2A48EC9E0C1F.jpeg

Link

As many of you M3 2021 owners know, the headliner of the 2021 version is slightly larger than prior model years, and therefore the roof shades currently being sold are slightly too wide. Either you get bowing as you try to clip them in, or you can’t fit them in at all.

Well, Tesmanian has finally released a version 2 of their roof shades, and mine fit perfectly. Hopefully this we’ll help other 2021 owners as well.

I am still not clear on what these shades do. They look opaque but say they block (only?) 80% of the sun. From my initial research, it looks like the "dual" types have both opaque and screen shades. Can anyone comment on that observation?

I am still not clear on what these shades do. They look opaque but say they block (only?) 80% of the sun. From my initial research, it looks like the "dual" types have both opaque and screen shades. Can anyone comment on that observation?
The shades are a dense mesh material. You can maybe see an area of light thru the shade that is the sun, but it’s mostly opaque. Most of these types of shades also come with an additional liner that you can place between the shade and the roof that will completely block all light, if that’s your preference. You can find YouTube reviews as well which should help you picture what I’m trying to describe.

Thanks @sortaconfused. What you describe is the type I would prefer. But I'd like to find another member or three that have purchased from a particular company.
Well if it makes you feel any better, this is the fourth set of shades I have purchased! The shades a reference in my original post are by far and away the best fitting the best quality shades of all the ones I’ve tried so far, including tesla OEM.

Reactions: Pepar
None of that crap would cut it for me, living in the desert (110+F lately), and being prone to skin cancer (have a rare leukemia with the same BRAF mutation as melanoma). So my solution was to completely block the freaking glass, with the same material as my windshield sunshield. This company does aircraft insulation, and they're custom fit for each vehicle, so I recommend their windshield sunshield too (it lasts the life of the car). I bought both sets for less than $100 shipped. If you select 'TOP WINDOW', it comes with BOTH roof pieces. It's not super pretty, but since it's very close to the color of the headliner, it feels much more airy than black mesh, and you don't even look at them. You can also buy the shades for the side windows, like if you travel with the car in summer, when you charge it. I bought the rear windows for the doggie, and will buy the front windows now, for when we charge the car. You can get a discount with the 'DAD21' code, if you order soon, I guess. Not affiliated with them in any way; just a satisfied customer. Hope this helps somebody in my situation.

None of that crap would cut it for me, living in the desert (110+F lately), and being prone to skin cancer (have a rare leukemia with the same BRAF mutation as melanoma). So my solution was to completely block the freaking glass, with the same material as my windshield sunshield. This company does aircraft insulation, and they're custom fit for each vehicle, so I recommend their windshield sunshield too (it lasts the life of the car). I bought both sets for less than $100 shipped. If you select 'TOP WINDOW', it comes with BOTH roof pieces. It's not super pretty, but since it's very close to the color of the headliner, it feels much more airy than black mesh, and you don't even look at them. You can also buy the shades for the side windows, like if you travel with the car in summer, when you charge it. I bought the rear windows for the doggie, and will buy the front windows now, for when we charge the car. You can get a discount with the 'DAD21' code, if you order soon, I guess. Not affiliated with them in any way; just a satisfied customer. Hope this helps somebody in my situation.

Check out this YouTube video of a guy that did a wrap of his roof to completely block out sunlight. He calls it a “roof delete”:

• Funny
Reactions: ScoGold
Previously I had posted about the Tesmanian sunshades, mentioning that they didn’t fit properly. I had it in reversed, (they’re not a perfect square and can only go in one way). After putting it properly, I can report it fits nicely, no sag . I asked forum moderators to remove my old post.
For anybody who saw my negative post regarding the vendor, please disregard.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Previously I had posted about the Tesmanian sunshades, mentioning that they didn’t fit properly. I had it in reversed, (they’re not a perfect square and can only go in one way). After putting it properly, I can report it fits nicely, no sag . I asked forum moderators to remove my old post.
For anybody who saw my negative post regarding the vendor, please disregard.
I'm relieved to hear this! My shades fit so perfectly, and that perfect fit was such a stark contrast to all the other pre-2021 M3 shades. After seeing your previous post, I was afraid maybe I had somehow thrown some bad advice out to the community. Really glad to hear the shades are working well for you now.

I have an all black, max tinted M3 LR+. Even with the high end ceramic heat rejection tinting, it can still get hot in there after sitting in the sun! The roof shades def help. I plan on taking them out in the winter to enjoy the spectacular panoramic glass roof view. But in the summer, that yellow globe in the sky can get pretty overwhelming. :)

Reactions: haroldo
FWIW, I ordered the Tesla front sunshade a couple weeks ago when it happened to be in-stock in the Tesla store. I was hoping it was out-of-stock because they were resizing it for the 2021 model (as others have posted, the front sunshade opening is smaller on the 2021 than earlier Model 3s). The shade arrived and, while you can get it to clip in the opening, it's just a little too big so the shade doesn't lay flat against the roof. On the plus side, the quality of this thing is top-notch, so if you have a pre-2021 Model 3 and are looking for a front sunshade, I can highly recommend the Tesla OEM one... :)

• Informative
Reactions: David3
Previously I had posted about the Tesmanian sunshades, mentioning that they didn’t fit properly. I had it in reversed, (they’re not a perfect square and can only go in one way). ...
Just spent a week at the Jersey shore with the car baking in the sun all day. When I got into the car, there was no discomfort, you couldn't feel any heat radiating off the glass roof. I would highly recommend.

Sorry to bring a thread back from the dead, but this seems like exactly what I am looking for. Do you have any photos of this installed in the car?

How are they retained, with clips? How are they if you have any windows down?

TIA!

Reactions: tapau
The Tesmanian shades fit really well and block out a fair amount of the sun. That said, don't expect miracles if you park your car at Riis Park in that shadeless lot all day when it is 90 degrees out. That's why we have remote turn on of the AC!

I guess it's getting close to that time of year.

Thanks for your recommendation, I ordered a set for my Model 3 and really like them. Much better than anything else I have seen. Cheers from Vancouver, Canada.

I wanted to try a sun shield too, so I built a plastic frame and used a piece of an emergency heat screen and it works great! Even though I can see the sun there is no heat from it and I had to raise up temperature because it has become cold :)
It is only a prototype, I want to upgrade it into an easy removable protective shield. Budget for now: 5$ (and I have enough materials to cover back part of the roof)

Attachments

• IMG_20230820_151735.jpg
    IMG_20230820_151735.jpg
    333.4 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: Yeslak