Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I finally got a Kuat 2.0, but hitch pin won't fit my MYLR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After weeks of deliberation and ordering, I finally picked up my Kuat NV 2.0 Base the other day from REI. It turns out the hitch pin lock is too long to fit the OEM 2" receiver due to the electrical box. I contacted Kuat and got a quick response that a suitable replacement hitch pin would be shipped. Unfortunately the pins are backordered and it could take "several months" to ship. This is not a workable solution. Does anyone out there have an amazon link or part number that I can use to order a pin that actually fits in the Model Y with OEM hitch receiver?

After weeks of deliberation and ordering, I finally picked up my Kuat NV 2.0 Base the other day from REI. It turns out the hitch pin lock is too long to fit the OEM 2" receiver due to the electrical box. I contacted Kuat and got a quick response that a suitable replacement hitch pin would be shipped. Unfortunately the pins are backordered and it could take "several months" to ship. This is not a workable solution. Does anyone out there have an amazon link or part number that I can use to order a pin that actually fits in the Model Y with OEM hitch receiver?

How do you find getting the rack inserted? I have trouble with my Yakima as I can't see the opening of the receiver while standing hold holding the rack. I suspect it's mostly because the Yakima uses a 1 1/4 -> 2" adapter so you don't line it up on center.

How's the clearance with the hatch?

I did get that pin response from Kuat but they neglected the backorder bit.

This (or similar) is the fix:

Kurt's pin absolutely does not fit my Dec '21 build OEM hitch.
I just got this delivered in less than one day from Amazon Prime. And it works on my 21' MYLR OEM hitch! Its cheap and will work fine until Kuat sends me one when it gets in stock.
Master Lock 2866DAT 1/2 in. and 5/8 in. Swivel Head Receiver Lock for Class I-IV, 1 Pack, Black

Success. The Kuat NV2.0 Base took about 30 minutes to assemble. Very beefy, high quality construction. The NV2.0 will be my last bike rack. Of course I've said that before.....then we got the ebikes that weigh ~48lbs each. The rack installed on the MY in about 5 minutes, and another 10 minutes to mount the bikes. Everything seemed solid on the test drive, very little wobble.
980316E4-5D09-4D4B-9F5E-F733A15430F7.jpeg

Reactions: thesmokingman
This is the correspondence I had with Kuat about a week ago:

I have placed an order for a 2" hitch pin to be shipped your way when we get more in stock. I checked our stock this morning and I see that we have no locking pins in stock for the 2" size and will not likely have them for several more months. I apologize for this delay, but we will get one your way just as soon as possible.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Take care,

Kuat_WS_Logo_Black_sig.png