Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I finally upgraded

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EVer Hopeful

Jul 7, 2021
Texas
I'm on v11 (2022.16.2) and I have to say it's not as bad I had expected after reading comments on here (unless maybe I waited so long I skipped a level)

One thing it doesn't seem to do well though is handle my phone. It shows as connected, but I now have to use the keycard to shift into D or R. It's also not at all clear how you would get streaming audio off your phone to play. I read the manual (the release notes were pretty useless) and finally managed it, but it's certainly not as obvious as is was before the upgrade

I might try unpairing and re-pairing the phone later

I'm on v11 (2022.16.2) and I have to say it's not as bad I had expected after reading comments on here (unless maybe I waited so long I skipped a level)

One thing it doesn't seem to do well though is handle my phone. It shows as connected, but I now have to use the keycard to shift into D or R. It's also not at all clear how you would get streaming audio off your phone to play. I read the manual (the release notes were pretty useless) and finally managed it, but it's certainly not as obvious as is was before the upgrade

I had waited a couple of months and upgraded once I could select the buttons at the bottom of the screen. I am presently on 2022.16.3

At this point, the things that I am most unhappy with are:

1. Car wash mode. Why does it take six button presses to initiate it in my local car wash. And then an additional foot+shift+Drive to exit. A simple macro would automate the whole process so that I press one button to initiate everything, then press that button again to disable (and return back to the state before I had pressed the button). As is, the rollers kachunk-kachunk-kachunk under my tires until I can press the button sequence, then the frantic press-shift-drive-go to exit the wash before the car behind me runs into me.

2. Phone mode. For some reason it takes several button presses every time I want to use my phone for the first time in this trip. I press the green phone button on the bottom of the screen, then the CONNECT button, then select my phone from the list (even though I already told it was primary), then press the little Connect button, then wait...wait...wait. Then my contact list pops up behind this window, so I have to hit X to make that window disappear.

These are things that are trivial to fix in software. The funny thing is that the handling of my phone in v2021 was better than in v2022. But I must be the only person having these problems otherwise Tesla would have fixed it already.

However, they have added waypoints (additional stops). I used this for the first time yesterday. I added a store and then later a stop at a SuperCharger to an existing 180 mile trip that I was on. The Navigation system slotted them into the right order (instead of me having to manually reorder). So that new feature seems to be working well.

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

I also find the moderately complex Car Wash Mode sequence kinda terrifying— so much so that I often opt out of getting my car washed. Mostly I only use CWM (rather than simply retracting mirrors and going into Neutral) because I read that the pulsing water pressure could cause the charger door to pop open and become damaged by rollers if CWM was not engaged.

The Bluetooth connection for phone calls, SMS, and streaming audio is separate from the Bluetooth Low Energy connection for unlocking and starting the car and for auto-selecting the driver's profile.

Did updating the phone app fix all that? Sometimes I've had to do other steps to get the BLE connection to work, such as opening the app, turning Bluetooth off & on, redoing key setup in the car, and/or re-logging in to the app.

The driver's profile can have a preferred Bluetooth device to connect to for calls and streaming audio. Even then, sometimes I have to use the car's Bluetooth control panel to connect to my phone.

It's fine to start Carwash Mode earlier (when in the queue) and exit it later (after driving out of the carwash). The Exit button is present on screen, or just get up to 10 MPH.

Instructions for Model Y: Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla

I discovered the need to tell the staff your PIN-to-drive PIN or disable that feature. (The feature is useful because it's possible for someone to relay your phone's BLE to the car after you walk away.)