Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I found a 100% perfect paint match for UBERTURBINES.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found the PERFECT 100% UBERTURBINES PAINT MATCH !

I must be in the wrong industry. Going off paint chips of probably 500 shades of metallic grey I found the perfect match. Its from car quest. Make sure you get it in a base coat, not a base clear combo.

In the uberturbine pic I had a 1 inch long rash plus a 1 inch square chip on the face of one of the spokes. I used bondo, wetsanded to shape and sprayed. The picture attached is the rim after my work. Its at least 1/3 covered in this new paint.

When you spray ONLY tape off the tire itself, do NOT tape off the rims as you want the paint to mist over thr surrounding areas to blend. Also, keep the spray can HIGH away from the rim. Not the recommended 12". You want to keep it like 2 feet at least and mist spray the area to allow the paint to atomize and dissipate over a wide area. Do many VERY LIGHT COATS.

Make sure you order it in BASE COAT not the one step base/clear combo. You want the finish to be matte/satin not glossy with clear.
20220317_161018.jpg
20220317_161048.jpg

I wanted to bump this back up since I've just done this on my MYP 21" Uberturbines. ZMW blends very well. The key here, as OP mentioned, mask only the tires and blend the paint with the rest of the wheel itself.

Reactions: kimsta456
I wanted to bump this back up since I've just done this on my MYP 21" Uberturbines. ZMW blends very well. The key here, as OP mentioned, mask only the tires and blend the paint with the rest of the wheel itself.
Thanks for the bump, Rivets. I picked up a can of SUZ ZMW from my local Carquest and I tested it on a metal surface but the color seems very light (more like light silver). The person that made the paint said that SUZ ZMW is called Azure Gray Metallic. I did some searching and Azure, Midnight and Mineral Gray seem to be used interchangeably for the ZMW color code. Do you know if there is a difference between Azure and Midnight Gray? Did the first coat look more light silver than dark gray?

Thanks for the bump, Rivets. I picked up a can of SUZ ZMW from my local Carquest and I tested it on a metal surface but the color seems very light (more like light silver). The person that made the paint said that SUZ ZMW is called Azure Gray Metallic. I did some searching and Azure, Midnight and Mineral Gray seem to be used interchangeably for the ZMW color code. Do you know if there is a difference between Azure and Midnight Gray? Did the first coat look more light silver than dark gray?
As a person who use to paint, sell paint and currently manage a bodyshop let me tell you do NOT get caught up in the name of a paint. It can be very misleading. The code (ZMW here) is what you want. Also, PPG has what they call a brand code and that's the 6-digit number on the can and is as accurate for them as paint code. The paint code will apply to all brands of paint though.

As far as mixing it, it could have been their error. Trust me paint store employees oftentimes don't care too much about going over/under on a mix. They're not painters and don't understand that sometimes .3g can be a big deal. When it comes to spray paint cans that they fill it can make a huge difference b/c they only put a few ounces in those of actual base.

As far as that color goes, it does have what we call 'variants'. Different paint brands/lines will have a different number of variants for a particular color. PPG has Deltron, Global (gone or soon gone though), Envirobase, Omni, Shopline (same as Omni actually), Aquabase, and Nexa not counting the commercial lines. Envirobase may have 5 variants whereas Omni may have 1 thus giving Envirobase a better chance at a color match. Actually, I just looked Envirobase has 6, Omni has 1 and Deltron (most likely what OP has) has 4.

I've followed the recomendation from this thread and went to local Sherwin Williams Auto Paint store and ordered Suzuki ZMW spray can. They had two variants of that color code and I've picked the less metalic one. Paid $55 for a custom colored spray can.

Guess what - it doesn't match at all. It is slightly lighter, and I couldn't blend it.

I've tried other suggestions like Duplicolor and Rusomeum, and while they look close - there is no match.

So my next step is just to paint all four rims in satin black so I don't need to color match it anymore.

photo_2023-08-28_23-10-03.jpg

Reactions: easyev
I have a 2022 Model Y Performance Fremont build that we just picked up our first curb damage - i had a spray bomb mixed up of the Suzuki ZMW Mineral in base coat. I spent a good amount of time prepping and smoothing the alloy damage. I blended the newly sanded down edges with the original paint using 800 grit paper and wet sanded to make sure I had no edge between bare metal and the existing finish. Wipe down the entire wheel with 91% alcohol and wipe with dust-free cloth. I sprayed in light layers. Mist the paint about 16 inches from the wheel. It took 3-4 light passes about 10 mins apart to start to cover. I would say the results were impeccable. I completely forgot to take before shots - but I can assure you - they were not pretty. Now the big debate - do I go over the new areas with matte finish clear coat ? The paint technician was trying to convince me to go with a complete enamel spray, but I insisted on base only. Will update if I decide to clear with the matte. The custom paint cost $33 at Sanel Napa in NH. The matte clear was $30.

Attachments

• IMG_1616.JPG
    IMG_1616.JPG
    814.4 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_1617.JPG
    IMG_1617.JPG
    840.5 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1619.JPG
    IMG_1619.JPG
    430.9 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_1620.JPG
    IMG_1620.JPG
    410.4 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
A few notes here guys.

1) yes the Teslas do curb easy - when you hit the curb!!! 😉 The idea is to stay out 8-12”! I realize a clipped off mirror is more expensive to replace than a repairing wheel, but (touch wood) this is never happened
2) keep shopping for a rim repair place. I’ve got a place north of Toronto that does them for $125 each, can’t tell them from factory
3) anti-curbability > Looks! 18 or 19’s have a way higher profile and still look pretty good with the right wheel pattern. Just my 2 cents worth my friends.

I have a 2022 Model Y Performance Fremont build that we just picked up our first curb damage - i had a spray bomb mixed up of the Suzuki ZMW Mineral in base coat. I spent a good amount of time prepping and smoothing the alloy damage. I blended the newly sanded down edges with the original paint using 800 grit paper and wet sanded to make sure I had no edge between bare metal and the existing finish. Wipe down the entire wheel with 91% alcohol and wipe with dust-free cloth. I sprayed in light layers. Mist the paint about 16 inches from the wheel. It took 3-4 light passes about 10 mins apart to start to cover. I would say the results were impeccable. I completely forgot to take before shots - but I can assure you - they were not pretty. Now the big debate - do I go over the new areas with matte finish clear coat ? The paint technician was trying to convince me to go with a complete enamel spray, but I insisted on base only. Will update if I decide to clear with the matte. The custom paint cost $33 at Sanel Napa in NH. The matte clear was $30.
This looks great! Is Sanel Napa a regular Napa Auto store? I need to fix a scrape on my wheels too and would like to get a small can of this.

This looks great! Is Sanel Napa a regular Napa Auto store? I need to fix a scrape on my wheels too and would like to get a small can of this.
Sanel was taken over by Napa - so here in the Northeast, all of the orignal Sanel stores now have Napa parts and other Napa-related things to sell. Sanel always was geared more toward body shop and paint supplies. I am sure any good auto paint store can make this color for you. Just make sure you stress you want to get the base coat only. I am interested to buy the same color in a single spray enamel that has a satin clear in the paint, but I fear it wont match. I can say that after several washes, my touch up still looks fantastic.