Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I found a 14-30 outlet in my apartment! Questions about cables

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted before about getting a long 'regular' extension cable (and bought a 100ft one from amazon... that I may now return, based on this). This morning behind pictures my fiance had hung up in the kitchen, I found this!
ToMV4CY.jpg

Now, I would like to buy an extension cord for this and the 'official' tesla adapter to use with the UMC. My question is that I can't seem to find many 14-30 extension cables online, the most promising one I've seen is this:
Conntek RU1430PR NEMA 14-30 Dryer / Range Extension Cords

Does anyone have experience/recommendations for a 14-30 extension cord? I would likely need a 50, but I *might* be able to get away with a 25/35 foot (will have to remeasure later, was too dark this morning).

I did see posts about adapter/cords to a 14-50, but I'd rather leave it native end-to-end and not mess with setting amps, if possible.

Thanks!

@Gheldean, I read the initial thread on your situation and admire your determination to go electric. At this early stage, there are many challenges still facing proponents of EV's, and apartment living is one of them. The extension cord you linked seems to fit all of your criteria, but I wonder if it wouldn't serve you better to go to a more permanent solution. I know that you will mostly rely on charging from work, and that you are in close proximity to a SC, but the type of cord you are planning to use is very heavy and may add a lot of inconvenience to your daily routine. You should seriously consider any solutions that would allow you to install a connection point where you park the car. Good luck with your decision.

Thanks, I was determined to get and stick to going electric for a while now (before the reservation over 2 years ago).

Once I get this cable, it would not be for daily use (thankfully!), but instead to fully charge before weekend road tripping or winter 'extra' drainage for example. You're right it would definitely be a hassle lugging it out an in every day (but I would do it if I had no other option!)

So far in my first week of ownership, charging at work has been MORE than enough (absolutely no urge to even visit an SC to top off). I'm trending on the side of being safe, having a 25mph connection would feel much better as a backup over a 5mph connection (and for about the same cost as my prior cable, which I could then return).

*LONG TERM* I am even planning on reserving/waiting (again) for a Model Y to replace the Prius that we are currently keeping for my fiance... by that point we will hopefully have a better infrastructure solution (or a house, even!)

@Gheldean, I read the initial thread on your situation and admire your determination to go electric. At this early stage, there are many challenges still facing proponents of EV's, and apartment living is one of them. The extension cord you linked seems to fit all of your criteria, but I wonder if it wouldn't serve you better to go to a more permanent solution. I know that you will mostly rely on charging from work, and that you are in close proximity to a SC, but the type of cord you are planning to use is very heavy and may add a lot of inconvenience to your daily routine. You should seriously consider any solutions that would allow you to install a connection point where you park the car. Good luck with your decision.

Reactions: evJOULE
Seems as good a choice as any. Heavy duty extension cords aren't cheap. The copper is expensive and not enough are sold to lower cost of assembly. Notice the note about the cord being derated above 50ft. Make sure the one you order is still rated for at least the 24a you will be charging at. A 50a cord might be easier to source as RVers buy and use them. You could remove the neutral prong from the plug on the cord and the UMC adapter so that you don't have to make adapters or use the wrong 14-50 UMC adapter. If you're lucky, the plug on the extension cord will be openable and you might be able to remove the neutral prong without cutting (and might be able to replace it in the future, if needed).

When you measure, I'd use a rope as a stand in for the cord, then measure the amount of rope you needed. Then add a decent fudge factor.

Seems as good a choice as any. Heavy duty extension cords aren't cheap. The copper is expensive and not enough are sold to lower cost of assembly. Notice the note about the cord being derated above 50ft. Make sure the one you order is still rated for at least the 24a you will be charging at. A 50a cord might be easier to source as RVers buy and use them. You could remove the neutral prong from the plug on the cord and the UMC adapter so that you don't have to make adapters or use the wrong 14-50 UMC adapter. If you're lucky, the plug on the extension cord will be openable and you might be able to remove the neutral prong without cutting (and might be able to replace it in the future, if needed).

When you measure, I'd use a rope as a stand in for the cord, then measure the amount of rope you needed. Then add a decent fudge factor.

I wonder if we could find Gheldean a way to get an extension cord that does not have a neutral wire in it. This would make it lighter/smaller/cheaper potentially. Something like adapt from NEMA 14-30 to 10-30 at the apartment end, and then have a 10-30 extension cord with then the Tesla 10-30 UMC adapter? Not sure if anyone makes a NEMA 14-30 to 10-30 adapter or if anyone makes stock 10-30 extension cords (though there are places that will make you any cord you want custom... or you could potentially do it yourself if you could get the end connectors).

I wonder if we could find Gheldean a way to get an extension cord that does not have a neutral wire in it. This would make it lighter/smaller/cheaper potentially. Something like adapt from NEMA 14-30 to 10-30 at the apartment end, and then have a 10-30 extension cord with then the Tesla 10-30 UMC adapter? Not sure if anyone makes a NEMA 14-30 to 10-30 adapter or if anyone makes stock 10-30 extension cords (though there are places that will make you any cord you want custom... or you could potentially do it yourself if you could get the end connectors).

Here we go- Someone does make an adapter (I wonder if anyone else has one cheaper elsewhere):

https://www.evseadapters.com/products/nema-14-30p-to-10-30r-dryer-adapter

So then the trick would just be a 10-30 extension cord plus buying the 10-30 Tesla adapter (that part is easy).

Your 14-30 extension cord would of course work, but this just saves you a conductor.

Also actually, you could go with something like this come to think of it: https://www.evseadapters.com/products/heavy-duty-nema-14-50-extension-cord-for-tesla-20-ft It will plug into a 14-30 (as others above have suggested - it has the neutral pre-removed), but you would need to be sure to always manually set the charge rate down to 24a (which I am not sure is exactly code compliant).

Oh and here we go:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SOYBTAE/ref=asc_df_B00SOYBTAE5502514/

Here we go- Someone does make an adapter (I wonder if anyone else has one cheaper elsewhere):

https://www.evseadapters.com/products/nema-14-30p-to-10-30r-dryer-adapter

So then the trick would just be a 10-30 extension cord plus buying the 10-30 Tesla adapter (that part is easy).

Your 14-30 extension cord would of course work, but this just saves you a conductor.

Also actually, you could go with something like this come to think of it: https://www.evseadapters.com/products/heavy-duty-nema-14-50-extension-cord-for-tesla-20-ft It will plug into a 14-30 (as others above have suggested - it has the neutral pre-removed), but you would need to be sure to always manually set the charge rate down to 24a (which I am not sure is exactly code compliant).

Wow, thanks everyone for continuing to look! I didn't think of shifting it to a 10-30 instead, something else to look into potentially!

As for adapting to 14-50, I want to avoid electrical issues, or manual amperage shifting if possible :)

Also actually, you could go with something like this come to think of it: Heavy-duty NEMA 14-50R extension cord for Tesla, 20 ft. It will plug into a 14-30 (as others above have suggested - it has the neutral pre-removed), but you would need to be sure to always manually set the charge rate down to 24a (which I am not sure is exactly code compliant).
There were a lot of good ideas dancing around the issue. People did find the right site, and this is the product I would recommend for it. (But select the 50 foot version) It will plug natively into that 14-30 outlet, because it has the neutral pin removed, so it will fit 14-60, 14-50, or 14-30.

But, to then use it effectively without having to manually adjust the current, get the Tesla official 14-30 plug, and use a hacksaw or Dremmel tool to cut the neutral pin off of it. It's not connected inside the adapter anyway, so it's just there as a structural dummy. That way, it can plug into that extension, and also force the 24A current setting automatically, without your having to remember or worrying about it resetting due to a software update or something.

There were a lot of good ideas dancing around the issue. People did find the right site, and this is the product I would recommend for it. (But select the 50 foot version) It will plug natively into that 14-30 outlet, because it has the neutral pin removed, so it will fit 14-60, 14-50, or 14-30.

But, to then use it effectively without having to manually adjust the current, get the Tesla official 14-30 plug, and use a hacksaw or Dremmel tool to cut the neutral pin off of it. It's not connected inside the adapter anyway, so it's just there as a structural dummy. That way, it can plug into that extension, and also force the 24A current setting automatically, without your having to remember or worrying about it resetting due to a software update or something.
Except they don't list a 50ft. version, but they might make it to order. Be expensive, though. I had suggested modding a regular 50ft cord to accomplish the same thing, but this would be better.

I posted before about getting a long 'regular' extension cable (and bought a 100ft one from amazon... that I may now return, based on this). This morning behind pictures my fiance had hung up in the kitchen, I found this!

I think that this is pretty simple. If you want to keep the fiancé around, you aren't going to stretch a really thick cord from the door out to the car.

The pictures were hung to hide the plug. Making it much more prominent just won't fly.
Aside from that, it would be a PITA to manage.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Be very careful running an extension cord out from your apartment to the parking lot. Particularly if it goes over a sidewalk.

I had someone trip over my UMC and it broke the handle in half and cracked the charge port. Fortunately they weren't hurt, as I suspect I would have been liable.

I already have a strip to cover it when going over the sidewalk, was prepared for that after talking to the landlord :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0741PRVTQ/

Check out BSA Electronics.

I'm actually using a Dryer Buddy for my 10-30 outlet in the garage. I share it with the dryer so it's either dry clothes or charge the car.

Well, after installing it (mounting to wall), I was still short by a few feet. I asked Brad at BSA and he had an extension for me. He makes them as you order so if you can wait a while, it's worth it.

BSA Electronics