Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I found a 3 bar leaf on autotrader, 22 miles on the guesometer.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found a 3 bar leaf on autotrader, 22 miles on the guesometer.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=590562540

40d0a8c5a7fc43fe902d2e88369f634f.jpg

* 73,611 miles
* Multiple Owners

and for only $6,995 you can buy this beauty that won't get you to the next town and may not even get you across town and back!

Could leave it plugged in and hang out in the AC... as long as stationary.

And the description says 73 miles range. Is that mis-representation?
Every leaf on autotrader that has a 24 kWh pack says 73 miles, the 30 kWh say 84 miles, the 40 kWh say 107 miles.

No matter the actual usable range of the one listed, they only list by the pack rating and then make you check for the "money shot" that shows the bars remaining.

If you see 11 bars left think 85% range and also think there as a 3 kWh buffer on the 24 kWh pack. If you are used to 4 miles per kWh or 250 wh per mile then an 11 bar fleet is

* 24 kWh 11 bar 4m/kWh = 60 miles usable
* 30 kWh 11 bar 4m/kWh = 104 miles usable
* 40 kWh 11 bar 4m/kWh = 144 miles usable

but the catch is to get 4 m/kwh you need to drive slower or run 15" or 16" alloy wheels and you need to still have 11 bars to get the range my math shows.

It goes downhill from there if you have 17" wheels, or steel wheels with wheel covers, or less than 11 bars or drive very fast or some combination of the above.

Last edited:
Its years off from being more mainstream, if ever. But I do wonder how a company like Ample (a battery swap start-up for fast charging), which the Leaf is the main vehicle it works with, would handle this?

Ample is a twist in that it replaces individual packs as they lose their charge, rather than a whole battery. So I wonder if in older Leafs it just doesn't even touch the dead packs, and only swaps in and out live ones, leaving a car like this with 3 bars even after a swap.

Isn't the battery 8 years? That would be some time in 2021. I purchased a 2019 car "new" in 2021 and the warranties all started on delivery.

total failure might be 8 years but capacity loss isn't total failure, the capacity warranty is 5 years.

The warranty period on a 2013 wasn't as good as the warranty period on a 2019 is.

Li-ion battery pack warranty – 8 years or 100,000 miles against defects; 5 years or 60,000 miles against excessive capacity loss

They didn't up that until 2016 around the time the 30 kWh packs came out.

Last edited:
Reactions: brkaus