Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I found a screw stuck on shoulder of my rear tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SlimJim

Jul 25, 2019
USA
It is right on the shoulder and it is at an angle. It may or may not have punctured the tire. The pressure is holding steady even though I don't know how long it has been there. I just noticed it today while making a phone call standing outside of my car.
I know it won't be repairable if it has punctured it. I won't pull it out. I will leave it as is until it starts to leak.
It is my second screw in the tires on this car since July. I have never had two flat tires in a year.
That's some bad luck, right?
However, some potholes hit me unexpectedly. But I have not damaged the tires or wheels. I know the 20" Performance wheels would not have survived those potholes. So I felt lucky that I didn't go for the P3D a couple of times.
I am very tempted though so I may still pull the trigger on P3D on my next lease.
But foremost, I hope the screw did not go through the rubber all the way.
I will post the picture soon.

Edit: The screw head has fallen off since I saw it last at the parking lot. This picture is taken after I drove the car home for about 2 miles. So it was a fresh screw when I saw it at the parking lot. I hope the pressure will hold. It looks like the screw is laying sideways. I will carry the inflator just in case tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_6221.jpeg
    IMG_6221.jpeg
    399.1 KB · Views: 641
Last edited:
I got a flat on mine on the way home from picking it up with less than 80 on the odo, 1 mile from home lol.
Id guess most tire places wont patch it, ive gotten “to close to the sidewall” answers a few times that i just plugged myself and never had an issue. Either wanted to sale a tire or didnt want to be liable. But yea, last thing you want is it to work its way out when you arent ready.

I got a flat tire again.
This time it was a 1" long cut in the middle of the tread.

I noticed it was flat when I was walking to the car this morning at 9am.
My tires had 17800 miles and it was almost time to get new tires.

Tesla sent a tow truck to my home and I purchased a set of tires online from local tire shop and the car was towed to that store.

I called and notified them that my car will be arriving on a tow truck for full tire replacement.

My wife and daughter went and picked it up when the tires were installed.

1730: situation neutralized.

I was at work and had to coordinate and I am glad I won't have to drive my wife's car tomorrow.