Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I Found and “Fixed” Another Noise/Vibration Point

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been dealing with a noisy something vibrating in the back of the car for a while. I finally took the time to look around and it turns out that the rear deck (where the rear speakers are mounted) isn’t solidly mounted in there. Tapping on in, I could reproduce the sound.

Quick fix- from the trunk, I stuffed a couple of folded up socks between the metal of the deck lid and the deck lid itself.

Pic attached.

Attachments

• 47414AB0-939D-43E7-A970-40197D9D0770.jpeg
    47414AB0-939D-43E7-A970-40197D9D0770.jpeg
    359.2 KB · Views: 513
I’ve been dealing with a noisy something vibrating in the back of the car for a while. I finally took the time to look around and it turns out that the rear deck (where the rear speakers are mounted) isn’t solidly mounted in there. Tapping on in, I could reproduce the sound.

Quick fix- from the trunk, I stuffed a couple of folded up socks between the metal of the deck lid and the deck lid itself.

Pic attached.

I’d had two separate vibe issues coming from this area, one that resonated with a tone generator around 70-80hz and another that I couldn’t produce with the app. This fixed both! I’d tried less “aggressive” versions of the same but ultimately gave this a shot with a spare microfiber towel. Bliss!!

Nice! I've found that noise location is so difficult that I give up unless it really bugs me. I had a squeak that I swore was from the front of the car, but it turned to be my spare tire squeaking against the ceiling of the trunk. Put a towel on it, and the problem went away.

Spare Tire Mounted.jpg

(Modern spare).

I've got a chirp that happens randomly about once every fifteen miles, so I'm ignoring it for now.

Pic attached.
I'd leave the socks there, it adds some much needed color to the interior😂

What I would do is order some Dynamat and apply it the the underside of that thin metal shelf, Dynamat helps absorb and deaden vibrations.