Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I get a rebate for a level 2 charger...but it may just be easier to get a 14-50 put in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I live in Austin and they have a rebate program for getting a lvl 2 charger installed.

Austin Energy offers EV owners a rebate of 50% of the purchase and installation cost of an approved Level 2 (240V) charging station.
The maximum rebate amount is $1,200 for Wi-Fi enabled charging stations with the capability to communicate with Austin Energy and $900 for non-Wi-Fi enabled charging stations.

Home Charging Rebate

Anyway, they also state they can replace it any time which is a bit weird. My electrician I know can do the 14-50 for 300ish dollars. Im wondering if its worth it to get a fancier charger or just keep it simple. Any thoughts?

If the Level 2 electric vehicle service equipment (EVSE) will be installed inside a garage then the NEMA 14-50 receptacle is probably all that you need. If your electrician can install the 14-50 for $300ish just do it. IMHO the rebate program has too many gotchas including:
  • Requires a City of Austin electrical permit and inspection for the installation of all hard-wired charging stations and receptacles for plug-in stations.
  • A licensed electrician must perform installations of hard-wired charging stations and receptacles.
  • Austin Energy may, at any time during your commitment period, replace your charging station with an Austin Energy-owned charging station located in your home and on your side of the meter.

I went with 14-50 for the flexibility it offers: since I had to pay an electrician to do the work, I now have something that I can use for other purposes or future owners of the house can use in whatever way they want. I plug in a corded mobile connector and it works great. I prefer this approach.

Reactions: dhrivnak
If the Level 2 electric vehicle service equipment (EVSE) will be installed inside a garage then the NEMA 14-50 receptacle is probably all that you need. If your electrician can install the 14-50 for $300ish just do it. IMHO the rebate program has too many gotchas including:
  • Requires a City of Austin electrical permit and inspection for the installation of all hard-wired charging stations and receptacles for plug-in stations.
  • A licensed electrician must perform installations of hard-wired charging stations and receptacles.
  • Austin Energy may, at any time during your commitment period, replace your charging station with an Austin Energy-owned charging station located in your home and on your side of the meter.
That last part reads so weird! It may not be worth it.

In my estimation the Wall Connector turns out to be only about 136 dollars more expensive, and then I get to keep the Mobile Connector in the car. I recommend the Wall Connector even without any state rebate. There is still the 30% federal tax credit on any install btw.

Reactions: Big Earl
In my estimation the Wall Connector turns out to be only about 136 dollars more expensive, and then I get to keep the Mobile Connector in the car. I recommend the Wall Connector even without any state rebate. There is still the 30% federal tax credit on any install btw.

I read your post earlier! Hi! So the thing is actually, I'm considering the wall charger now mainly because we stay with family in houston often (almost 10 tims a year), so it may be nice to leave the spare cable there. I also found another electrician who is kind of a jedi with the rebates down here so Im going to look into it. My delivery is 3ish weeks out so I have a bit of time to work this out

Reactions: rjpjnk

Talking more with the electrician, with rebates on my end its around 150 more expensive for the wall charger. So something to think about.

My electrician had absolutely no issue filing the rebate and getting me a check. Sure, it needed a licensed electrician and a permit. But those are technically required anyway.

I have had the WC installed 4 years and they haven’t replaced it. When I asked about it they were keeping it open as an option for future time of use, monitoring for future programs, or curtailment.

With that said, there is no issue with a 14-50. I have my WC set at 50a anyway (40a charging).

I do appreciate the long cord on the Gen 2 WC though.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
My electrician is not a fan of plug-in “stove”electrical outlets. Unless “quality” equipment is used the springs lose tension over time and can cause heating/melting/fire (see internet for lots of scary failure pictures). Plus as mentioned you can store your mobile charger in the frunk for use in an emergency charging situation. Replaces that ICE spare tire you use to carry about, maybe used as much.

Just to resurrect this couple-of-year-old post. I did my installation today for my new Model Y LR I just picked up last week. Tesla Wall Connector, and used Grayzer Electric - if anyone is looking for an installation in the Austin area, they are great.

Beat everyone else's price by a lot, came and installed it, and required a run through my attic to the other side of my house. I don't have a garage, so it's next to my driveway. The process was completely painless. Less than a week since I booked to install it, then less than an hour and a half to do the work.

The same day (today), the permit was finalized, didn't require inspection, and I've already applied for my rebate. I think the language around Austin Energy replacing the charger at some point is just so they can have the option in the future, and it's also a commitment of only 3 years from now if they ever chose to do that. So for a $900 rebate, it was worth it to me to take the risk. Between the rebate, and the 30% tax credit, the installation and charger end up costing just a few hundred dollars.

This is my first post here on TMC as I am a new Tesla owner, so some may think this is an ad for them, which it's not, just want other Austinites who may come across this post to be aware as I did when I was trying to figure out that language from Austin Energy's rebate application.

I don't know about the specifics for that Austin plan, but I would just add that the wall connector is also safer as it has sensors and electronics in it that will slow the charge or shut it down in if it senses the wires are too hot. A 14-50 will happily let you burn your house down as long as the breaker doesn't trip. I'm in CA, but I put in two wall connectors (they are the older non-Wi-Fi ones where they use a network cable between them to share the load - when one car is charging, 48 Amps, when both are charging they each get 24 Amps so they go on one 60 Amp breaker). We've had them in for years now - first in 2017, second added in 2018. So convenient, and with no plugging and unplugging a 14-50 cord - a little safer.

Reactions: ElectroATX
In the scheme of things, there is not that much difference in cost between the cost of a properly rated 14-50 and GFCI and a hard-wired Tesla Wall connector. You can then keep the mobile connector in the car for convenience or emergencies. Penny wise and pound foolish, they say...

I wouldn't trade potential control by the utility for the rebate.

Reactions: sleepydoc
I also went with Grayzer and they were great. I don’t remember where I read or heard this, but new Nema14-15 requires gfci and the mobile charger may trip the gfci. Don’t know if that’s true but for a minor difference in cost after rebates, I decided to take the hardwired charger route.

Reactions: ElectroATX
In the scheme of things, there is not that much difference in cost between the cost of a properly rated 14-50 and GFCI and a hard-wired Tesla Wall connector. You can then keep the mobile connector in the car for convenience or emergencies. Penny wise and pound foolish, they say...

I wouldn't trade potential control by the utility for the rebate.
The wall connector charges faster though, and it's much easier to use. Also, mine is outside, so I'm not going to leave the mobile charger plugged in while I'm not here. And no 30% federal tax credit on that setup, or rebates from the utility, so it'll end up costing more for something that isn't as good.

You can always refuse and give the rebate back if that ever happened, plus it's only for a period of 3 years, and since this rebate has been going on for several years and they've never done it, I figure it's worth the risk to get $900 back in my pocket today, nothing to lose really.

I don't know about the specifics for that Austin plan, but I would just add that the wall connector is also safer as it has sensors and electronics in it that will slow the charge or shut it down in if it senses the wires are too hot. A 14-50 will happily let you burn your house down as long as the breaker doesn't trip. I'm in CA, but I put in two wall connectors (they are the older non-Wi-Fi ones where they use a network cable between them to share the load - when one car is charging, 48 Amps, when both are charging they each get 24 Amps so they go on one 60 Amp breaker). We've had them in for years now - first in 2017, second added in 2018. So convenient, and with no plugging and unplugging a 14-50 cord - a little safer.
The Tesla mobile connector does have outlet temperature sensing. Along with adapter, vehicle connector, and internal temperature monitoring.
SmartSelect_20230811_164541_Firefox.jpg