Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I get it now.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just drove my brand new red MY LR dual motor from San Francisco to wine country, through Marin county. It is an absolute blast to drive, hit 110 mph without realizing it. This is most fun I have had in a car since my Renault Gordini rally car. This is my third ev, so now I finally get why you guys love these cars so much.
Couple of minor fixable trim issues, build quality is excellent and so is the paint, fell in love with this car after I got over the Golden Gate Bridge.

1653B367-0CE4-47E1-897C-BD5E3064DA00.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, have to re-learn some driving techniques. Was on a 2 lane road with a car in front doing a bit under the speed limit. Waited for a passing zone and the road was clear, so I accelerated up to the car and by it. I was doing 93 when I pulled back over to the correct lane and I was well past the slow car. You don't need to rev up and get a running start to pass someone. The torque and quickness of the car is awesome.

Just drove my brand new red MY LR dual motor from San Francisco to wine country, through Marin county. It is an absolute blast to drive, hit 110 mph without realizing it. This is most fun I have had in a car since my Renault Gordini rally car. This is my third ev, so now I finally get why you guys love these cars so much.
Couple of minor fixable trim issues, build quality is excellent and so is the paint, fell in love with this car after I got over the Golden Gate Bridge.

I also picked up MY today (black), not many issues... im going to make a post with details in a bit.. some of these may actually be normal, im not sure.... but driving it... awesome... BUT not as crazy as I expected to be honest. We also have a Honda Clarity PHEV (55 mile battery and 7 gal gas tank) but we drive it pure electric (1 tank of gas in like 5,000 miles). If you put that thing in Sport mode, it launches pretty good. MY definitelly launches faster... but I though the gap would be larger from what I feel in the Clarity. So I am surprised (you having owned 3 EVs before MY didnt get it yet). I got it when I got into the Clarity lol.

Anyways, Im happy nonetheless, and ill be SUPER happy, once they address the issues I found.

Reactions: heems
Yup! My Model Y carves around turns and just goes instantaneously without a sound!

(I drive Hwy 17 (over Santa Cruz mountains) regularly and I just got pulled over for speeding this morning. :eek:)
We did the Ortega Highway yesterday in our 150 mile loop. This road goes over a 3,000 foot mountain range between San Juan Capistrano and Lake Elsinore. While not as adept as our RWD M3, it certainly held the road nicely (I had to limit pushing it in deference to my lovely bride, whose knuckles were beyond white).

I also picked up MY today (black), not many issues... im going to make a post with details in a bit.. some of these may actually be normal, im not sure.... but driving it... awesome... BUT not as crazy as I expected to be honest. We also have a Honda Clarity PHEV (55 mile battery and 7 gal gas tank) but we drive it pure electric (1 tank of gas in like 5,000 miles). If you put that thing in Sport mode, it launches pretty good. MY definitelly launches faster... but I though the gap would be larger from what I feel in the Clarity. So I am surprised (you having owned 3 EVs before MY didnt get it yet). I got it when I got into the Clarity lol.

Anyways, Im happy nonetheless, and ill be SUPER happy, once they address the issues I found.

My other two Evs were a Chevy bolt 0-60 mph in 7.8 secs and my wife’s Niro ev o-60 mph in 7.6 secs, the MY 0-60 in 4.5 secs, a quantum leap me. I can’t stop smiling since I got this car.

Yes, have to re-learn some driving techniques. Was on a 2 lane road with a car in front doing a bit under the speed limit. Waited for a passing zone and the road was clear, so I accelerated up to the car and by it. I was doing 93 when I pulled back over to the correct lane and I was well past the slow car. You don't need to rev up and get a running start to pass someone. The torque and quickness of the car is awesome.

I suspect I’ll have to relearn some things too. Our first EV was a Leaf, and it’s regen braking was nowhere near as strong as the MY I tested (this week). Taking foot off accelerator felt like a firm brake. In the meantime, waiting room.

Acceleration "feel" is subjective. Honda Clarity is a 7.5 seconds 0-60 car. The Y is either 4.6 or 3.7, per Motortrend. That's a massive difference.

Congratulations on your MY. I love my M3 LR RWD after 40k miles and a lifetime of many fine cars. BUT I thought I’m the only one old enough to have a clue what a Renault Gordini was!! My father’s first family car after returning from WWII stationed in Europe after his surplus Jeep was a Renault 4CV. For driving enthusiasts who love back roads with lot’s of curves, I think the one pedal driving is at least as enjoyable and helpful as the torque. As far as passing, I have learned I can scare the heck out of the car I’m passing who is certain I simply can’t pass within what’s left before the next curve. So they immediately slow down as I pass.

Congratulations on your MY. I love my M3 LR RWD after 40k miles and a lifetime of many fine cars. BUT I thought I’m the only one old enough to have a clue what a Renault Gordini was!! My father’s first family car after returning from WWII stationed in Europe after his surplus Jeep was a Renault 4CV. For driving enthusiasts who love back roads with lot’s of curves, I think the one pedal driving is at least as enjoyable and helpful as the torque. As far as passing, I have learned I can scare the heck out of the car I’m passing who is certain I simply can’t pass within what’s left before the next curve. So they immediately slow down as I pass.

GTV6, leodoggie, apologies if I derail this thread – please direct message me if I do – but I'm burning of curiosity to hear about your Gordini's. Do you mean the Renault 8 version? Or something different? I have only two years left to wait until my Renault Spider – a distant cousin – turns 25 and I can import it to California...

PF

Yup! My Model Y carves around turns and just goes instantaneously without a sound!

(I drive Hwy 17 (over Santa Cruz mountains) regularly and I just got pulled over for speeding this morning. :eek:)
Mark 75476: I drove Hwy 17 for over 7 years. I had a Honda Prius at the time. After several years of driving along side those large gravel trucks, my wind shield and front hood were badly pitted from the rocks and sand that falls off the trucks. I would suggest that you clear rap the front area of your beautiful new MY.