Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I get it now.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just drove my brand new red MY LR dual motor from San Francisco to wine country, through Marin county. It is an absolute blast to drive, hit 110 mph without realizing it. This is most fun I have had in a car since my Renault Gordini rally car. This is my third ev, so now I finally get why you guys love these cars so much.
Couple of minor fixable trim issues, build quality is excellent and so is the paint, fell in love with this car after I got over the Golden Gate Bridge.

View attachment 559866
Careful, there, Mario! That’s exactly how I got a speeding ticket! Had it 5 days....

Mark 75476: I drove Hwy 17 for over 7 years. I had a Honda Prius at the time. After several years of driving along side those large gravel trucks, my wind shield and front hood were badly pitted from the rocks and sand that falls off the trucks. I would suggest that you clear rap the front area of your beautiful new MY.

I used to live in Santa Cruz for about 32 years and drove hwy 17 (the hill) to the valley for many years.
I agree on getting PPF for at least the front end and mirrors. The windshield will take a beating as well.
Moved to Phoenix in 2012 and bought my red M3 LR RWD with 19” sport wheels almost exactly 2 years ago. Best car I’ve ever owned.

Reactions: AhwatukeeDad
I couldn’t be happier with my MY LR AWD, too. Only issue I’ve had is with the inductive phone pad charger, but it was easy to make an appointment through the app; a tech is coming to my home to fix it on in a week or so.
8CA6DDAE-DB7E-476F-B231-D98CD6B7679C.jpeg

Reactions: IdaX
We did the Ortega Highway yesterday in our 150 mile loop. This road goes over a 3,000 foot mountain range between San Juan Capistrano and Lake Elsinore. While not as adept as our RWD M3, it certainly held the road nicely (I had to limit pushing it in deference to my lovely bride, whose knuckles were beyond white).

Could you say more about how the RWD 3 and your new Y compare in driving and acceleration? I assume you have an awd Y and not the performance?

I also have a model 3 RWD (long range) and the performance is plenty for my driving style. I currently have a reservation for the long range RWD Y, but am willing to upgrade to the awd lr Y if needed to get a similar level of performance. After seeing your comment I wonder if the AWD Y is even worse than the RWD 3?

Yes, to one of the comments above. Red is the "best" color. Have had my Model 3 for 16 months. Total service cost $42. $30 for rotate and balance and two bottles of windshield washer fluid for $12. My car was (is) perfection. Trim, paint, body panel alignment perfect. Not a single quality issue then or now. My only gripe is that the font on the display is too small. (notice that I have grey hair.) Can't see range or time without my glasses but can't drive with my glasses on. Font size should be adjustable by user. LOVE our Model 3!

Just drove my brand new red MY LR dual motor from San Francisco to wine country, through Marin county. It is an absolute blast to drive, hit 110 mph without realizing it. This is most fun I have had in a car since my Renault Gordini rally car. This is my third ev, so now I finally get why you guys love these cars so much.
Couple of minor fixable trim issues, build quality is excellent and so is the paint, fell in love with this car after I got over the Golden Gate Bridge.

View attachment 559866
Welcome to the club! I am a '17 MS owner. Only misgiving is the limited range, but that is only a problem on 2 or 3 road trips a year. I see the technical advances in the new M3 and MY, but I have to say, the styling of of MS is still the prettiest car on the road.

Welcome to the club! I am a '17 MS owner. Only misgiving is the limited range, but that is only a problem on 2 or 3 road trips a year. I see the technical advances in the new M3 and MY, but I have to say, the styling of of MS is still the prettiest car on the road.

Could not agree more. LR MS is taking EVs to the next level. This one is two weeks old. Our second MS, traded in the -17. SF to Mendocino today with 3 bikes on the roof. This is a real car. None better. Our kids love it too... (the fourth bike fit in the trunk).
5AC06E3B-3AAF-4FD1-9B15-198943E25761.jpeg

I used to live in Santa Cruz for about 32 years and drove hwy 17 (the hill) to the valley for many years.
I agree on getting PPF for at least the front end and mirrors. The windshield will take a beating as well.
Moved to Phoenix in 2012 and bought my red M3 LR RWD with 19” sport wheels almost exactly 2 years ago. Best car I’ve ever owned.
I lived in Scotts Valley for 10 years (1990 - 2000). Due to a job change, I had to drive to Milpitas over HWY 17 for work. I have a white M3 LR RWD that I picked up on May 31,2018 after waiting 26 months (to the day). I agree that It is best car I have every owned. Enjoy! In a previous post I miss stated the name of my
old car: It was a 1994 Honda Prelude.

Just picked up my MY black on black yesterday from SF. The paint had many spots where it needed to be buffed out but they pretty much buffed the whole exterior right in front of me and it looked like it did the trick. The charging port door doesn't appear to be out of alignment but I am not 100% sure on the tail light issue people have been reporting. Can anyone offer an easy suggestion of how to tell if it's misaligned? Maybe because it's not obvious, that means it's ok?

The MAJOR issue I found which they claimed they never saw before, as two technicians for in the back seat looking into it, was when I lowered the 60% back seat section when I went to push the seat back into place, the motor that is used for the seats failed and won't lock the seat back up.

They tried to fix it and determined the motor needs to be replaced so they noted it and will handle it in a couple weeks.

Other than that, car drove like a dream and I am officially in the "what the hell am I looking at on this giant screen" phase of ownership. Lot's of bells and whistles to get through and since it was a "touchless delivery" they couldn't get in the car and give me the quick and dirty explanation of all the major attractions.

View attachment 559866

Please be mindful of speed limits and for safety’s sake, there a setting to limit the max speed of the car. Far too many cars have been totaled and too many killed/injured in high speed crashes. I understand your excitement and joy of ownership of a superior technology vehicle. However, it’s quite too easy to loose control due to tire energy limitations. Please be safe. Thanks

My first car was a Renault Dauphine.Gordini.

I also picked up MY today (black), not many issues... im going to make a post with details in a bit.. some of these may actually be normal, im not sure.... but driving it... awesome... BUT not as crazy as I expected to be honest. We also have a Honda Clarity PHEV (55 mile battery and 7 gal gas tank) but we drive it pure electric (1 tank of gas in like 5,000 miles). If you put that thing in Sport mode, it launches pretty good. MY definitelly launches faster... but I though the gap would be larger from what I feel in the Clarity. So I am surprised (you having owned 3 EVs before MY didnt get it yet). I got it when I got into the Clarity lol.

Anyways, Im happy nonetheless, and ill be SUPER happy, once they address the issues I found.

Quick question, did you opt for the Gemini or Induction rims?

Lots of nice features to get used to. I love the auto wipers. Passing a truck on a rainy day, the spray causes the wipers to pick up speed and then return to normal. I was impressed at how well they handled that.
The TACC, not as impressed. It works fine, if there is a car in front of you and will match their speed.
However, on a hilly or curvy back road, the car slows down (sometimes significantly) until it can determine things are clear far enough ahead to resume the speed. It definitely errs on the side of caution.