Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I go to my S 100D today. No vanity mirrors or upgraded MCU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel for you dude. I missed it by 4 months and its killing me, can only imagine how you feel. My suggestion, don't bother asking your DS or service center.

Go to your My Tesla account online and escalate to the executive team about your displeasure. Ask about a retrofit for the MCU

Escalation isn't for whining about missing production features, it's about actual problems. Elon had made it very clear that Tesla doesn't care about this kind of complaint and it goes against their corporate culture of constant innovation. You will just abuse a channel intended for more serious customer issues.

You feel 'cheated'? Did Tesla not deliver something that you ordered? Seems like you got exactly what you paid for. If these items were of material importance to you, you could have inquired about them prior to delivery. OR you could have refused delivery.

This is a good point. I’ve debated over this (internally) while I was waiting (ordered 1/28, production 3/14). The “you’re getting the exact, amazing car you drove and wanted,” side won out a couple days ago. Obvi, with this late production date, I have the new MCU, but I’m happy, either way.

Russell

I think you are referring to the exploding Firestone tires and how drivers reacted. It had nothing to do with the vehicle. However, I never heard of an Explorer driving into a street sweeper or tractor trailer and killing the drivers. ;)
Why exactly are you here? I’ll never understand why there are always a ‘select few’, with total disdain for a product they don’t own, that come to an owner’s forum and behave like a clown. Unreal. If only you knew what you sounded like to owners.

Reactions: croman and Buddyroe
I feel a bit cheated and sad.

Edit: I meant "I got."

I feel for you but and you could've refused the delivery? But if really wanted to take the deliver, enjoy it buddy. It's an amazing car, without it too. I hope they offer the MCU upgrade at some point. I took the delivery of mine a couple of weeks back and would wait for that too...if that was to happen.

Last edited:
Why exactly are you here? I’ll never understand why there are always a ‘select few’, with total disdain for a product they don’t own, that come to an owner’s forum and behave like a clown. Unreal. If only you knew what you sounded like to owners.
I think he’s joking. It’s far superior to any other make of car on the road despite that it will let you run into a firetruck. Was that car that ran into the firetruck AP1 or AP2? Are there any Porsches that will let you run into a firetruck? M3’s gunning for you, Porsche.

P.S. you should have been prepared to refuse delivery. That’s the only fair way to play the game.

Don't! I think that whole MCU upgrade is totally overblown. The screen responsiveness of the old one is amazing. I don't think it will matter a bit now or in the future weather you have a new or an old MCU.

so not having the keyless entry via bluetooth on phone is totally overblown?
Or having an actually working web browser... :T

Sorry, but that keyless bluetooth entry like the model 3 to me IMO is a very big upgrade, more so then all the other stuff.

Russell

I think you are referring to the exploding Firestone tires and how drivers reacted. It had nothing to do with the vehicle. However, I never heard of an Explorer driving into a street sweeper or tractor trailer and killing the drivers. ;)

Those tires had everything to do with the vehicle. They were sold as OEM equipment, meaning they were sourced by Ford. And judging by how the lawsuits played out, the courts agreed.

Since Tesla uses a "continuous innovation" process, they introduce small or large changes quickly into production - without waiting for a new model year.

It can be frustrating when this happens immediately before or after your car is delivered.

For us, we ordered our S 100D last January. At that time the 48A onboard charger was standard; upgrading to 72A cost an additional $1500 (or $1900 after delivery). Shortly after our S 100D was delivered in March, Tesla changed the 100D configurations and made the 72A charger standard. I recently checked with Tesla about upgrading our charger to 72A - and they're answer was still "it will cost you $1900", even though our car already has the 72A charger on board, and we're software limited to only 48A...

And that's OK - that's what we configured and purchased. (Though we'll always have the option to spend $1900 to turn on the other 24A of charging.)

Tesla might offer an upgrade for the MCU and lighted vanity mirrors - but only if the upgrade can be done at a reasonable cost. If the MCU is just a swap - then when they have enough of the new MCU available for Service Centers, they should offer an upgrade, like they did with 3G to LTE.

The lighted vanity mirrors may be more complicated though. Since the previous mirrors didn't have an lights - there probably isn't any wiring installed to power the vanity mirrors. If that's true, then replacing the mirror isn't going to be a simple, and could require disassembling a lot of the interior to run a new wiring harness - which could cost significantly more than the cost of the parts. With Tesla's limited bandwidth in their service centers, they may prefer to avoid doing upgrades like this.

I hope they are not using old spec parts when new parts run out on the assembly line. I know Tesla wants to post maximum numbers for quartely deliveries, but expectations of new customers have been set based on the current spec and what is posted on the forum.

Good luck with that. My February 2013 build Model S came with the original A-pack battery that Supercharges slower than subsequent versions. I know of several people personally who received cars with B-packs before I got mine.

Congrats on your new car!! Welcome to Tesla. I know there are many apologists for Tesla, but this is very common and widely disliked. You need to be happy the EXACT day you order your car because they may change major specs without any notice or warning.

Indeed. Best not to get too fussed about it.

My new X is arriving next week. Will be interesting to see if it has the new or old MCU.