Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I got a question for upgrade the infotainment.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys I have an 2016 model x and both of my screen have bubble so I contact Tesla to fix the issue and they quote me $1,435 for the parts. And since my car is still using the mcu 1 so I contact them and see if I can just do the infotainment upgrade. And they say yes and now they are gonna charge me another $1750 for the upgrade. My question is does upgrading the infotainment suppose to change out both screen and not charging me double?

Hi guys I have an 2016 model x and both of my screen have bubble so I contact Tesla to fix the issue and they quote me $1,435 for the parts. And since my car is still using the mcu 1 so I contact them and see if I can just do the infotainment upgrade. And they say yes and now they are gonna charge me another $1750 for the upgrade. My question is does upgrading the infotainment suppose to change out both screen and not charging me double?
You will LOVE the MCU2 setup. Feels like a "new car". I did my 2017 X. The drivers screen is always replaced as it is now a 'display' in MCU2 vs a display+CPU in MCU1.

For some times there was a $250 discount if you kept your own screen but that may have been due to part shortages. I would asked Tesla to be sure.
See this thread where the $250 is talked about. MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade - technician skipped screen replacement

And they say yes and now they are gonna charge me another $1750 for the upgrade.
Tesla’s website currently says:

“This upgrade is available for $2,250 plus applicable tax, including installation, for vehicles equipped with Autopilot Computer 2.0 or 2.5 and for $1,750 plus applicable tax, including installation, for all other vehicles.”

I think 2016 MX is AP2.0…. Or did yours squeeze in before that? So I would have expected them to give you a quote of $2250, which should not be in addition to their earlier quote to replace their screens. If you want to keep radio capability, there is an extra cost. I haven’t missed the radio at all, as I stream everything.

Reactions: brkaus
The upgrade is trash. I paid almost 2k and the voice command and the theater section have never worked. It's been in the shop for a month and they haven't been able to fix it. They tell me my service is done every week or so and when I go to pick up the car it is all still broken so I just drove away with the loaner again. I have a feeling they'll never fix it but they better refund me. The "upgrade" is buggy trash.

The upgrade is trash. I paid almost 2k and the voice command and the theater section have never worked. It's been in the shop for a month and they haven't been able to fix it. They tell me my service is done every week or so and when I go to pick up the car it is all still broken so I just drove away with the loaner again. I have a feeling they'll never fix it but they better refund me. The "upgrade" is buggy trash.
What car are you upgrading?

My '17 X is working absolutely great on upgrade with voice commands. It was not with the MCU1. If it ever doesn't recognize the command then it seems like a communication problem with the cloud/mothership. A two finger reboot resolves it.

Does your issue(s) happen on wifi and cellular? Only one or the other? Perhaps one of the antennas? If it was only voice then I'd suggest a mic which I had replaced years back.

What is your issue with the theater section? Again, does your issue(s) happen on wifi and cellular?

Reactions: henderrj
You are truly the absolute FIRST person I've heard unhappy about the upgrade. And thats with hundreds of happy reports. There is something else going on with your car or install that is not right.

The upgrade as a whole is far from trash. Your experience is unique, this upgrade is one of the most popular and lauded Tesla add ons. Mine works fantastic and fixed several bugs present on the original MCU.

I just had my 2013 Model S upgraded with MCU2. Both of my screens were leaking and the car would take a long time to boot up. For the $1750 they replaced both screens and upgraded to MCU2. It looks great and works great except I too have an issue with voice commands. Voice commands worked when I took it in. I used it to start my USB music when I drove it to the service center for the upgrade. I have to use voice commands to have USB music start where it left off. Anyways, after the upgrade I get the message "Connection Error. Try Again" almost immediately after I push the voice button on the steering wheel. My LTE is working plus It also gives me the same message when on Wifi. I have a Mobile Tech appointment setup for Tuesday.

• Informative
The issues with the voice command are not uncommon - I have had that now on three cars upgraded to MCU2, one of which was also a replacement of the entire MCU after it failed.

They need to force the configuration from the server and reboot the entire car again. Make sure EVERYTHING works before you leave with it. Slacker account (You get a FREE vehicle account if you have premium connectivity whether you are paying for that or not), the XM radio if you got the tuner, ensure the FM and XM make sound even if it is the demo channel... Test EVERYTHING. Issues with the configuration are COMMON.