Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I got a ticket for no front license plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am already dreading that ugly front plate here in Texas after living in Florida all my life realizing this was an actual thing when I moved here.

Throw in the beautiful redesign of the S and it is even more annoying.

No need for it in DFW, at least, I've driven the past 3.5yrs in my S's without an issue. Sure, if they really need a reason to pull you over then they can use it, but so far, so good.

For the OP, 3M VHB is plenty strong enough to hold the plate, my last S had a couple or radar shifters fixed with it because I didn't want to drill, and no issues at all, regardless of whether it was 110f, or freezing cold with snow.

I really don't understand. The OP knew what the law was. They knew what the penalty for not complying with the law was. Yet they intentionally did not comply with the law, and got what they knew was the penalty for breaking the law. So why are they complaining?

Speedeamon said:
Of course its my fault but I was in West Hollywood where they're relentless on parking meter expiration as well.
Not a coincidence. We got a front license plate ticket in West Hollywood 2 weeks ago. The meter was not expired, they wrote up ONLY the license plate. They are parking nazis in West Hollywood. We once got a wheels-to-the-curb ticket there at the end of a cul-de-sac.

I spent a few days researching solutions on this forum, went with the J-bolts attaching a plate holder to the upper grille. Tesla's plate holder is intended to be drilled into the nose cone, will not work with J-bolts as it would be too low and obstruct the autopilot radar. So I got a plastic plate holder from Pep Boys and a locking Allen wrench system to attach the plate to the holder, total $10.

We have left the plate on for the time being but will remove it for road trips. It should leave no marks on nose cone or chrome, but I padded the plastic plate holder with foam just to be sure.

• Informative
Reactions: hybridbear
Thanks everyone for your helpful response, suggestions and links to creative solutions.
Yes, in Calif its the law to affix the front license plate. The ticket is $25 but will be reduced to $10 if inspected by an officer before two weeks. The ticket was issued while parked at a parking meter. Although I drive responsibly and am always concerned about safety, I don't believe in front license plates so I will install it to get it signed off and take it off when I get home and stay away from West Hollywood.

Thanks everyone for your helpful response, suggestions and links to creative solutions.
Yes, in Calif its the law to affix the front license plate. The ticket is $25 but will be reduced to $10 if inspected by an officer before two weeks. The ticket was issued while parked at a parking meter. Although I drive responsibly and am always concerned about safety, I don't believe in front license plates so I will install it to get it signed off and take it off when I get home and stay away from West Hollywood.
I've yet to install either one or my plates for fear of the "missing" front plate ticket while parked in Santa Monica. Now that the facelifted MS are hitting the streets a savvy ticket writer might know my car isn't really new. One of these days I'll get around to installing a plate or two

the folks in almost half the states in the union are plenty responsible, and yet are not required to display a front plate.
Front plates have little to do with safety. More to do with a large flat surface for a speed gun.

This is something else I don't understand when gazing across the Pond at the USA ...

In UK police cars are fitted with numberplate recognition cameras. They check the (i.e. front) number plates of all oncoming cars (and parked cars etc.). The traffic police can then pursue any that register as having a violation . Ditto we have CCTV with number plate recognition all over the place. On the few occasions when we have had a terrorist attack it has astonished, and reassured, me how quickly the police have released information about where the offenders vehicle has travelled. Sure CCTV could point at the back plate, but using front plate means you also get a picture of who the driver was at the time.

So assuming that this does enable law enforcement, why are folk in the USA so hung up on not having them - or perhaps,. more to the point, why is the law "vague" about such things?

The MN law enforcement position seems to be that the front plate is about safety. The law enforcement agencies argue that it is necessary when approaching a suspect vehicle or looking in traffic for a vehicle that was used in a crime to be able to see the front plate. I've often wondered why more criminals aren't smart enough to just swap out the license plates after committing a crime to avoid being found by their license plate...

I use the MagnePlate but I got it a year ago when I first got the car. I use it to carry my EZpass but only put it on when I expect to pass a toll booth. So far so good. I'd say it's on about 10 percent of the time. Sorry to hear they are no longer available, it's a great product!

Its an aesthetic thing, the plate tarnishes the otherwise clean front end design

Well, that would go for many cars with nice front designs.
Yet over here, there is no fuss about it at all. Front licence plates are mandatory here in Germany, like all the rest of Europe afaik, and everyone obeys this law. At least I have never ever seen a car without a front licence plate in any country I have been to - other that the US of course ;-)

Its an aesthetic thing, the plate tarnishes the otherwise clean front end design

Yup, I understand that part and can see why that is attractive. The bit I'm not understanding is why your nation chooses to trade that in preference of having better law enforcement.

One of the things that the number plate recognition has been used for, over here, is finding cars that either have no Road Tax or no Insurance. As prices of insurance rose it became more common for people to drive without insurance - which then meant that the chances of getting hit by an uninsured driver were higher, and then your insurance company couldn't reclaim any cost from the other party so insurance costs went up again! Number plate recognition has enabled the police to find such vehicles, and clamp down on uninsured drivers (Google says uninsured vehicles in the UK have fallen by 50% in the last 10 years :) )

• Informative
Reactions: hybridbear