Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I got a ticket for no front license plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup, I understand that part and can see why that is attractive. The bit I'm not understanding is why your nation chooses to trade that in preference of having better law enforcement.

One of the things that the number plate recognition has been used for, over here, is finding cars that either have no Road Tax or no Insurance. As prices of insurance rose it became more common for people to drive without insurance - which then meant that the chances of getting hit by an uninsured driver were higher, and then your insurance company couldn't reclaim any cost from the other party so insurance costs went up again! Number plate recognition has enabled the police to find such vehicles, and clamp down on uninsured drivers (Google says uninsured vehicles in the UK have fallen by 50% in the last 10 years :) )

All of which can be and is done already in parts of the States by reading the rear plate.

When a vehicle goes through an intersection that has camera coverage, images are taken of the front, side, and rear. Depending upon the quality of the equipment, the images from the front are clear enough to facilitate facial recognition. These images are stored for years.

Unless and until there is a set of national standards, the biggest problem is inconsistency across jurisdictions.

That said, as has been amply confirmed time and again, a front plate is utterly unnecessary. It is convenient for revenue generation, but hardly necessary.

Transit a toll road in a state that doesn't accept cash payments at the tollbooths (i.e., Florida). As if by magic, a bill will arrive at your home address in your home state (i.e., California). So simple.

Requiring just one plate and no silly HOV stickers would be efficient and sensible improvements. Bureaucracies don't like efficient and sensible. Less ways to assess hidden taxes. At the least, throw the money at technology. Simply scan rear plates in HOV lanes and mail the tickets. The first outcry you'll hear is from labor unions. And so it goes.

Point taken. Here's a converse view:

Concerning point #3:

"As of September 2009, the following states require only a license plate on the back bumper: Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Arizona, Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana and West Virginia."

I prefer our state not be included with those in a race to the bottom of the barrel. Just put the damn front plate on.

Last edited:
I prefer our state not be included with those in a race to the bottom of the barrel. Just put the damn front plate on.

It certainly is quite the curious collection of States.

I am reminded of a construction zone sign I saw during the last road trip: "25MPH. $200 AND 30 DAYS."

Best behaved construction zone I've seen on the continent to date. And where was it? South Carolina.

Lobbying for sensible legislation and the elimination of FUD-driven bad policy is a civic responsibility of paramount importance. Blindly following poorly-written statutes only begets more poorly-written statutes.

Harrumph.

• Disagree
Reactions: Atebit
I kind of wish they'd make a sticker we could use. As more and more EVs and low-drag vehicles hit the market, eventually that inefficiency is going to start adding up. I'd be more OK with a sticker than the flat plate.

In general, I think front plates are silly. Even still, I asked Tesla to put mine on when I bought my S, but they didn't. I haven't bothered to have them fix it. I probably should.

Reactions: javawolfpack
Get "The Law" front plate bracket which just attaches/bolts to the grid/grill at bottom under nosecone (if you have the older MS and not refreshed). It's quick and easy and you can remove it in the future and not have holes from drilling. Have one and like it. It also mounts a little lower than the nosecone so looks a little better.

I don't think the front plate looks so bad :cool:

IMG_0303.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0303.jpg
    IMG_0303.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 56
Reactions: rxlawdude and 808?
All of which can be and is done already in parts of the States by reading the rear plate

I have no real opinion on whether front plates are more effective. You never see a car over here without one, so of course I just assume that they are better / necessary ... but these thoughts occur to me:

A camera (facing the right way) can pick up rear plate just as well as front plate, but anyone driving past such a camera would slow down when they saw it, before being Snapped
Photo of front plate gets the driver too
Front facing camera on police car checks all oncoming traffic. I suppose a rear-facing camera on the back of the police car could do the same thing (dunno if less likely to have as clear a view of the car, once it has passed). Same issue with snapping the driver's face though.

At the scene of an e.g. hit & run crime eye witnesses may either see Front or Back plate, but not both; also, handy if the front bumper is left behind in the getaway :rolleyes:

But all that said, Motor Bikes (over here) aren't required to have front plates (dangerous to rider in an accident) so evade all the speed cameras.

I'd be more OK with a sticker than the flat plate

We used to allow those (typically E-type Jaguar had them on its curvaceous bonnet :) ). We since banned them ... but ... presumably, nowadays modern number plate recognition software would have no trouble reading them ...

• Informative
Reactions: TaoJones
Yup, I understand that part and can see why that is attractive. The bit I'm not understanding is why your nation chooses to trade that in preference of having better law enforcement.

One of the things that the number plate recognition has been used for, over here, is finding cars that either have no Road Tax or no Insurance. As prices of insurance rose it became more common for people to drive without insurance - which then meant that the chances of getting hit by an uninsured driver were higher, and then your insurance company couldn't reclaim any cost from the other party so insurance costs went up again! Number plate recognition has enabled the police to find such vehicles, and clamp down on uninsured drivers (Google says uninsured vehicles in the UK have fallen by 50% in the last 10 years :) )
I believe over here, the majority of non-compliance for front license plates are with higher end cars and exotics. Those that can't afford the insurance or fees install front plates in fear of having any reason to be pulled over.
BTW, what was more shocking to you: Brexit or England losing to Iceland?

I believe that not all police cars here in California are equipped with license plate scanners. I also believe that a front license plate is an easier target for peace officers to bounce LIDAR off to determine speed. (I will let the physicists confirm or refute this.)

I really cannot say that the use of front license plates keeps us safer as a society. But law enforcement makes it their priority to emphasize public safety in any situation, and the sheeple and the legislature believe them.

What is equally vexing for me is that with all registration and insurance information residing securely on the DMV/law enforcement shared data base, why we need to show proof of insurance and current vehicle registration these days. DMV is notified if we cancel or do not renew our insurance, so an insurance card is not "best evidence." And, if the registration is current and the name and/or address matches our driver license why bother?

• Informative
Reactions: TaoJones
When you pick up your car (from the Fremont Factory let's say), do they automatically install the front plate? or do they ask you first? And if they do, is it screwed in or something temporary?
I picked my car up at the factory and it was not installed. By all accounts I've read, as of the refresh where the front plate can be installed without modifying the bumper, all Model S are being delivered with a front plate holder in states that require them.

I picked my car up at the factory and it was not installed. By all accounts I've read, as of the refresh where the front plate can be installed without modifying the bumper, all Model S are being delivered with a front plate holder in states that require them.
Can someone verify if the refreshed model S, that they do install the license plate frame at pickup?

"I am reminded of a construction zone sign I saw during the last road trip: "25MPH. $200 AND 30 DAYS."
I'm reminded by a Three Stooges short where there was a sign that said "Fine for Fishing." I recall that was interpreted by the stooges differently than was intended by the authorities, as they tossed hook, line and sinker into the pond.

Harrumph indeed. :)

In my most unhumble opinion (IMMUHO)...F-em! I refuse to put a plate on the front of my car. I can't believe that WeHo is that persnickety. For G-d's sake, they are dealing with gay boys (of which I am one, so I can say that). This front plate thing is ridiculous. Why is it that some states require them and some do not? Nobody catches a plate from the front. Only the back: cops, EZPass, etc.

It's like requiring us to pull in front-first in a parking garage. Why???

There simply are more important things for our law enforcement to do. And I bet they agree.

Somehow no front license plate seems more punk rock. If "the man" has nothing better to do than harass me about that, so be it.

Reminds me of back when fat security guards used to chase me around for skateboarding outside the local mall. But then my wife made me come home and do our taxes.

• Funny
Reactions: rxlawdude