TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

I got free supercharging on my model 3... Not sure how...

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by oripaamoni, Jun 22, 2018.

1. oripaamoni

oripaamoni Member

Can anybody explain this? every other supercharging I have done was paid. This is the first time is didn't get charged.

Attached Files:

2. davewill

davewill Member

Free SuperCharging weekend? :)

3. SigNC

SigNC Member

Some stations from what i've seen may be flagged offline and never hit your CC or count up on the dash that they will. It's happened to me once.

4. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

Before I even saw your picture, I was about to ask if it was the one in San Diego, and then I saw that it was. I saw this reported by a few people a month or two ago on this forum. Apparently Tesla has that San Diego one set to be free for everyone. I think it's kind of an apology for how constantly overwhelmingly packed it is, while they are building a few more in the San Diego area to address that capacity problem.

• Informative x 2
  5. kev1n

kev1n Member

isnt that a bit backwards? putting it free would cause more congestion..

• Like x 5
  6. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

There is not a WAY for it to be any more congested right now, since it is actually full with a line of cars waiting all the time. Everyone is having to wait, which is why this does make a bit of sense.

• Informative x 1
  7. oripaamoni

oripaamoni Member

Ya of the 8 times i have been (mostly with the loaner S I had for 5 week, only once with my 3) by best position in line has been 3rd usually I am around the corner 5th to 7th. I will visit again and report back, If it really is free for everybody I might have to visit a bit more frequently...

8. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

Qualcomm has always been an outlyer for Tesla. Has it's own personality. Lots of Livery drivers fuel up there several times a day, the many Qualcomm employees find it convenient, some local residents use it for personal charging.

Since it is usually full people must share chargers and split the current. This makes each user take up a stall for longer which often causes lines to form.

Your no charge charge might just be a glitch that you will be billed for later, or you might have gotten a freebie.

Some others have posted that they were not billed for their first charge or two, but seems like they are getting a better handle on their billing proceedures.

Things are looking up for San DIego with a new Supercharger opening down town, one in Carlsbad and others in the works.

Maybe Christmas just came a little early for you : >)

9. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

10. oripaamoni

oripaamoni Member

I took delivery in Fremont and drove straight home, my first stop was at the massive Kettleman city supercharger and didn't get charged but got charged on all the other stops on the way home.

11. animorph

animorph Member

Back in April 2017 we took the X, which originally came without free Supercharging, on a cross-country trip. At least one and I think two or three Supercharger stops charged us $0 for non-trivial charges. Pretty much as soon as we got back Tesla came out with free Supercharging for everyone again and refunded all of our Supercharger payments. I assume they just weren't quite ready yet, but it has happened before.

• Informative x 1
  12. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Member

Took a weekend trip a month ago and didn't get billed at two SuC's (in IL) on the way there, but I did at the same two on the way back. Odd.

13. SDKoala

SDKoala Member

Looks about right. We're definitely hurting for superchargers.

14. timk225

timk225 Active Member

Tesla just sent me a $28.00 check, and I don't know what it's for. I put it in the bank.

I just came back from a 1500 mile road trip on sunday night, and the last supercharger stop in Ohio never showed up in my Tesla account, but all the others did.

15. PoitNarf

PoitNarf The Clown Prince of Crime

I’ve only supercharged a handful of times but two of those times I was not charged. Not really sure why. One was a supercharger in NJ the other in CT.

16. Fusion

Fusion Member

As some already mentioned. San Diego supercharger is currently free for everyone.

17. scrapps

scrapps Member

Both the Darien, CT Super chargers have been free for the pat 2 months, but we need to shut up and not draw attention to this ;) Ooopps

18. PoitNarf

PoitNarf The Clown Prince of Crime

Yep, that was the one at CT I encountered.

19. EldestOyster

EldestOyster Member

The problem with the perfect crime is that no one ever knows about it. So, I have to come clean. We'd had the car about 2 weeks and we were driving around San Diego checking out the service, prep, and delivery centers. Qualcomm was on the way home--well, I kind of made it be on the way home, especially after the map showed 5/12 in use. So we stopped in to play with the chargers. Just rolled right in and plugged in. And after all that, they didn't charge us anything! We didn't know what was going on, but I guess that's how it's set up. This was 10:30 PM on a weekend. Nothing really out of the ordinary.

San Clemente is our other late night favorite. We pay retail at that one. I consider it cheap entertainment.
    Other than four SC visits, the best charging is still in our garage.

20. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

We know Tesla folks read this and other forums. So, they might just see your comment and "fix" this free supercharging problem you have.