Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I got my car today.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

The good:
  • The service was excellent and they didn't lie about quality.. They pointed out some of the flaws, politely recorded the ones I pointed out for them, and made it clear that they take responsibility for fixing them.
  • Generally, they made the whole thing pleasant, accommodated the fact that I showed up early, and didn't keep me waiting or rush me. And, of course, they all wore masks and nobody tried to shake my hand.
  • It's a Performance Model Y with the PUP, so it was mind-blowingly amazing to drive. I could babble on and on about how great it was, but this is the sort of thing that I either don't need to explain or couldn't anyhow.
  • No, seriously, it was amazing. No matter what the problems are, it was totally worth it. I kind of lucked out having to pick up the car up 50 miles inland and drive it home down these curving country lanes on a beautiful day. There were also enough straightaways to test out the higher end of the speed, although I barely got into triple digits.
  • As you can see, it's beautiful: red and black is a classic combo. The car is bigger in person than I expected and the glass roof looks great from both the inside and the outside, although especially from the back seats. The rear window wasn't hard to see through, either; it's a small slit, but exactly in the right place.
  • The seat was comfortable, ride noise was low, and it was a pleasure to drive. Did I mention the performance was amazing? Ok, ok, I'll stop about that.
  • I'm going to to switch to the bad now, but I want to make it clear that I'm still really happy. I would do it all over again. And, despite some defects, I think I got one of the better ones.
The bad:
  • For some reason, Google Maps has two entries for Tesla in Mt Kisco; the real one, and a parking lot on Carpenter just a couple of miles away. This led to some confusion for my Lyft driver. Not Tesla's fault, but still bad.
  • I ordered the tow hitch but it did not come installed. They didn't notice this until I pointed it out, but promised it would be installed once it became available.
  • It came with an older version of the software, and that's why the A/C didn't work properly. I installed the upgrade once I got it home, which fixed it. Kinda wish they'd done this ahead of time.
  • There were some external paint issues, including chipping on both front door handles, some sort of paint damage on the driver-side door, and what looks like a small blob of glue on the black area above the rear passenger-side door. They readily agreed to fix these, although I will let the detailer decide which they'd rather do themselves instead of trusting Tesla. The car's also not that clean on the outside; some of the other apparent flaws wiped away with a cloth, either because they were adhesive from protective film or just a coating of road dust.
  • Both of the buttons in the back drop the same seats (the left and middle pair). The right seat still drops fine if you use the button on top of it. Again, they acknowledged this defect and agreed to fix it, at least once they have some way to do so. Clearly, the wiring is messed up.
  • The headliner on the driver's side, near the window, is a bit loose. Not terrible, but definitely needs fixing. The coat hanger on that side is wonky. I could get it to work with effort, but if I don't mess with it just right, it either won't stay closed or it closes a bit too deep and needs to be nudged back into alignment.
  • The piano-black surface for the center console is terrible. If you even look at it funny, it gets smears and fingerprints, but when you clean it, it gets streaks. I'm strongly considering wrapping it. But that woodgrain center bar is starting to grow on me, so maybe it'll stay.
  • Between the A/C and my aggressive driving, I did not get great mileage. Not sure how indicative this is of future performance, but it's worth noting.
That's all for now. Tomorrow, I bring it to the detailer for an inspection, then set up a service call with Tesla. After the externals are as fixed as they're going to be, it'll be time for the paint correction, PPF, and ceramic coating.

Like I said above, I'm definitely considering getting the center console wrapped. I might also go for some hydrophobic coating on the windows, but I'd like to try it out in the rain first. Not sure I want to bother with protective coating for the leatherish seats, but it's a thought. Depending on how the A/C works after the upgrade, I might consider a heavier tint on the roof and side windows.

All in all, I'm happy.

Last edited:
Took delivery June 24th. No problem and smooth delivery Black/Black LR, 19. VIN 12xxx.

Excellent delivery experience.

Only 1 issue found, Charge Port Door not flush - Have a service appt scheduled 2nd week of July.

Seems like charge port door not flush seems a very common issue now that it is been brought up in all different forums.

A DREAM car to drive. :)

Three new problems.

- There's what looks like a horizontal scratch on my windshield, a bit above head level on the driver's side. I didn't notice it because I had the shade down.
- My tire pressure is listed as "-- PSI" for all four. I think this is supposed to fix itself after a while, so not panicking..
- I'm charging using a 110V extension cord (will be installing the Tesla Wall Charger soon) but it's barely working. The phone app says it's charging at 1kW, 110v, 9/12 A.

Three new problems.

- There's what looks like a horizontal scratch on my windshield, a bit above head level on the driver's side. I didn't notice it because I had the shade down.
- My tire pressure is listed as "-- PSI" for all four. I think this is supposed to fix itself after a while, so not panicking..
- I'm charging using a 110V extension cord (will be installing the Tesla Wall Charger soon) but it's barely working. The phone app says it's charging at 1kW, 110v, 9/12 A.
-That's no good
- Yes, that should correct itself after a few miles driven
- That setup yields about 3 miles per hour, IIRC, so "barely working" sounds about right. Make sure the extension cord and/or plugs aren't getting hot.

-That's no good
- Yes, that should correct itself after a few miles driven
- That setup yields about 3 miles per hour, IIRC, so "barely working" sounds about right. Make sure the extension cord and/or plugs aren't getting hot.

- It's not. I don't really want them to replace the entire windshield, but I also don't want a weird blemish in my line of sight for traffic lights. I will definitely bring this up as part of my service call.

- Good. Thanks.

- It's a nice, heavy-duty cord that I originally used with a snow blower, so it's staying cool. But, yeah, it's absolutely horrible. I definitely need to expedite that installation!

I'm looking at this video, where he's seeing 120V, 12/12 A. I think this means I need a different extension cord and/or to plug it in somewhere else.

I need to call my electrician. I put this off due to the pandemic, especially with the delivery delayed indefinitely, but now I'm regretting it.

Pro tip: Don't do what I did.

Beautiful car - congratulations! I like the way you were thorough and with realistic expectations. Enjoy your new MY.
Thanks. Honestly, it could have been so much worse. What helped immensely is this forum, not only for keeping me sane while waiting for delivery, but helping me get more informed. I knew the A/C problem was going to be fixed by an update, and I used a defect checklist that was posted here. Tesla has a great community.

Reactions: EVortex
What was the software version with your delivery?

The good:
  • The service was excellent and they didn't lie about quality.. They pointed out some of the flaws, politely recorded the ones I pointed out for them, and made it clear that they take responsibility for fixing them.
  • Generally, they made the whole thing pleasant, accommodated the fact that I showed up early, and didn't keep me waiting or rush me. And, of course, they all wore masks and nobody tried to shake my hand.
  • It's a Performance Model Y with the PUP, so it was mind-blowingly amazing to drive. I could babble on and on about how great it was, but this is the sort of thing that I either don't need to explain or couldn't anyhow.
  • No, seriously, it was amazing. No matter what the problems are, it was totally worth it. I kind of lucked out having to pick up the car up 50 miles inland and drive it home down these curving country lanes on a beautiful day. There were also enough straightaways to test out the higher end of the speed, although I barely got into triple digits.
  • As you can see, it's beautiful: red and black is a classic combo. The car is bigger in person than I expected and the glass roof looks great from both the inside and the outside, although especially from the back seats. The rear window wasn't hard to see through, either; it's a small slit, but exactly in the right place.
  • The seat was comfortable, ride noise was low, and it was a pleasure to drive. Did I mention the performance was amazing? Ok, ok, I'll stop about that.
  • I'm going to to switch to the bad now, but I want to make it clear that I'm still really happy. I would do it all over again. And, despite some defects, I think I got one of the better ones.
The bad:
  • For some reason, Google Maps has two entries for Tesla in Mt Kisco; the real one, and a parking lot on Carpenter just a couple of miles away. This led to some confusion for my Lyft driver. Not Tesla's fault, but still bad.
  • I ordered the tow hitch but it did not come installed. They didn't notice this until I pointed it out, but promised it would be installed once it became available.
  • It came with an older version of the software, and that's why the A/C didn't work properly. I installed the upgrade once I got it home, which fixed it. Kinda wish they'd done this ahead of time.
  • There were some external paint issues, including chipping on both front door handles, some sort of paint damage on the driver-side door, and what looks like a small blob of glue on the black area above the rear passenger-side door. They readily agreed to fix these, although I will let the detailer decide which they'd rather do themselves instead of trusting Tesla. The car's also not that clean on the outside; some of the other apparent flaws wiped away with a cloth, either because they were adhesive from protective film or just a coating of road dust.
  • Both of the buttons in the back drop the same seats (the left and middle pair). The right seat still drops fine if you use the button on top of it. Again, they acknowledged this defect and agreed to fix it, at least once they have some way to do so. Clearly, the wiring is messed up.
  • The headliner on the driver's side, near the window, is a bit loose. Not terrible, but definitely needs fixing. The coat hanger on that side is wonky. I could get it to work with effort, but if I don't mess with it just right, it either won't stay closed or it closes a bit too deep and needs to be nudged back into alignment.
  • The piano-black surface for the center console is terrible. If you even look at it funny, it gets smears and fingerprints, but when you clean it, it gets streaks. I'm strongly considering wrapping it. But that woodgrain center bar is starting to grow on me, so maybe it'll stay.
  • Between the A/C and my aggressive driving, I did not get great mileage. Not sure how indicative this is of future performance, but it's worth noting.
That's all for now. Tomorrow, I bring it to the detailer for an inspection, then set up a service call with Tesla. After the externals are as fixed as they're going to be, it'll be time for the paint correction, PPF, and ceramic coating.

Like I said above, I'm definitely considering getting the center console wrapped. I might also go for some hydrophobic coating on the windows, but I'd like to try it out in the rain first. Not sure I want to bother with protective coating for the leatherish seats, but it's a thought. Depending on how the A/C works after the upgrade, I might consider a heavier tint on the roof and side windows.

All in all, I'm happy.

The good:
The bad:

All in all, I'm happy.

The good:
The bad:

All in all, I'm happy.
Yes, wrap the piano black console with PPF film. That is what I just did on my model Y and did that on my model 3 about two years ago, so console does not have a scratch on it and stays beautifully black and shiny!

Reactions: Electric Steve
Yes, wrap the piano black console with PPF film. That is what I just did on my model Y and did that on my model 3 about two years ago, so console does not have a scratch on it and stays beautifully black and shiny!
I don't even want it to be shiny. I want it to blend in with the look of the car, not stick out, and not be something I have to wipe down carefully every day.

So I'm thinking an opaque wrap in some shade of black. Maybe carbon fiber to match the spoiler?

I don't even want it to be shiny. I want it to blend in with the look of the car, not stick out, and not be something I have to wipe down carefully every day.

So I'm thinking an opaque wrap in some shade of black. Maybe carbon fiber to match the spoiler?
There are a bunch of after market matte and carbon fiber wraps...on Evannex, Abstract Ocean, EV wraps, Amazon... think they are vinyl rather than PPF, it if you like matte you have a number of options. There are kits with matching vinyl for the smooth pats of your steering wheel too...around the Tesla symbol on steering wheel. I just happen to like the shiny piano black and wanted to keep it that way but not have scratches.

Reactions: Electric Steve
There are a bunch of after market matte and carbon fiber wraps...on Evannex, Abstract Ocean, EV wraps, Amazon... think they are vinyl rather than PPF, it if you like matte you have a number of options. There are kits with matching vinyl for the smooth pats of your steering wheel too...around the Tesla symbol on steering wheel. I just happen to like the shiny piano black and wanted to keep it that way but not have scratches.
I visited Darien Detailing today and they suggested a black-tinted PPF for the center console, so I'm probably going with that.

We also talked tinting. The plan is to get the front side windows to almost match the rear (within the limits of what's legal), and then put a light tint (I think 70%) on the windshield, more for heat rejection and glare than anything else.

Now all I have to do is get Tesla to fix some of the paint defects.

Quick update.

I got a warning that charging wasn't as fast as it should be due to the use of an extension cord. This fits in with seeing "9 / 12 A" on the charging display.

To fix this, I replaced the extension cord with a shorter one that's just barely long enough to reach even after I switched to a closer outdoor socket. Now it reads "12 / 12 A" and it's charging proportionally faster.

Not sure that anyone's stuck with 110V like I am for now, but I hope this tip helps.

• Informative
Reactions: endizguyz