Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I got my car today.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

The good:
  • The service was excellent and they didn't lie about quality.. They pointed out some of the flaws, politely recorded the ones I pointed out for them, and made it clear that they take responsibility for fixing them.
  • Generally, they made the whole thing pleasant, accommodated the fact that I showed up early, and didn't keep me waiting or rush me. And, of course, they all wore masks and nobody tried to shake my hand.
  • It's a Performance Model Y with the PUP, so it was mind-blowingly amazing to drive. I could babble on and on about how great it was, but this is the sort of thing that I either don't need to explain or couldn't anyhow.
  • No, seriously, it was amazing. No matter what the problems are, it was totally worth it. I kind of lucked out having to pick up the car up 50 miles inland and drive it home down these curving country lanes on a beautiful day. There were also enough straightaways to test out the higher end of the speed, although I barely got into triple digits.
  • As you can see, it's beautiful: red and black is a classic combo. The car is bigger in person than I expected and the glass roof looks great from both the inside and the outside, although especially from the back seats. The rear window wasn't hard to see through, either; it's a small slit, but exactly in the right place.
  • The seat was comfortable, ride noise was low, and it was a pleasure to drive. Did I mention the performance was amazing? Ok, ok, I'll stop about that.
  • I'm going to to switch to the bad now, but I want to make it clear that I'm still really happy. I would do it all over again. And, despite some defects, I think I got one of the better ones.
The bad:
  • For some reason, Google Maps has two entries for Tesla in Mt Kisco; the real one, and a parking lot on Carpenter just a couple of miles away. This led to some confusion for my Lyft driver. Not Tesla's fault, but still bad.
  • I ordered the tow hitch but it did not come installed. They didn't notice this until I pointed it out, but promised it would be installed once it became available.
  • It came with an older version of the software, and that's why the A/C didn't work properly. I installed the upgrade once I got it home, which fixed it. Kinda wish they'd done this ahead of time.
  • There were some external paint issues, including chipping on both front door handles, some sort of paint damage on the driver-side door, and what looks like a small blob of glue on the black area above the rear passenger-side door. They readily agreed to fix these, although I will let the detailer decide which they'd rather do themselves instead of trusting Tesla. The car's also not that clean on the outside; some of the other apparent flaws wiped away with a cloth, either because they were adhesive from protective film or just a coating of road dust.
  • Both of the buttons in the back drop the same seats (the left and middle pair). The right seat still drops fine if you use the button on top of it. Again, they acknowledged this defect and agreed to fix it, at least once they have some way to do so. Clearly, the wiring is messed up.
  • The headliner on the driver's side, near the window, is a bit loose. Not terrible, but definitely needs fixing. The coat hanger on that side is wonky. I could get it to work with effort, but if I don't mess with it just right, it either won't stay closed or it closes a bit too deep and needs to be nudged back into alignment.
  • The piano-black surface for the center console is terrible. If you even look at it funny, it gets smears and fingerprints, but when you clean it, it gets streaks. I'm strongly considering wrapping it. But that woodgrain center bar is starting to grow on me, so maybe it'll stay.
  • Between the A/C and my aggressive driving, I did not get great mileage. Not sure how indicative this is of future performance, but it's worth noting.
That's all for now. Tomorrow, I bring it to the detailer for an inspection, then set up a service call with Tesla. After the externals are as fixed as they're going to be, it'll be time for the paint correction, PPF, and ceramic coating.

Like I said above, I'm definitely considering getting the center console wrapped. I might also go for some hydrophobic coating on the windows, but I'd like to try it out in the rain first. Not sure I want to bother with protective coating for the leatherish seats, but it's a thought. Depending on how the A/C works after the upgrade, I might consider a heavier tint on the roof and side windows.

All in all, I'm happy.
I got the carbon fiber center console wrap from Abstract Ocean, super easy to install and looks great. Congratulations on you new car!

I got the carbon fiber center console wrap from Abstract Ocean, super easy to install and looks great. Congratulations on you new car!
How does that look in real life? With actual carbon fiber, there's a mesh of ribbons suspended in epoxy, and you can see that when you move your head around. With vinyl, I'd imagine that it's just a flat picture of that mesh.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Enjoy your vehicle and am happy for you and learning from your experiences. Thank you. My MY should b very similar to the one you got. I patiently wait with anticipation :)
Or not so patiently. ;)

I hope your car is in even better shape than mine. I can tell you that, defects aside, it is the most amazing vehicle to actually drive.

I'm holding on to my previous car for a few more weeks until I get all the initial work completed on the Tesla, but I absolutely loathe the idea of driving it, not because it's so terrible, but because there's just no going back.

I have a quick follow-up comment/question:

The cover for the charging socket isn't perfectly flush when closed. This appears to be true for the other M-Y's they had sitting around. Is this a flaw or just the way it works for this car?
I picked up my MY yesterday and had the same issue with the port door not being flush. SC could not fix it A couple of other MYs in the lot were fine. They did address other fit/finish issues I spotted and I went ahead with delivery. I do I hope Tesla is able to come up with a fix.

Reactions: Electric Steve
I'm looking at this video, where he's seeing 120V, 12/12 A. I think this means I need a different extension cord and/or to plug it in somewhere else.

I need to call my electrician. I put this off due to the pandemic, especially with the delivery delayed indefinitely, but now I'm regretting it.

Pro tip: Don't do what I did.
Congrats Steve! The extension cord could make a difference. Shorter cords (say 10' instead of 25') and larger gauge wire in the cord (12 Gauge is larger than 14 Gauge in wire size). The combination of a shorter cord and larger conductor will allow the greatest amount of current to flow.

Three new problems.

- There's what looks like a horizontal scratch on my windshield, a bit above head level on the driver's side. I didn't notice it because I had the shade down.
- My tire pressure is listed as "-- PSI" for all four. I think this is supposed to fix itself after a while, so not panicking..
- I'm charging using a 110V extension cord (will be installing the Tesla Wall Charger soon) but it's barely working. The phone app says it's charging at 1kW, 110v, 9/12 A.

1 Kilowatt is about right for charging off of 110V. That will add range at about 4 miles per hour of charging. Depending on the capacity of the 240v circuit you wire your Tesla Wall Charger, it will be 8 - 12X faster.

• Informative
How does that look in real life? With actual carbon fiber, there's a mesh of ribbons suspended in epoxy, and you can see that when you move your head around. With vinyl, I'd imagine that it's just a flat picture of that mesh.

Here's what it looks like installed in my M3. The 'carbon fiber' adds the look with a little texture but not heavily textured like actual carbon fiber. I'm very happy with it as I was not looking for a completely 'flat' look. The Abstract Ocean products are great.

Congrats on your new MY. Wife wants one!

Attachments

• 20200701_164140.jpg
    20200701_164140.jpg
    664.5 KB · Views: 108
I luckily had an unused 220 oulet for a dryer (my gas dryer uses 110v). I bought the heaviest gauge 240 extension cord I could find (and bought the matching 240 adapter from Tesla, both of which combined cost $385 less than the Tesla WC) and my M3 charges @ 23 mph. Originally I was going to get a wall connector, but the electrician said my electrical box couldn't handle that much increase in wattage and I'd have to put in a bigger box and new bigger wiring from the street to my house. Since my electricity comes to my house underground, I'd be on the hook for tearing up the sidewalk and replacing the concrete. I wasn't going to spend an extra $8k for all of that. As I said above, luckily I had an unused 240v outlet. It actually worked out better than if I had spent the the money on the WC since I was able to hang the charging connector from the ceiling above the chargeport on the car (there's no wall near the chargeport to mount a WC).

• Informative
I'm due to take delivery at Mount Kisco of my Model Y soon. But here's my problem. I live 3 1/2 hours away. How does one get all these fixes big and small for every new Model Y done ahead of time? I'm driving in, I'm driving out, and I can't just hang out in Westchester, NY, for several days. Any advice?
--JS

I picked up my MY yesterday and had the same issue with the port door not being flush. SC could not fix it A couple of other MYs in the lot were fine. They did address other fit/finish issues I spotted and I went ahead with delivery. I do I hope Tesla is able to come up with a fix.
When I pointed it out, the Tesla rep took a look at other cars on the lot, and they all had the same problem. (I saw this for myself, so they were not BSing me.)

I'm due to take delivery at Mount Kisco of my Model Y soon. But here's my problem. I live 3 1/2 hours away. How does one get all these fixes big and small for every new Model Y done ahead of time? I'm driving in, I'm driving out, and I can't just hang out in Westchester, NY, for several days. Any advice?
--JS
In my case, I did have to take a 50-mile cab ride through scenic country roads to get there, but there's a much closer dealership in Milford, maybe 12 highway miles away, and they're the ones handling the my complaints. In fact, they made my appointment Mobile Service, so I don't have to drive even that far. However, I'm certain they're going to have to drive it back to Milford in order to fix the paint issues. Maybe they'll leave behind the car they took here as a loaner?

So, I'm not exactly sure where in upstate NY you are, but based on what you did say, it really doesn't look like there are any dealerships close by. I'm betting they'll offer you Mobile Service, too.

I luckily had an unused 220 oulet for a dryer (my gas dryer uses 110v). I bought the heaviest gauge 240 extension cord I could find (and bought the matching 240 adapter from Tesla, both of which combined cost $385 less than the Tesla WC) and my M3 charges @ 23 mph. Originally I was going to get a wall connector, but the electrician said my electrical box couldn't handle that much increase in wattage and I'd have to put in a bigger box and new bigger wiring from the street to my house. Since my electricity comes to my house underground, I'd be on the hook for tearing up the sidewalk and replacing the concrete. I wasn't going to spend an extra $8k for all of that. As I said above, luckily I had an unused 240v outlet. It actually worked out better than if I had spent the the money on the WC since I was able to hang the charging connector from the ceiling above the chargeport on the car (there's no wall near the chargeport to mount a WC).
I'm glad it worked out to you. I gave serious thought to just going the route of a dryer-style outlet, and I admit it would probably be good enough. Fortunately, I'm pretty sure I have enough capacity to take full advantage of the Wall Charger. Will find out in two days, when the electrician drops by.