Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I got my first rock chip :'(

What should I do?

• Ruined, buy a new car.

Votes: 32 32.7%
  • Ignore it, from now on your car will just be beautiful on the INSIDE.

Votes: 15 15.3%
  • Go get the PPF everyone said to get 9999 times! How have you lasted 9 months??

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Try to fix the chip. Then get PPF dummy.

Votes: 15 15.3%
  • Try to fix the chip. Too late for PPF dummy.

Votes: 14 14.3%
  • I have tons of chips and they build character!

Votes: 27 27.6%
  • I don't care about your paint, but polls are fun.

Votes: 13 13.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a tiny rock chip just below my Tesla T in front. It might as well be 3 feet by 3 feet because I will never unsee it (even tho it is tiny). I got lucky for 9 months without any PPF but now I think this is the kick in the pants I needed to finally pony up. Will most places fix my chip(s), do the overall paint correction, and then install the PPF as one service? Or do I need to go to separate places? Has anyone gotten PPF late, after already taking a little bit of damage? If so, how did that work out for you?
20201229_120747.jpg

I have a tiny rock chip just below my Tesla T in front. It might as well be 3 feet by 3 feet because I will never unsee it (even tho it is tiny). I got lucky for 9 months without any PPF but now I think this is the kick in the pants I needed to finally pony up. Will most places fix my chip(s), do the overall paint correction, and then install the PPF as one service? Or do I need to go to separate places? Has anyone gotten PPF late, after already taking a little bit of damage? If so, how did that work out for you?
View attachment 622103
It’s always more expensive to do PPF later as they will have to correct the paint before installation. Probably, $500 more depending on how much PPF you want to do. I love the XPEL on my car and glad I drove straight from the delivery center to the PPF place. The best part about PPF is I can wipe the front of bugs and crap without having to worry about microscratches as it’s elf healing. I think you’ll be happy if you got it.

PPF and/or ceramic coating will not fully protect from chips, nicks, scratches... only reduce the count and severity of these as they strike the frontal area and anywhere else they see fit.

The right kind of rock travelling at the right velocity can and will chip the PPF and can even make it down and throught the paint below.

• Informative
Reactions: LionXng
I've had bad experiences (poor color match, bad prep, peeling edges, etc) with repainted bumpers which is why I would use Dr Colorchip or similar first before you attempt a more pricey repair. With chip repair kit, it will likely be invisible from a few feet away.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: LionXng and f308gt4
View attachment 622103

Option H: Have fun with it!

Like others said, just have fun with the car. Chips will happen.

FYI, I ended up getting a Dr Color Chip kit for my car. IMO, the blue does not match well. Better than nothing, but it still shows.

Nothing worse looking than a car with paint chips all over. Well maybe dents... PPF can help with some of those too.

What to do? I guess it depends what you want the car too look like in a few years. Some don’t care what their vehicle looks like. We didn’t before but given the price point, we opted to get PPF right from the delivery center on my husband’s and I couldn’t get an appointment for mine until about a month later. Neither of us regret doing it and it has saved us from door dings and rock chips. As mentioned doesn’t protect against everything like the commercial truck that scraped my husband’s car pulling out of a parking space; saved a good part of it from damage until he turned the metal step off the back of it into our Tesla and gouged the panel with the step’s corner edge.

PPF did save the paint when he got too close to a wooden post when parking at a hiking trail. Just scraped the film and left the paint undamaged. Without it the car would be looking pretty bad after 3+ years. My car isn’t driven as much as his so has been less prone to damage but we coated both cars with ceramic on top of the PPF and just love how easy they clean up and look shiny new. Nice driving around a car that still looks new after owning several years.