Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • We just completed a significant update, but we still have some fixes and adjustments to make. Please see this thread for more details and to find out how to revert to the old design. Cheers!

I got pulled over, and let go 2nd time!

So about 3 weeks ago, I was driving home on an empty freeway around 11pm. There was some cones set up and I was getting confused because I had a freeway change coming up, and thought that ramp was closed due to cones so I took the nearest exit thinking I needed to detour. I ended up having to detour through a college campus / Cal Poly Pomona and after driving through that campus and about 5 minutes later after getting off, a cop pulled me over. I checked my speed and I was going around 46 mph in a 45 mph zone indicated on my Tesla screen, basically I was getting pulled over for going the speed limit.

Then the cop asked if I was drunk, claiming I was straddling lines and stuff, and ran a stop sign. Kind of gave me hard time, but since I knew I wasn't drunk and that was his main reason to pull me over, I felt he had nothing. He did his watch the pen test. Then asks for my license, goes to his car. Then he comes back and says since I wasn't speeding, but mainly accelerating fast but not going over the speed limit once reached, he thought it was okay. Said I did run a stop sign, he said he will dismiss that, mainly because he said it was not crowded. But I'm just wondering if cops give Teslas breaks because this was my 2nd time I got pulled over, but not given a ticket. Or is it because Tesla go fast, but much easier to stop speeding at the speed limit because no gears are shifting. I have the video on my camera, just haven't uploaded to youtube yet, but want to.

When I had my Lime Rock BMW M3, I hardly got a break. I did only get one break once. But having that BMW M3 was a cop magnet, I always felt I had to be careful b/c I feel cops discriminate against any car that resembles a car from Need for Speed. Maybe Tesla Model 3 are less intimidating?

• Disagree
Reactions: jostrick
Upvote 0
Were you courteous and respectful? I've gotten away with a verbal or written warning more often than not, just by being nice. It doesn't always work, but it should always be your default. At minimum I've always gotten the ticket written for slower than I was clocked at.

Were you courteous and respectful? I've gotten away with a verbal or written warning more often than not, just by being nice. It doesn't always work, but it should always be your default. At minimum I've always gotten the ticket written for slower than I was clocked at.

Well, I was respectful, but not submissive. If I felt I was being questioned something like, "did you feel the bumps on those lines" or "did you not see that stop sign, I don't say yes or no because if I say yes I confess to doing something wrong, if I say no, it sounds like I'm lying or denying my action or being disrespectful to the officer. So found a neutral way and said maybe like "I wasn't aware if I truly did that".

I think the officer just wanted to ensure I wasn't drunk and that was his main reason of pulling me over. Also it was night time and an empty college campus. I felt he had a power trip because he still pulled me over, but at the end the day he was okay for me to record him and encouraged everyone to do it acknowledging the police should be held accountable for their actions. I guess cops are not always able to be correct when they think they're pulling over a drunk driver, and possibly the moving pen test is a reliable indicator before making a decision to possibly arrest the driver.

Oct 10, 2019
So-Cal
But I'm just wondering if cops give Teslas breaks because this was my 2nd time I got pulled over, but not given a ticket.
In my area tesla cops see it as i have the money to pay for a ticket (i do, but not that much) so even though i am calm and respectful if I'm in the tesla I'm not getting out of *sugar*. Except one time i had my dog with me and a sexy ass CHP pulled me over for doing 85 in a 65 and she let me go with only a ticket for having the wrong address on my license.

In my area tesla cops see it as i have the money to pay for a ticket (i do, but not that much) so even though i am calm and respectful if I'm in the tesla I'm not getting out of *sugar*. Except one time i had my dog with me and a sexy ass CHP pulled me over for doing 85 in a 65 and she let me go with only a ticket for having the wrong address on my license.

I think it has to do with how the Tesla accelerates, its the easier car to go fast but not go above the speed limit. So on both occasions, I think it was something like the cops said "I was going fast, but technically not over the speed limit" so I was just accelerating ASAP to the speed limit, then obeying the speed limit.

Mainly because the car has regenerative braking so it helps obey the speed limit, while ICE sports cars like the BMW M3 is alot easier to forget b/c of shifting and noise. I'm kind of glad I stopped driving the BMW M3, it was very tempting to speed no ICE sports car is fun to drive slow.

Also Tesla has autopilot, so eliminates that human error to mindlessly drive too fast.

Oct 10, 2019
So-Cal
I think it has to do with how the Tesla accelerates, its the easier car to go fast but not go above the speed limit. So on both occasions, I think it was something like the cops said "I was going fast, but technically not over the speed limit" so I was just accelerating ASAP to the speed limit, then obeying the speed limit.

Mainly because the car has regenerative braking so it helps obey the speed limit, while ICE sports cars like the BMW M3 is alot easier to forget b/c of shifting and noise. I'm kind of glad I stopped driving the BMW M3, it was very tempting to speed no ICE sports car is fun to drive slow.

Also Tesla has autopilot, so eliminates that human error to mindlessly drive too fast.
In all my old cars I drive 15+ over the limit at any given time. With the tesla it is no different, I bought the car because I wanted more power. This is my first car that is not a manual transmission and I miss shifting.
Also I have AP1 and I use it from time to time but I prefer to drive myself. Also AP only works up to 90 mph and I prefer to cruise on the freeway at least 100, (I live in the middle of nowhere there isn't much other cars on the roads).
Ya know what helps me obey speed limits? My radar detector going off. I never got a ticket in 15 years with a valentine one. But I've gotten stopped 4 times in the tesla with my whistler all because Tesla has the ****ing metallic coating in the windshield that blocks everything. And NO there is NOT a special "open" spot for a fast pass transponder that I could stick the damn detector.

cwerdna

Jul 11, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
As I've posted before, you can get pulled over and ticketed for accelerating too quickly in California. I've been pulled over for that and let go decades ago for just that in a 140ish hp V6 FWD Dodge Caravan. See Easier to avoid speeding tickets in Tesla?. I also point to the CVC there.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC